Two Re-Entry Permits

I will be re-entering Thailand twice and after the first re-entry I will not have much time to get a new re-entry permit.  I'd rather do it all at once.

Can I pay for 2 re-entry permits at Immigration for 1000 baht each rather than getting a Multiple Re-Entry permit for 3900 baht?

Has anyone done this and if so were there any problems?  

poor attitude if a 2000 Unlimited re-entry is being too expensive if planning to re entry 2 times......my experience is that having 2 more opportunities is good ,you never know what a year will bring, but strictly speaking you have a point.....chill

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot get 2 re-entry permits at the same time and there is no reason to, since you can get one re-entry permit that is valid for unlimited entries (at your imm office).

Well, apart from the fact that it costs almost twice as much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Yes it does, but as he wants to make 2 different entries (the whole point of the thread) it would actually be a small savings.

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Indeed.

The OP implies he requires 2.

Fact he asks the question re obtaining 2 at same time means he is either unaware on a multi reentry is available for 3800baht or if 2 trips need to be all that's required he can also obtain 2 single reentry permits when required 1000baht a pop.

Clearly he is also unaware (imo)  that reentry permits are available at airport prior to departure.

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed.

The OP implies he requires 2.

Fact he asks the question re obtaining 2 at same time means he is either unaware on a multi reentry is available for 3800baht or if 2 trips need to be all that's required he can also obtain 2 single reentry permits when required 1000baht a pop.

Clearly he is also unaware (imo)  that reentry permits are available at airport prior to departure.

Has the cost recently been reduced I seem to recall 1,600 for single entry.

If it is 1,000 then 2 would indeed cost  less than getting a multiple. Even 3 would cost less. (In my case would still make sense to get multiple as passport page space is at a premium and my Embassy will no longer add pages, but that's me).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Has the cost recently been reduced I seem to recall 1,600 for single entry

Yeah 1000 baht (single) reentry.

I agree with some of the posters suggesting buy a multiple 3800 baht. .

My guess is the OP is not even aware of option of a multi and clearly not aware of option of obtaining at airport. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yeah 1000 baht (single) reentry.

I agree with some of the posters suggesting buy a multiple 3800 baht. .

My guess is the OP is not even aware of option of a multi and clearly not aware of option of obtaining at airport. 

The OP clearly states in his initial post he doesn't wish to buy a multiple entry permit.

Can I pay for 2 re-entry permits at Immigration for 1000 baht each rather than getting a Multiple Re-Entry permit for 3900 baht?

• Like 1

Indeed. Missed that.

It's 3800 for multiple. 

So he can make a small saving by purchase of two single entry permits.

Seemed his main issue was time spent going to immigration and I have pointed out he can obtain reentry permit at airport.

Very easy quick process. 

16 hours ago, hgma said:

poor attitude if a 2000 Unlimited re-entry is being too expensive if planning to re entry 2 times......my experience is that having 2 more opportunities is good ,you never know what a year will bring, but strictly speaking you have a point.....chill

But if you apply for 2 X single entry permits you need to pay:

- the actul permit fee 2 times, plus

- pay the fees to process the permits X 2.

In total would this not be more expensive than the total cost of a a multiple entry permit?

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

the actul permit fee 2 times, plus

- pay the fees to process the permits X 2.

There is zero cost to process reentry permit.

At BKK they provide optional process which includes photo etc.

That cost is 200baht.

Provide form yourself with photo, zero processing fee. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

So look like I'm out of touch with the fees. 

Last time I got a multiple exit/re-entry stamp, at Chiang Mai immigration, there was a cost plus an endorsement cost (from memory 1,900Baht) to put the stamp in my PR book as well as in my passport. But that was 2.5 years ago.  

Edited by scorecard

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

.....to put the stamp in my PR book as well as my passport

I take it that your a permanent resident.

Have zero expertise in that area.

I always thought permanent resident could exit and reenter  no problem. 

Think it had to be within certain period. 12 months? 

In any event not relevant to op. 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I take it that your a permanent resident.

Have zero expertise in that area.

I always thought permanent resident could exit and reenter  no problem. 

Think it had to be within certain period. 12 months? 

In any event not relevant to op. 

