Speed limit increased to 120kph on four more highways in Thailand

webfact

Screenshot-2022-04-30-6.58.45-PM.png

Effective May 1st, the speed limit for all vehicles will increase to 120 kilometres per hour on four more highways, according to the announcement from the director-general of the Highways Department already published in the Royal Gazette.

The affected roads are:

Highway No 9 (Kanchanapisek), from Bang Khae to Mahasawat between 23+500km-31+600km in-bound and out-bound.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Highway No 35 (Rama II), from Na Kok to Phraek Nam Dang between 56+000km and 57+300km in-bound and out-bound; between 58+800km and 68+200km in-bound and out-bound; between 69+950km and 73+800km in-bound and out-bound; between 75+000km and 76+800km in-bound and out-bound; between 78+250km and 78+690km in-bound and out-bound and between 79+110km and 80+600km in-bound and out-bound.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/speed-limit-increased-to-120kph-on-four-more-highways-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Effective May 1st, the speed limit for all vehicles will increase to 120 kilometers per hour on four more highways

Why ask why TIT right?

But no I really wonder why? In a country with the 2nd highest death rate on the roads in the WORLD

why?

I mean if they had a low road death rate maybe yeah they could talk about it but instead they have terrible drivers

& want to allow them to go 120kph/75mph down the road?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am watching news about traffic measures from the green cargo bike rider land (Germany) vs the land of the free truck racers (Thailand).

It couldn't be more contrary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

New speed limits for stretches as short as 440m?!

Does that "close gaps"?

What is the max speed of a worn out Diesel truck?

60kph with a smoke screen to stop overtaking! See it often!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

New speed limits for stretches as short as 440m?!

Does that "close gaps"?

What is the max speed of a worn out Diesel truck?

How good are your brakes?

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Those highways are specifically built. Concrete dividers, no U-turns, no intersections and more.

In some cases for distances of 1.3km, 4km 1.8km, 440m, and 1.5km, !

......between 56+000km and 57+300km in-bound and out-bound; between 58+800km and 68+200km in-bound and out-bound; between 69+950km and 73+800km in-bound and out-bound; between 75+000km and 76+800km in-bound and out-bound; between 78+250km and 78+690km in-bound and out-bound and between 79+110km and 80+600km in-bound and out-bound.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

120 in the outside lane, should make the U-turns more interesting

Have you ever been to Thailand or driven in Thailand ???

There are no U-Turns on any of those roads with a 120 kmh speed limit.

They are divided and ‘sealed’ highways where motorcycles and dogs cannot get onto them from side streets etc (theoretically, picks up with ’stuff’ in the back are not allowed on them).

120 kmh is perfectly fine on those roads. 

When traffic is busier those motorways are naturally slower, the risk then maybe the odd pileup which happens. 

Traffic incidents on the motorways are not common in comparison to highways without a divide and those with traffic lights. 

Then of course there are those interprovincial roads with U-Turns which are just deadly - the speed limit on those roads is still 80kmh - It is these on these interprovincial roads with U-Turns which have horrible accident stats and the accidents that do occur are often catastrophic. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The affected roads are:

Highway No 9 (Kanchanapisek), from Bang Khae to Mahasawat between 23+500km-31+600km in-bound and out-bound.

Could they not just show this information on a map? I've never heard of places like Mahasawat, but I've driven all that road. 

It is all very confusing.  On a recent trip to Pattaya via the motorway there are multiple signs saying the speed limit is 120 kph then 100 meters on there is a sign stating the speed limit is 90 kph.  Maybe to lazy to remove the 90 kph signs?

5 hours ago, blazes said:

120 kph is NEW????   I guess the normal everyday speed will now rise to 140kph?

Everybody knows where speed cameras are, other places dont have speed limit! Also everybody knows when guy whit radar is there in bush! Surely never if rain, not in lunch brake 11.00 to 13.00 (then police is in houer hotel whit mia noi). After 17.00 never there . Never if schools have holiday season etc.

27 minutes ago, lujanit said:

It is all very confusing.  On a recent trip to Pattaya via the motorway there are multiple signs saying the speed limit is 120 kph then 100 meters on there is a sign stating the speed limit is 90 kph.  Maybe to lazy to remove the 90 kph signs?

For me still unsolved mystery. Although they look like binding speed limits they seem not to be.

Is it warning/hint about oncoming klong bridges?

In former times you better not went 120 over them except you liked to fly.

Nowadays hardly noticeable.

6 hours ago, bdenner said:

Can anyone tell me what this "cobbly goop" translates too???

In the US we call them mile markers, in Thailand they're referring to the km markers.

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Could they not just show this information on a map? I've never heard of places like Mahasawat, but I've driven all that road. 

I could not even find a map in Thai language sources.

Maha Sawat, some klong crossing the western ring?

Edited by KhunBENQ