Stupid driving ~ sometimes a genuine need

It happens to us all probably on a daily basis. Driving along a 4 lane highway on the way home yesterday and notice in my mirror someone driving at excessive speed down the outside lane. However roadworks approaching and I move out to the one open lane and the speeder who has caught up with me alarmingly quickly is now tailgating me and desperately trying to pass even though there is nowhere to do it. I wasn’t purposely preventing him getting past but saw no reason to pull over as we see driving like this frequently when out on the road. The roadworks finally ended and he put part of his car into the grass verge in his haste to get past me and I simply thought see you in the hospital one day. In the distance I suddenly see him turn left going into the private hospital and suddenly felt a little guilty. Perhaps he had a very ill passenger or he was perhaps a doctor rushing to treat someone. And he’d he could also have been simply late for work but if the majority actually drove sensibly in the first place then when we see someone driving like this we we’ll get out of there way just in case it is a genuine reason to be driving in this manner.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, poppysdad said:

What is a rather sweeping statement. You know very well I’m referring to the general standard of driving which we all see every day.

'It happens to us all'...............well it has never happened to me. 'on a daily basis'..........I do not drive every day.

I know, I am just being pedantic. Sorry.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am far from convinced that emergency vehicles have to drive as fast and/or as recklessly as they do.........having lived in London for sometime it amazes me that there is any justification........loud sirens, horns clearing a path......... fair enough.......but then 70/80 mph through busy streets.......really???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I am far from convinced that emergency vehicles have to drive as fast and/or as recklessly as they do.........having lived in London for sometime it amazes me that there is any justification........loud sirens, horns clearing a path......... fair enough.......but then 70/80 mph through busy streets.......really???

I've never seen anyone, at anytime able to go 70/80 mph through busy streets except perhaps in the movies. 

I can't speak to London, but in Los Angeles victims are generally transported in well-equipped emergency vehicles staffed with well-trained medical technicians that communicate directly with the hospital receiving the victim. In Thailand, victims are often transported in the back of old pick-ups with lights on the roof, a siren, and stickers on the doors. 

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

'It happens to us all'...............well it has never happened to me. 'on a daily basis'..........I do not drive every day.

I know, I am just being pedantic. Sorry.

I don't drive at all ! I am pedantic ???? Took 1 lesson at 17. Instructor said , 'you have to remember a car is a lethal instrument' - scared the toilet out of me and I never learned ! (just as well with Thai roads I guess)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Having a grass merge on a multi-lane highway sounds a tad dangerous.

Which highway was it so I know to avoid.

Grass MERGE? Yes it is dangerous when the grass verge merges with the highway !   LOL

• Like 1

19 hours ago, poppysdad said:

What is a rather sweeping statement. You know very well I’m referring to the general standard of driving which we all see every day.

I never see cars speeding up behind me and tailgating me.

I drove back from Samui last week and only 1 car overtook me on the entire journey 

No idea what you are talking about...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1