Yes I mean permanent residence (actually the official title id Certificate of Redisence).

Yes, PR holders do need exit/re-entry stamps. 

Twelve months is relevant but it actually refers:

- To the life of of the exit-re-entry stamp, which has a 'shelf life' of twelve months (exit can be anytime after the stamps is issued but re-entry must be within 12 months of the issue date.

Out of LOS more than that and:

- Holder has breached the life of the re-entry date and that's means a problem.

- Holder, because actual date of re-entry is beyond the life of the stamp, has now lost their PR.

- I have seen this written before as 'PR golders can be out of Thailand for up to a total of 364 days in one block period and PR is still intact, but out of Thailand 365 days or more in one block period and PR is lost.

However all the above details regarding exit/re-entry stamps still applies.

If lost, there's no review process but holder can re-apply for PR.

I've read before that approval 2nd time around (in case as above) is much simpler and fairly quick but I'm not aware of any actual cases.

Others are more knowledgeable on this, perhaps they might like to comment. 

Edited by scorecard

On 5/7/2022 at 7:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

They will not issue a 2nd re-entry permit. You cannot have 2 valid re-entry permits in your passport.

Well, they must have made a mistake then, because back in 2017, I got a re-entry permit (single entry) as I was going home with the wife in February and coming back in March.  Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to go home in November, so before I left, I went to Jomtien Beach Immigration to get another re-entry permit (single entry), which they did give me, so when I came back, I used the number on one re-entry permit to put on my TM-6 and I used the other one for the second trip, no questions asked.  Maybe they didn’t notice the original one.

22 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Well, they must have made a mistake then, because back in 2017, I got a re-entry permit (single entry) as I was going home with the wife in February and coming back in March.  Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to go home in November, so before I left, I went to Jomtien Beach Immigration to get another re-entry permit (single entry), which they did give me, so when I came back, I used the number on one re-entry permit to put on my TM-6 and I used the other one for the second trip, no questions asked.  Maybe they didn’t notice the original one.

Reading you post it appears you used the first one before you got the 2nd one. It was marked used so they issued another one later.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes I mean permanent residence (actually the official title id Certificate of Redisence).

Yes, PR holders do need exit/re-entry stamps. 

Twelve months is relevant but it actually refers:

- To the life of of the exit-re-entry stamp, which has a 'shelf life' of twelve months (exit can be anytime after the stamps is issued but re-entry must be within 12 months of the issue date.

Out of LOS more than that and:

- Holder has breached the life of the re-entry date and that's means a problem.

- Holder, because actual date of re-entry is beyond the life of the stamp, has now lost their PR.

- I have seen this written before as 'PR golders can be out of Thailand for up to a total of 364 days in one block period and PR is still intact, but out of Thailand 365 days or more in one block period and PR is lost.

However all the above details regarding exit/re-entry stamps still applies.

If lost, there's no review process but holder can re-apply for PR.

I've read before that approval 2nd time around (in case as above) is much simpler and fairly quick but I'm not aware of any actual cases.

Others are more knowledgeable on this, perhaps they might like to comment. 

Wow. What a long and irrelevant post. Both to the original op and to what Dr Jack replied to you.

In any case, you as a PR have to get 2 re-entry stamps: 1 in your passport and another one in your blue (or white if you already changed the original) book.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Wow. What a long and irrelevant post. Both to the original op and to what Dr Jack replied to you.

In any case, you as a PR have to get 2 re-entry stamps: 1 in your passport and another one in your blue (or white if you already changed the original) book.

Yes I do have 2 books; passport and white book, yes I need to get the exit/re-entry stamp in both books.

Dr. Jack mentioned he's not so knowledgebale about PR and exit/re-entry stamps (that's how I interpreted his post, my apology if I'm wrong) so I expanded my reply hoping it might have some value for him.

Not irrelevant at all, however you have your opinion and I have mine.

Edited by scorecard

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Reading you post it appears you used the first one before you got the 2nd one. It was marked used so they issued another one later.

No it doesn't. OP wrote: so before I left, I went to Jomtien Beach Immigration to get another re-entry permit

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are right, I just looked in my passport, the one issued the 18 January 2018 is marked “Used” and the other one was issued 3 November 2017.