British martial arts champion fighting for his life after motorbike crash in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

If he was hit by the pick up...doesn't the pick up have insurance?  If I hit and injure someone with my car, my  insurance pays I think 500k to cover resulting medical bills for any third injury. Third party injury is normally the most basic of all insurances for cars. 

All cars in Thailand have to have 3rd party insurance. They have to buy it when paying for there annual vehicle tax.

1 hour ago, Poilu said:

This from another news site: His sister Emmy says that if his insurance company covers the costs, all donations will be refunded.

"his insurance company" ? Whose?

How will the donations be refunded?

Edited by Chris.B

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Nearly 10 years in Thailand, and I've always let the wife do the driving. She's been happy to. First on a motorcycle, now in our car. As a female they drive more cautiously than us blokes would, and as a Thai they're a lot more familiar with how their countrymen move around on the road, their sudden lane changes or pulling out from being stopped, that I wouldn't have caught. I remember a thread on here once about how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

My Thai wife passed her driving "farce/test" a few months ago  first time around at 51 years of age, but now she is learning how to drive!

She is a very cautious driver, and I agree with what you say about them being more aware of what their countrymen are likely to do.

Only yesterday, we were out on the main road, when a vehicle signalled to turn right in front of us, and pulled over to the middle of the road and stopped as there was oncoming traffic. I suggested that she put her left hand indicator on before reaching the now stationary vehicle, and pull over to overtake on the inside. She didn't, and just as well as a motorbike shot past us on the inside lane doing what seemed to be about 100km per hour! 

Although illegal, this is a very common event which shocked me the first time it happened to me, but it is widespread, and a very common occurrence.

It has been discussed on here before about when it is legal, and when it is not, so I don't want to open an old can of worms - suffice it to say that it is a good thing to know how to expect the locals/Thais to behave on the roads, because they certainly wouldn't get away with it in most Western countries! 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brayka said:

I really don’t understand why people don’t have a good insurance. If you don’t have the money stay home or go elsewhere. Everyone (almost half the world or more)knows how dangerous the roads and irresponsibly the drivers are.. I feel sorry for that guy and hope he will recover …. 

Not many insurance company's cover motorbike accidents especially in Thailand .they would soon go bust  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

All the big banks and insurance companies offer motorcycle insurance.

I have it for both the big bikes I ride occasionally. 

What big banks and insurance companies? Thai companies?

They offer to tourists and education visa holders for short terms?

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

But how many insurance claims actually get paid... 

Very few, I suspect.. 

You suspect wrong.    If "very few claims were paid out" there would be no insurance industry.

Stats show that, in general, over 90% of insurance claims are paid.  If policy conditions are transgressed or the claim is otherwise invalid, payouts will, obviously, not be forthcoming.   

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Health insurance covers all injuries and illness regardless of cause. So it's not hard at all to find insurance that covers medical expenses after a motorcycle accident. The first step is buying the insurance

Reading the small print lots of company's only pay 50% of the total cover some none at all 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

how "unmanly" it was to be seen riding pillion with a chick at the helm, heh well, I'm more a fan of staying in one piece.

Totally agree.............................

Took the Thai gf to CNX airport recently by grab taxi (to be sure she got on the plane) now starting to notice again young male farangs checking in with road rash injuries just like before covid set in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

Yes and if he came 9 months ago, did he not "have to" have insurance then to enter using the Thailand Pass??

He "had to have" Covid-related insurance that would not have covered the level of expense claimed in the OP.

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

What big banks and insurance companies? Thai companies?

They offer to tourists and education visa holders for short terms?

They will sell motorbike insurance to anyone who is buying, why would they not?

Any fool knows motorbike insurance is not normally included in travel insurance and you need to buy a separate policy covering riding bikes or driving cars etc. 

Indeed mandatory minimum vehicular insurance is a legal requirement in Thailand and elsewhere. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are confused. 

It's poor policing to blame, not Thailand.

The police aren't doing their job. 

It's not just traffic issues the police ignore all their tasks.

At least they're consistent. 

In your comment you've outlined the problem but fail to see who/what is causing the problem. 

Thanks for the clarification.

So the problem would be: Poor policing in Thailand, traffic issues the police ignore in Thailand, police ignore all their tasks in Thailand, and that police are consistent in not doing their job in Thailand.

There, fixed....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

I know it is just speculation as there are no details on the truck driver and his insurance status. It could well be that he had no insurance or had very good first class insurance. 

It could also be that the pickup driver was not at fault.

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, you are right there. Can also be hard to find an insurance that actually covers motorcycle driving in Thailand at all.

I once had motorcycle covering me in Thailand.

Fine print was, had to be under 125cc, registered, helmet be worn at all times and I had to have an IDP.

As I don't ride anymore, no need for that insurance, just the 1st class insurance for the car, plus separate private health care cover, as I don't wish to end up in one of the training hospitals as I call them, each to their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingfox1 said:

total lack of facts in the story , was no one to blame? 

no point in speculation as pointless 

Please editors put in more content into these stories. 

You need to send you complaint to the Daily Mirror, not this forum!

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They will sell motorbike insurance to anyone who is buying, why would they not?

This is Thailand that is why. I doubt very much a tourist can walk into a bank and buy any type of insurance. ????

Edited by Chris.B

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

The report says he was struck as he was leaving the restaurant. One possibility is that he drove into the  path of the pickup. Or the pickup drove into him as he was leaving. Any report on the facts ???

Does it matter?

Only for the judges out there I guess. Lots of posters like making self-righteous, childish comments.

Young people don't want insurance and think they are invincible. I broke my neck here when I was a similar age. 

This is not really big news, just another road accident. Why are there so many replies? What are your motives for replying if saying anything other than get well soon? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are confused. 

It's poor policing to blame, not Thailand.

The police aren't doing their job. 

It's not just traffic issues the police ignore all their tasks.

At least they're consistent. 

In your comment you've outlined the problem but fail to see who/what is causing the problem. 

Maybe it would have been more correct to say "Thailand's road policy" is to blame - after all, a country is innate and incapable of making decisions - whereas the government of that country is?

In my earlier post, I pointed out what I thought were a couple of the problems, and the solutions as I saw it - and yes I realise that you were not answering me, but another poster!

59 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

He was at koh samui and lets be honest you rent a bike for 150 baht a day how many of us have got insurance that will cover anything like the amount needed.

Oh, that makes it ok, then, for someone to not have sufficient insurance cover?

24 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

Reading the small print lots of company's only pay 50% of the total cover some none at all 

Such garbage.  Give one example of any insurance company that has "small print", not policy conditions, that entitles them to provide "no cover at all" for insured situations.   Just one.

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

He isn't a Martial arts champion, he is a picture framer. 

To quote your own post two minutes before that one in which you admonish other members, "what are your motives for replying if saying anything other than get well soon?" 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2