Good Samaritan lady beaten up after going to help driver - he didn't want her to call the cops because he was drunk

webfact

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is always lots of comments on this forum criticizing Thais for not stopping to help at accidents.

Now you know why.

You could put yourself at risk trying to be the good Samaritan here.

10 hours ago, kotsak said:

First rule for survival here is MYOB.

True.  The "don't get involved with other people's business" attitude so common in Thailand is not solely about being chilled out.  It's to protect people from liability, blame and psychopaths.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dallen52 said:

The country needs to bring in international law enforcement experts and seriously look at the introduction of a proper police system. 

How do you imagine Thai society functioning if just the police force was "made proper"?

Presumably "fixing" the police would mean an end to any corruption that they facilitate.  Do you think the Thai populace would be happy with that?  How long would it take for people and businesses to adapt?

Of particular interest would be how the Thai people would deal with suddenly facing the consequences of their actions and being lumbered with considerable fines, criminal records that leave them unable to work, and the loss of many people's driving licences almost instantly. ????

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, kimamey said:

If either of those were people that you knew would you rather they were ignored. I understand the problems that can come from helping but that isn't always the case.  

Accidents yes, you can observe the situation and call for help..

As for confrontations stay well away.

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I am a bit surprised he was panicking.......the penalty for DUI here is hardly any kind of deterrent .

Yeah, it usually ends with the cops asking if he can finish their shift for them so they can get drunk. 

16 hours ago, grandpa said:

The concept of being a Good Samaritan and helping others in need is a Christian philosophy and one of the Parables of Jesus Christ.  Thai Buddhism is entirely self-centred!  This lady was indeed someone with good intent to her fellow human beings.  I applaud her for that.  The police should immediately arrest the perpetrator and bring him to justice for assault!   Removing an Army sticker from his vehicle is not the answer or adequate punishment!

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Accidents yes, you can observe the situation and call for help..

As for confrontations stay well away.

In the first example it was assumed to be a confrontation but wasn't. 

Also a confrontation can end up in serious injury or death,  possibly murder. 

You can always call the police of course. I've no experience of what they would do but there's no harm in trying. 

Edited by kimamey

On 4/27/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dmaxdan said:

There is always lots of comments on this forum criticizing Thais for not stopping to help at accidents.

Now you know why.

You could put yourself at risk trying to be the good Samaritan here.

I think I would find it very hard to ride by a lone person who was obviously in some difficulty. There are times when you may have to think of someone else before yourself.