Brake failure! Five vehicle pile up on Bang Na - Trat but at least one woman was wearing a seatbelt

webfact

61cf0dfde04589a9193eec48a054104b9328ec7a380495685035ba146aff1b8b.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A six wheel truck driver said that he experienced break failure that caused a five vehicle pile-up around 1 pm on the center section of the Bang Na - Trat highway by a U-turn.

Santi, aged about 35-40, told Siam Rath that he was going to make a U-turn and was approaching other vehicles lined up preparing to do the same.

797662a06ef95af5ebbeb489a3e7928d695fb976b5e1e495c48058ea4dc6f004.jpg

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said he put his foot on the brake but they it didn't respond. He decided to veer left to avoid a collision but was unable to complete the move due to other traffic. 

He ended up trapped in his cab with leg injuries that needed a trip to Bang Plee hospital.

A pick-up and three other cars were damaged.

ed0dcf2fa543157fa00b71ae60bf6f941601956d1c9fb03bc150f34a5710464b.jpg

A lady called Sabaiphae said she was on the way to take her son to get vaccinated in Bang Na. 

She ended up being sandwiched between other vehicles in her black car.

She said that she was wearing her seatbelt and thanked that for not being thrown into the steering wheel or console.

Bang Plee police are conducting the inquiry. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

ce5bc97270ffbcd169db7a394ea0eca196f1a9a97db2d8ae6681d54668db9fc4.jpg

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

at least one woman was wearing a seatbelt, she was wearing her seatbelt

Wow, that's got to be a first, someone wearing a seatbelt. 

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

She ended up being sandwiched

Aaaah, reminds me of my younger days, her name was Karen, lots of fun. 

• Haha 1

Strangely is that it is always brake failure and not driving like a lunatic, or playing phone.. What for me the most urgent question is... Did the car never stopped anywhere before?? and the brakes were not working too at that time? If there was a problem already he shuld have solved it and if not than it was no brake failure now too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Strangely is that it is always brake failure and not driving like a lunatic, or playing phone.. What for me the most urgent question is... Did the car never stopped anywhere before?? and the brakes were not working too at that time? If there was a problem already he shuld have solved it and if not than it was no brake failure now too

My money's on texting or dozing off.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The Police will check to see if his brakes are not working......

or just take his word for it ,or was it he was just driving too

fast and could not stop in time.

regards Worgeordie

My guess it will be the latter, unless some grease is applied.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Seems to be a lot of "brake failures" in Thailand.

A long time ago when I was in the RAF, the first driver of the day who booked any vehicle out did a daily inspection of the vehicle, which included fuel, oil, water, lights and brakes tests.

When I was on leave I did the same thing and the boss asked me one morning why I was doing it. I told him that the truck was my responsibility and if it ran out of fuel, oil etc on a trip it would be my problem.

His response was one of surprise and he offered me a full time job on the spot as I was the only driver he had seen do that on any of his trucks. 

• Like 1

Those U-turns on Bang Na Trad are death traps. I often see white paint marks around them where accidents occurred. Basically turning from the 'fast' lane in one direction into the 'fast' lane in the opposite direction is a pretty poor form of traffic planning.

• Like 1

Another "brake failure" excuse which saves face a bit more than the "I was checking my phone" excuse.........but we will never know!!! 

(p.s. do the cops here ever check to see if the brakes are working or not later???......oops, I forgot.....TIT!!!!!)

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The Police will check to see if his brakes are not working......

or just take his word for it ,or was it he was just driving too

fast and could not stop in time.

regards Worgeordie

Do the Police ever check the brakes after "brake failure"? I never heard about that. If they would check it´s easy to find out the truth.

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

Another "brake failure" excuse which saves face a bit more than the "I was checking my phone" exceuse.........but we will never know!!! 

(p.s. do the cops here ever check to see if the brakes are working or not later???......oops, I forgot.....TIT!!!!!)

the candy isnt going to crush itself!......a few crushed cars tho!

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If the brakes don't stop them in time regardless of speed or distance then Thai drivers think they've failed. Didn't do what they were supposed to. Simples.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

A long time ago when I was in the RAF, the first driver of the day who booked any vehicle out did a daily inspection of the vehicle, which included fuel, oil, water, lights and brakes tests.

When I was on leave I did the same thing and the boss asked me one morning why I was doing it. I told him that the truck was my responsibility and if it ran out of fuel, oil etc on a trip it would be my problem.

His response was one of surprise and he offered me a full time job on the spot as I was the only driver he had seen do that on any of his trucks. 

Exactly the same in the Army - I was a signaler and had a radio truck.

• Like 1