Failed attempt at trying to get a non o in BKK

Wow, what a mess. I am sorry to see that you have to deal with all of this. It would be so simple if all of the immigration places did it exactly the same and that they supplied a checklist for all foreigners to follow. That is why I use an agent here in Chiang Mai. From when I first arrived in Thailand and every year since then for my extension. It cost me just 5500 baht and they handle everything 100%. For 400 baht more they handle all of the bank paperwork too. When the agent has everything done, then I meet them at immigration, just to take a picture and then 3 minutes later the agent hands me my passport and everything is complete. I never have to see or talk to immigration at all. I know a lot of expats don't believe in using agents, but I do. I have been here 7 years and never an issue. Here's a point you should also consider. I believe, if you obtain the non-o outside of Thailand you do not have to have insurance, but if you obtain it in Thailand you will have to provide insurance every year. I don't know if that has changed or not, but I don't think so. I wish you good luck and everything works out for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy Noobie said:

if you obtain the non-o outside of Thailand you do not have to have insurance, but if you obtain it in Thailand you will have to provide insurance every year. I don't know if that has changed or not, but I don't think so. I

I do not believe that this is accurate!

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting.

I personally tried to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank Sukhumvit Rd Asoke head office.

I had in my passport a non O and many annual extensions and at the time reentry permit.

I also had with me my partner a long time customer of that bank.

I took along lease etc etc.

The manager there wanted a residence certificate or similar from my embassy. Oz embassy does not provide that.

They also wanted something from my Oz bank.

Along with some other rubbish.

I eventually was successful with Kasikorn.

The winner for them was the non O in my pp.

The op has a tourist visa.

I never stated it's impossible, rather that it can be difficult.

Given time frame an agent imo best option..

As for me, I first opened my bank account in 2018 at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok with no visa at all.

My account was restricted : no iBanking, no Mobile Banking, but it was enough for me (ATM Card only was Ok for me).  My passport and a letter from my embassy were the only things they asked for (not sure they even asked that letter)

When I got later a Non O Visa, then all these restrictions were lifted.

• Like 1

OP, I read most of your post but it all came down to one thing.

Complaining about a process that is easy if you do research.

When I was doing my conversion from METV to Retirement, I have to admit the research was quite confusing.  Lots of little questions I had that weren't really answered anywhere.  And a bunch of other questions that had different answers from different people.

Your main issue is bank account.

The simple solution is to use an agent to open an account.

That cost is 4.5-5k.

Yep.  That's the tricky bit.  But it is definitely possible to do it yourself.  Bangkok Bank seems to be the easiest.  Some locations in Bangkok will do a bank account if you're here on a tourist visa AND you're already over 50 AND you bring in all of your retirement visa application paperwork and tell them you're applying but you need the bank account.

They might hem and haw a little ("we really aren't supposed to") but if they don't say outright that they can't do it then they will.  Adding that you want to transfer the money into a fixed term account with their branch will help (probably because they have sales targets they have to meet).

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I opened a bank account just over 10 ys ago on then a some 3 month long visa, unfortunately they didnt let me know in anyway that if the account was inactive for more than 12 months they would shut it down if i had of known that i would have kept sending over some money from time to time...and yes they swallowed up my cash and kept it...wasnt to much but i though it wasnt a good look....

You must've kept 'peanuts' in your account.

With the BKK Bank, I think anything under 2,000 Baht in your savings deposit account that's inactive after 1 year incurs a 50 baht fee per month until the account is empty (and then closed).

A topic discussion which repeat itself every few days. 

The answers always the same. The easiest and quickest option always a Pattaya agent. In a few days visa and bank issues settled. You simply can relax at  Jomtien Beach ????. 

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

The easiest and quickest option always a Pattaya agent.

Indeed an agent is best solution but reference to Pattaya irrelevant.

There are agents in many locations that provide this service 

The OP is in Bangkok.

