Thailand Road Carnage: Two drivers dead, 3 critical as 10 wheeler and pick-up collide in Sattahip

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Pol Capt Bunsong Yingyong of the Phlutaluang constabulary in Sattahip, Chonburi, was called after a ten wheel truck went across the central reservation and slammed head on into a pick-up on Route 332 near the Jay - Kasemphon intersection.

Driving the pick-up was 63 year old Banthit who was pronounced dead in hospital.

In a critical condition was his front seat passenger Siriphen, 61. Also critical were the back seat passengers named as Somsak, 32, and Mongkhol, 19.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

They were taken to the Sirikit and Sattahip hospitals. 

Thrown from the cab of his earth moving truck was 58 year old Sunthorn, pronounced dead at the scene. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

His seatbelt didn't work then.

You must be moving at quite the rates of knots to be thrown from the cab of a truck.

Yeah. It looks like he took the windscreen out as he went.

8 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

You must be moving at quite the rates of knots to be thrown from the cab of a truck.

Wouldn't be the opposite - relatively slower moving? The force from impact is based in part on mass. The 10-wheeler might have 5x (unloaded?) - 10x (loaded?) the mass of the pickup with passengers.

As such, the 10-wheeler driver should have had very little forward momentum in the crash. Especially if he was buckled up and traveling at a high rate of speed. The fact that the 10-wheeler driver had enough momentum to push the windshield down and outward (not crashing through it) suggests that maybe he was not buckled up and perhaps even a defective windshield installation. His death might be the result of a broken neck than something like a skull fracture.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Yeah. It looks like he took the windscreen out as he went.

There's a saying with cab over trucks as opposed to conventional cab trucks

You'll be the first person at the scene of the accident

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

I think your bash would be more pithy if it said, "Both enforced in more primitive societies."

Hope this helps.

Thailand is sixty years behind Europe in its attitude to corruption/wild dogs and poor policing.  It is thus more primitive.  Enforcing the law is a sign of less primitive societies, so I stick with my original contention.  Get someone to explain it to you.

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thailand is sixty years behind Europe in its attitude to corruption/wild dogs and poor policing.

...and also in SE Asia?  Where things are a bit more tropical and relaxed.

Edited by VocalNeal

17 minutes ago, mikebell said:
23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I think your bash would be more pithy if it said, "Both enforced in more primitive societies."

Hope this helps.

Thailand is sixty years behind Europe in its attitude to corruption/wild dogs and poor policing.  It is thus more primitive.  Enforcing the law is a sign of less primitive societies, so I stick with my original contention.  Get someone to explain it to you.

No need.

I just thought that if you said something like, "Even the Kingdom of Eswatini has better road traffic law enforcement", it would say so, so much more more than your rote "primitive Thailand" diatribe.

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Not really, it is the sudden stop that does it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LennyW said:
20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Not really, it is the sudden stop that does it

..and gravity. Never forget the force of gravity.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:31 AM, JeffersLos said:

You need to brush up on your O level physics. If the vehicle stops suddenly and lose objects continue at the sam speed. Their kinetic energy needs to be absorbed in order to prevent injury.

With properly fitted barriers on the central reservation the trucks kinetic energy would have been absorbed, instead it came to a sudden halt (probably because it collided with an oncoming vehicle). Seatbelts may have helped here.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:40 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Thailand  Road Conditions - Carnage is so sensationalist but now so oft repeated its meaningless

It shows an attitude - one of disgust and blame - a total failut=re to ask what are the real underlying causes.

21 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

It shows an attitude - one of disgust and blame - a total failut=re to ask what are the real underlying causes.

It shows nothing  when it is repeated hundreds of times. It becomes a meaningless  phrase. It's silly sensationalism.  Grinding  poverty and corruption  kills people in Thailand than car crashes but reporting that would  be 'political' so "road carnage ' is a nice  safe meaningless,  endlessly  repeated headline.

Road carnage = headline garbage. But the constant 'car narj ' headline allows the pearl  clutchers to be grimly satisfied that they are superior, sensible and somehow better...

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Road carnage = headline garbage. But the constant 'car narj ' headline allows the pearl  clutchers to be grimly satisfied that they are superior, sensible and somehow better...

YEs- absolutely - but the repeated use of the word carnage - although in itself meaningless now, shows how little the media and others know about road safety.

You are right, it is the poorest who die. Road safety is a public health issue and successive governments have failed to do anything about it - like the media they all put their hands up and declare "it's dreadful" etcetc, but as soon as they godown t "bad driving" blame road they have shown they understand nothing - and thus no change will occur.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No need.

I just thought that if you said something like, "Even the Kingdom of Eswatini has better road traffic law enforcement", it would say so, so much more more than your rote "primitive Thailand" diatribe.

Eswatini is allowed public protests unlike Thailand.

'With an average of 356 traffic fatalities per year (2012 - 2019), road traffic in Eswatini is considered very dangerous.'  That equals ONE week of Thai deaths. 

Saying something by rote doesn't make it less true only that it  happens regularly.

My almost daily diatribe is aimed at Thai police and their lack of effort in bringing down daily deaths; surely you are not defending them?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, mikebell said:

My almost daily diatribe is aimed at Thai police and their lack of effort in bringing down daily deaths; surely you are not defending them?

Well I heard from a pal yesterday who is a FPV guy, fines are going up. No helmet is 800, up from 200 or so. A sort of fund drive perhaps, more than a safety campaign I expect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Well I heard from a pal yesterday who is a FPV guy, fines are going up. No helmet is 800, up from 200 or so. A sort of fund drive perhaps, more than a safety campaign I expect. 

What's an FPV guy?  (Incidentally Pfizer booster due on Friday.)

RIP and a good recovery for the injured,

that's 2 nasty crashes in  few weeks on the 332 road, one at each end, both close to the 3 road, looking at the damage it doesn't look like a head on crash, hardly any damage to the front of the pick up, hard impact on drivers door and front wing.

Edited by steve187