Thailand hopes to attract more digital nomads as it opens country to tourists

webfact

I read the article and all the quotes and info are about tourists not DNs.

Are DNs an actual thing? Or is it me backpacking in the 70s, but with the ability to make a little money on the side by doing  some not so hard task for money? 

We already know that the Thai immigration version of a DN is not a tourist who does a few gigs to pay for basic expenses, its someone with a valid work contract who can work remotely.

Am I just showing my age?

1 hour ago, Whale said:

We already know that the Thai immigration version of a DN is not a tourist who does a few gigs to pay for basic expenses, its someone with a valid work contract who can work remotely.

I am sure there are some who do a lot of holiday and a little work and then there are others who work a lot and don't do much of that holiday thing. Lots of foreigners work here and they need work permits and pay taxes. I think it's only fair if the same rules apply to everybody.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure there are some who do a lot of holiday and a little work and then there are others who work a lot and don't do much of that holiday thing. Lots of foreigners work here and they need work permits and pay taxes. I think it's only fair if the same rules apply to everybody.

I, like a lot of expats, fall into a grey zone between Thai and foreign work - when I do work for Thailand government departments then it is through a Thai company, work permits, taxes etc. but in many periods the work is for overseas companies only and then I am a "Digital Nomad" on a tourist or other visa.

I put up with the visa hassles because they do not query the tax status of the foreign income, even though most work is me sitting in front of a computer in Thailand writing documents and having telecons.

95% of the foreign income is spent in Thailand - but if they start trying to tax this at local rates then I will just move to a house in the Bahamas and work from there - then no money spent in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I ran across some on Twitter. They have appropriated the name "Thai Twitter" for themselves. Of course, Thai Twitter is entirely in English. My observations of their content: lots of talk about what bars they are going to, pictures of their beer on the table, shots of the pool framed between their feet on their weekly hotel outing, complaints about service that makes Aseannow seem like a charity, lots of talk about "the gym" to work off all the fat accumulated from beer. Not observed: any interaction with Thais, experience with village life (nothing outside of inner Bangkok except resorts), self awareness. Not so much nomads as locusts.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I personally know a digital nomad, and he doesn't pay tax in his home country nor does he in Thailand. I think that he prefers to stay under the radar. Lol.

That. And how many retirees pay taxes over their pensions in Thailand? They have to but most people don't and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The Thai tax department is extremely incompetent and therefor the country misses huge amounts of income. Same goes for locals of course. I know at least one Thai with a rather large business who hasn't been paying 1 baht of tax.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, law ling said:

1. How are they to be attracted? Using what visa?

2. Yet, pre-pandemic, as I saw it, this group was actively forced out, by the powers that be, by the restrictions on repeat visas.

As someone else mentioned, they spoke about this previously and it was pretty strict.  High income, qualifications, work experience, etc..  Essentially what they are offering is the exact opposite of what digital nomads are seeking, or so I'm led to believe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I found it:

Yeah, it's a funny one.  I see a lot of Thais working, studying, having classes, business meetings, Skype calls, etc. in cafés, and they can sometimes take up a lot of space (one person on a four seater table).  So it isn't like Thai people never do it.

I think you need to balance how much time you take per beverage, how much space you take up, and how much noise you make.  Obviously online teaching or all day meetings are a bit much for a café.

I don't actually know how much time it takes to be a digital nomad.  If it's 9-5, it might be better to find a workspace.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And some who decide that they can operate from a coffee shop (annoying the owner and the customers) and they will be loved by the customers and they will make a fortune. 

10 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

absolute bull poo . thailand dosent want any long term farang living there unless you've got millions of $ what sort of visa are these peps supposed to get. xenophobic punch of retards. 

Wow, the missus tell you to get your own coffee and wake up the much younger gig you brought home last night?

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Yeah, it's a funny one.  I see a lot of Thais working, studying, having classes, business meetings, Skype calls, etc. in cafés, and they can sometimes take up a lot of space (one person on a four seater table).  So it isn't like Thai people never do it.

I think you need to balance how much time you take per beverage, how much space you take up, and how much noise you make.  Obviously online teaching or all day meetings are a bit much for a café.

I don't actually know how much time it takes to be a digital nomad.  If it's 9-5, it might be better to find a workspace.

Depends if you can cope with the multiple rejections over many hours and get enough takers to make a few dollars a day for a bed in a backpackers place.