15 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Here's a point you should also consider. I believe, if you obtain the non-o outside of Thailand you do not have to have insurance, but if you obtain it in Thailand you will have to provide insurance every year. I don't know if that has changed or not, but I don't think so. 

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is incorrect.

The only insurance requirement for ongoing extensions is from a non O-A extension based on retirement.

No insurance is required for extensions to a non O retirement, regardless if the non O was obtained in Thailand or elsewhere. 

I stand corrected, thank you Dr. Jack54. When I was writing my comment, I forgot to add the Non O-A, sorry about that. I should of checked my comments before I posted them. I hate giving the wrong information. I might be 71 years old, but I can still learn from my mistakes...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I stand corrected, thank you Dr. Jack54. When I was writing my comment, I forgot to add the Non O-A, sorry about that. I should of checked my comments before I posted them. I hate giving the wrong information. I might be 71 years old, but I can still learn from my mistakes...

Don't beat yourself up.

I make mistakes all the time.

Sometimes corrections can sound harsh in type. Not meant that way. 

Aside ...never understood why guys with non O-A require insurance for extensions.

Many are actively switching to non- O. 

However that requires exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't beat yourself up.

I make mistakes all the time.

Sometimes corrections can sound harsh in type. Not meant that way. 

Aside ...never understood why guys with non O-A require insurance for extensions.

Many are actively switching to non- O. 

However that requires exit Thailand to kill off the non O-A. 

Just another benefit of using an agent who will provide a "policy" for a nominal  fee at OA based extension time.

18 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Just another benefit of using an agent who will provide a "policy" for a nominal  fee at OA based extension time.

I always suggest an agent when the alternative is difficult or impossible. 

The common one being lack of funds to meet requirements.

Buying a throw away insurance policy is not difficult and I would never suggest use of agent to circumvent that requirement..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I always suggest an agent when the alternative is difficult or impossible. 

The common one being lack of funds to meet requirements.

Buying a throw away insurance policy is not difficult and I would never suggest use of agent to circumvent that requirement..

I did say another benefitaltho I suggest buying a throw away that passes IO scrutiny on a DIY OAextension would not.be simple.

16 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I did say another benefitaltho I suggest buying a throw away that passes IO scrutiny on a DIY OAextension would not.be simple.

I didn't mean "throw away' in the sense that's it's fraudulent.

Rather that cheap insurance to satisfy the extension from non O-A is fine and covers immigration requirements. Obtained online instantly. 

Just don't get sick as the policy is useless regarding it's cover. 

On 4/23/2022 at 7:20 AM, DrJack54 said:

Interesting.

I personally tried to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank Sukhumvit Rd Asoke head office.

I had in my passport a non O and many annual extensions and at the time reentry permit.

I also had with me my partner a long time customer of that bank.

I took along lease etc etc.

The manager there wanted a residence certificate or similar from my embassy. Oz embassy does not provide that.

They also wanted something from my Oz bank.

Along with some other rubbish.

I eventually was successful with Kasikorn.

The winner for them was the non O in my pp.

The op has a tourist visa.

I never stated it's impossible, rather that it can be difficult.

Given time frame an agent imo best option..

Go to UOB

Good Singaporean bank.
Take 50k baht and open your account.
After 1 hour, you walk out with your debit card and can withdraw the lot, if you want.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Go to UOB

Good Singaporean bank.
Take 50k baht and open your account.
After 1 hour, you walk out with your debit card and can withdraw the lot, if you want.

Where did you open the account.

What type of permission of stay do you have? 

When did you open the account.

Personally not familiar with UOB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Came on an O-A

BKK bank, Kasikorn and others.
All invited me in, offered a coffee and as soon as I mentioned "retirement visa", the coffee was gone 5555

Can not: need work permit.
UOB sorted out in 1-2 hours and still very happy with this bank.

It is what it is: a Singaporean bank.

I opened at Chitlom branch/shopping. I lived there at the very beginning.

Excellent.

The thing is you had a non O-A.

The OP entered on tourist visa.

That's the issue.

