USAF Team to Visit Thailand to Assess F-35 Procurement Potential

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As part of the inspection, the U.S. team will look closely at the RTAF’s resources and capabilities to see if they can support the purchase of advanced stealth fighters.

While they may be capable of tweaking F16's this new stealth fighter is a bit more advanced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Good point, China has persuaded Thailand to look into a few F-35 purchases. Thailand allows top Chinese Aircraft engineers / designers to ‘come on down’ for a look see gathering top secret F-35 instrumentation information, nothing wrong with their F-16’s, better keep them F-35’s at home …….

I agree, the F-16's are good and cheaper than the F-35's besides you don't want a million [ Chinese tourist] coming here taking pictures of fleet of three F-35's that you have just bought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Good point, China has persuaded Thailand to look into a few F-35 purchases. Thailand allows top Chinese Aircraft engineers / designers to ‘come on down’ for a look see gathering top secret F-35 instrumentation information, nothing wrong with their F-16’s, better keep them F-35’s at home …….

really? stop trolling.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Will it be tanks next I wonder.  Submarines and fighter aircraft are not defensive weapons is Thailand planning an invasion.

Both are very much defensive. Only nuclear submarines are really offensive. Diesel submarines hunt ships and others subs.

F-35s typically kill over 20 adversary aircraft for every friendly loss in exercises aimed at honing pilot skills.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2019/05/13/how-a-super-agile-electronic-warfare-system-makes-f-35-the-most-invincible-combat-aircraft-ever/?sh=48c80d114382

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

A verdict of " not yet ready, perhaps in a few years" will be a lot less embarrassing than " no, because you will hand them to the Chinese".

There's good political reasons to sell advance weaponry to a country being heavily courted by the Chinese which should be obvious. The chances that the Thais will hand over US military secrets to the Chinese is zero and assertions that they may do so are less than constructive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Really, not constructive? Or not agreeing with your views?

There is a significant difference between being "heavily courted by China" and being effectively beholden to China. 

Of course the USA will be aware that delivering F35s to Thailand would effectively be handing them to the Chinese. They will not take the risk. That should be obvious.

On the other hand, nobody would be even contemplating the deal if that was "obvious". Why do you think the US is visiting Thailand to discuss the deal? Just to say "no"? China is far from beholden to China. Show some evidence to support that claim or admit it's baseless.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Why would the Americans be concerned about Thailand's ability to to operate and maintain fifth-generation fighter jets?

That's Thailand's problem?

No problem, if the US decides not to sell. I imagine the F35 can fly at night, well that's Thai AF .....

• Like 1

Just sounds like Thai/US Air Force chums having a get together...????

LOS are spending zillions on updating very old F5's, so I cannot see the F35 thing taking off.

What with all those mothballed F15/16's, surely they would make a nice little earner for the USA.... 

57 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

"Evidence"! It is a discussion, not a court of law!

Your opinion is that there are good reasons for the USA supplying F35s to Thailand, which should be obvious. They are not obvious to me, (and I rather suspect many others) and you supply no "evidence" of what those reasons may be; nor do you supply "evidence" that the chance of passing these "secrets" to China is zero.

In my opinion the US is sending a team to Thailand, as I suggested, as something of a face saving exercise. No "evidence", it is an opinion.

You claimed that Thailand would effectively be handing secrets to China. You did not qualify that as an opinion. You can't hide behind every claim as being an opinion. You're just pushing baseless FUD.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 2