Transgender people can wear clothes of their choice at law training course

snoop1130

ทนายความหารือกฎหมาย.jpg

Thai transgender people, who dress in accordance with their chosen gender identity, can now attend law training courses and take examinations at the Lawyers Council of Thailand, ruled a gender discrimination committee.

According to former secretary-general of the Lawyers Council of Thailand Dr. Sombat Wongkamhaeng, the committee issued a ruling last Wednesday stating that the dress code of the Council’s law training school, which requires all attendees to wear clothing in accordance with their birth sex, is against Section 27 of the Constitution, which guarantees rights in sexual diversity, the right of individuals to choose their sexual identity and to wear clothes to match their identity.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The committee also ruled that the dress code does not correspond with the exceptions in the Section 17 of the Gender Equality Act, which stipulate that, for the sake of national security, religious principles or public safety, individuals must wear their clothes in accordance with their gender.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/transgender-people-can-wear-clothes-of-their-choice-at-law-training-course/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The committee also ruled that the dress code does not correspond with the exceptions in the Section 17 of the Gender Equality Act, which stipulate that, for the sake of national security, religious principles or public safety, individuals must wear their clothes in accordance with their gender.

W.T.F. has the clothes you wear got to do with the sex of the body you believe you are living in or changed/wishing to change into?

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

W.T.F. has the clothes you wear got to do with the sex of the body you believe are living in or changed/wishing to change into?

For thousands or maybe more years nobody had any doubts that the clothes depend on the sex (of the body).

Your point of view is a very new woke construct. 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

For thousands or maybe more years nobody had any doubts that the clothes depend on the sex (of the body).

Please explain your comment as it makes no sense W.R.T my post!

We are born without clothes!

We are given clothing after birth by our parents/guardians or whatever.

Later. with age and knowledge. we make choices about our identity, be it with clothes. thoughts or through our actions.

What has a person's clothing got to do with you or anyone else, especially WRT to sex, gender or identity etc?

I suggest you go back and look in your closet and let the rest of the world feel free to express themselves as they wish in whichever clothes the want!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Women should never have been allowed to wear pants !

????

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ludicrous to dictate what clothes people should wear on those grounds.

Absolutely stupid. 

Yes, I have to wear my clown suit with red nose and 3ft floppy shoes to the court room!

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Someone needs to take a look at photographs of rural thai citizens from around the period that Rama V outlawed toplessness for women.

6 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Women should never have been allowed to wear pants !

????

Maybe, maybe not.  If the pants are meant to emphasize a smart, angular body...ok. 

But if the pants are meant to cover up a fat ar$e, as is the case (especially with politicians who think they are qualified to run for the presidency of the USA) not ok, cos such a mismatch between body and clothes is an offence against aesthetic decency.

PEOPLE CAN WEAR WHAT THEY LIKE, BUT THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES

IT ALL CHANGED FOR WOMEN

It's a funny ol' world. I remember when the so-called unisex clothing first came out. I thought it was a new range of fashionwear for men and women... in my ignorance. It wasn't that. It just meant that women could start wearing trousers, pin-striped suits, flat caps, trilbies, long socks, and flat shoes without the stigma. There's nothing wrong with any of the above, but unisex clothing was basically men's clobber on women. 

NO CHANGE FOR MEN!

Heterosexual blokes, on the other hand, didn't start wearing blouses, long dresses, fishnets, high heels, or playing netball. Of course, they could if they wanted to, but most haven't gone down that path, at least not in public. And let's be honest. If a man anywhere attends a mainstream job interview in hot pants, a midriff shirt, and blood-red lipstick, well... he's not going to make the shortlist, is he.

CHANGING ROLES?

I do believe male makeup is now quite popular among Gen Z and Millennials males and less of a thing with women. In fact, modern women in the west are more like men than men ever were. That's not the case with transgender Thais. In fact, some of the best-looking women in this country are fellas. It's probably why they can... and should.... be allowed to wear what they want.

Me? Well… I couldn't give a rat's ar$e what anyone wears be they gay, straight, or Australian. But what I won't do is try to learn the 100 newly recognized genders and their associated pronouns. 

Stubby

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Me? Well… I couldn't give a rat's ar$e what anyone wears be they gay, straight, or Australian. But what I won't do is try to learn the 100 newly recognized genders and their associated pronouns. 

Stubby

I definitely agree with that but on the other hand if a man you know informs you he is whatever for example "gender fluid" and perhaps he asks you to refer to him as they, does it really hurt you so much to politely agree?  Believe it our not, I find the they thing completely absurd  but I still value treating people with respect if they make a polite request. On the other hand if you mess up one time and call him he and then he/they/whatever tries to get you fired for that, that is evil. 

Another thing I won't do (but it's likely generational) is announce "my pronouns" upon meeting someone and asking for their pronouns. I'm going to assume the standard UNLESS the person presents as transgender in which case I would assume they want what they appear as. But as above if a person tells that information unsolicited may as well listen to them. 

In life I find a lot of things absurd, such as Jews for Jesus or Gays for Trump, but if that's how such people identify, well, they're telling you who they are, and not agreeing to accept their self identities doesn't really make any sense.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2