I suggest with a non O-A you would also have success at Kasikorn. 

Some banks not. 

• Like 1

OP - i did this change/convert visa twice.  the first time, i got everything taken care of on the thailand side of things (letter from USA embassy, copy of lease, bank account - bangkok bank main branch on silom rd).  but when it came time to send the money, i had a problem with my bank in the USA (wells fargo).  they had limits on how much i could wire at any one time and per month/30 days.  $15,000 was the max for 30 days.  they wouldn't make changes to those amounts unless they could send a code to my USA phone to confirm who i was.  wouldn't do email.  at the time, my USA phone didn't get those codes for some reason (it does now).  so that ended my effort on that initial try, i ended up having to wait another year due to my travel schedule.  i'd never done a wire before and it was the last thing i expected to 'go wrong'.  but it did.  so i'd suggest you check your bank limits if you don't know them already and hope you can get codes to your phone if required.

the most recent change visa i did was last year and they added a requirement for three months of rental receipts. 

• Like 1

Well one of those disinterested visa agents have come through and flying on a cruise missile, after my experience sitting waiting at immigration contacted all 3 again one really picked up the ball over this weekend...when told when  my tourist visa was up made an appointment at 1 pm at immigrating monday, and i will be leaving with a 90 day with my long stay process begun and a bank account, later in the week they will do my certificate of residency, express no waiting.....

Well yes i agree with what is said about getting an agent, and i did want to do that, by Thai standards it seems expensive but by Australian standards its chicken feed.....

9 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

made an appointment at 1 pm at immigrating monday, and i will be leaving with a 90 day with my long stay process begun and a bank account, later in the week they will do my certificate of residency, express no waiting.....

Don't quite follow. 

If your leaving with a 90 day that means your obtaining a non O (retirement). 

How are you transferring the 800k into your bank? 

Why are you obtaining a residence certificate?

That was only needed if you were opening a bank account without agent

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Many people use WISE to transfer funds from overseas.

In very recent times, due to Thai changes to some banking

Noticed that on my last Xfer & thought I took a pic to post here but can’t find it now.

Edit to remove stuff from Wise website already posted by.@drjack54…  I think the 7th January 2022 is a typo & should be 2023…

Edited by Mike Teavee

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think the 7th January 2022 is a typo & should be 2023…

Pretty sure the "new rule" is in place.

There are couple threads in "banking finance" sub forum.

Back to the OP,....,seems he is attending immigration with agent Monday to obtain non O.

Will need to be a speedy transfer to have 800k in his new acquired bank account to apply for the non O  

On 4/23/2022 at 7:51 AM, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. Yes aware of that.

It's a Bangkok thing for some reason.

I do note that as recent as yesterday there was report of someones paperwork being accepted for residence certificate in Bangkok and no 90 report.

I questioned the post but no reply.

It certainly is a requirement in Bangkok to have filed a 90 report to apply for residence certificate.

It was I that applied for a residence certificate a few days ago without submitting a 90 day report. I am still waiting for it. I have since tried getting a 1 year extension based on Thai Child but they needed blue book and ID from owner who is reluctant to give.

8 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

It was I that applied for a residence certificate a few days ago without submitting a 90 day report. I am still waiting for it. I have since tried getting a 1 year extension based on Thai Child but they needed blue book and ID from owner who is reluctant to give.

Thanks for update.

Your application was accepted so thinking you will receive your residence certificate.

It will arrive in 7-14 days. 

Closer to 7.

I believe they made an error with your application as 90 day report is required .

You shouldn't require a residence certificate for the extension your seeking.

Best of luck. 

Edit : just had another read of your efforts to obtain one year extension.

You need a TM30 to satisfy immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

It used to be easy with tourist visa in 2011/13 and I opened a few bank accounts but I unfortunately they all got cancelled as I kept them dormant with no balance. In 2017 again when I returned with a Non-OA, I was able to open three accounts. Now may be it is better to use an agent to open an account if on a tourist visa. 

Edited by Onerak