Thai man stoical after finding maggots crawling in his chicken dinner

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath went to investigate after a man in Bangkok went online to say he had found maggots in his dinner he had bought by the side of the road.

Saeng-Arun, 52, said he had picked his wife up after work and dropped in at a stall in Ramkhamhaeng to buy some "kai tom palo".

When they got home and opened the bag it was full of at least ten maggots.

He wasn't touching that!

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said he wasn't going to make a big deal of it but wouldn't be going back to the stall.

He understood that these days times were hard but urged traders to maintain cleanliness and customers to chose places that are hygienic. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

These stands and markets are an example of why this place is still semi third world.  Meats with no refrigeration sitting in the hot sun with flies everywhere.  Some vendors making a failed effort to shoe away the flies with a cheap fly swatter.

Basic food freshness knowledge lacking or just laziness.

In principle I agree with you. But somehow I am wondering how this works. Because those markets with fresh, seafood, are all over Thailand. And it seems most Thais buy there and it seems most Thais don't get sick all the time. What is the secret? (I don't know, I am asking).

Personally we buy vegetable, rice and other things on the fresh market. And mf gf buys seafood and it seems she knows what to look for.

I prefer to buy meat in Foodland to be sure.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He understood that these days times were hard but urged traders to maintain cleanliness and customers to chose places that are hygienic. 

A big ask, what's next, washing plates in hot water?

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Saeng-Arun, 52, said he had picked his wife up after work and dropped in at a stall in Ramkhamhaeng to buy some "kai tom palo".

When they got home and opened the bag it was full of at least ten maggots.

He wasn't touching that!

He's got no sense of adventure.... 10 maggots/. Pahhh!

That's nothing

thai-1_wide-cf32b272d98315bf6734c315ebaf1303181157ee.jpg

Times might be hard.  But you can still be clean and maintain cleanliness.  
I’m kind of surprised this made the news. Obviously that is not the only place that has unsanitary conditions.   They would have to have a separate news program to report it all. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thailand said:

I would have thought an additional charge for the extra meat would have been appropriate.

Also brings back a memory of my grandfather sitting by the side of the river fishing keeping bait maggots under his tongue to keep them "frisky". Not something I copied.

That brings back memories as a kid, of keeping my maggots in the tin , going home put all gear in the shed, weeks later my dad (not into fishing) opened it, and was hit in the face with business of flies, He was not a happy man.