What currencies are best protected against inflation?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Storage is unnecessary, the company I buy it from has a "pool allocated" system which means I am buying a share of silver, which I can convert into physical silver at any point.

Does that also mean you take the risk of the company's insolvency? The company that I saw physically segregates your gold (or silver) and just stores it for you, so it's yours come what may. At least that's how the blurb read. I would need to look in more detail before taking the plunge.

Just now, dcollins said:

Does that also mean you take the risk of the company's insolvency? The company that I saw physically segregates your gold (or silver) and just stores it for you, so it's yours come what may. At least that's how the blurb read. I would need to look in more detail before taking the plunge.

Perth mint owned by gov

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

I still hold the gold I bought in 1980.

My point was that gold can go down as well as up. 

1580177016_2022-05-1215_15_56-GoldPrices-100YearHistoricalChart_MacroTrends-Brave.jpg.d72dd164b2c53e867af1315fdbeef5fd.jpg

sell it:). Interests on the rise…or keep it for another 10 y or until 2400. 400%… no inflation loss. 

Shares better to buy after the upcoming crash. Only blue chips with high dividents like Pfizer, Nestle etc. 

With time I like simple a good Condo in Bkk rented out to a Japanese.

And in the future?

Time is limited. Spend it or give it the love ones by knowing the last will laws:).

It cost me 2 years to fix mine to avoid taxes in a legal way.

All the best and no offences.

We could all have done so much better by buying a Bar in Pattya in 1987 or before. Selling it in 2004. After that, selling the offspring of the Thai-wife from a previous marriage into slavery to Saudi-Arabia. After that, fake-up the faked-up land title of your Thai-wife and take out a mortgage on it. After that, take all the proceeds and head for the Philippines.

The yield would have been fantastic, dwarfing Warren Buffets track record.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, swissie said:

As I write, 1 oz of Gold sells for  $ 1846

1 0z of Silver sells for $ 21.02     What Ratio makes that?

Your honor, I rest my case. 87 times. Which makes silver a stunning investment, compared to gold. The only thing gold has going over silver, it the portability factor, and it's ease of purchasing and storing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

you were born somewhere, right ? try there first ????

I was born in the UK which has a statutory residence test (actually several different tests rolled into one). Under the SRT I am non-resident and have declared this to the UK tax authorities (there's a section of the tax return that deals with tax residence and domicile).

I actually think part of the problem is that the common reporting standard (which is the basic reason why you have to state your country of tax residency) has been drawn up by people who simply don't comprehend that it is possible not to be tax resident anywhere. I wonder if EU countries have a rule along the lines of "if you haven't become tax resident anywhere else, you are still deemed to be tax resident here". That might explain this mentality but it doesn't fit with the UK system.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Your honor, I rest my case. 87 times. Which makes silver a stunning investment, compared to gold. The only thing gold has going over silver, it the portability factor, and it's ease of purchasing and storing. 

Diamonds is a good investments as also gold and silver coins. Coins because of many countries do not have tax on coins. Minus for diamonds, and why I have not invested, is due to basic known ledge about diamonds. Gold is easier because of the marked standard. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It doesnt mean anything. The ratio might be 100 to 1 next year.

SIlver chart is bearish

Don't shoot the messenger, from Bloomberg.  Personally I'd go for the Chinese Yuan.

"Ruble Surpasses Brazil’s Real as Year’s Best-Performing Currency

Capital controls imposed by Russia have turned the ruble into the world’s best performing currency this year, though not many people can pocket a profit on the rally.

The ruble resumed its advance against the dollar on Wednesday as the Moscow Exchange reopened after two days of public holiday. It’s now up more than 11% against the US dollar since the start of the year, surpassing the real’s 9% advance to become the top gainer among 31 major currencies tracked by Bloomberg. The offshore rate is up even more, about 12%."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-11/russian-ruble-surpasses-brazilian-real-as-world-s-best-currency

As far as the Gold/Silver ratio is concerned,  a highly volatile affair. Ranging from 1:15 up to 1:115 over the last 100 years. In economic downturns, Silver tends to lose over Gold (=industrial use dropping). Hardly have I seen such an "erratic" long term chart.
-There is no "floor" for the Gold/Silver ratio. Unlike the Wheat/Corn ratio. The Wheat/Corn floor is around 150 cts over Corn. Below that, Wheat would be fed increasingly to livestock (higher protein level than Corn etc etc). Currently What over Corn abot 400 cts. Important to remember, there is no such "fundamental floor" with regard to the Gold/Silver ratio.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:03 PM, Sparktrader said:

It doesnt mean anything. The ratio might be 100 to 1 next year.

SIlver chart is bearish

Yep, Silver chart is bearish (oversold). My clairvoyant Romanian Gypsie recommends to sell into next weeks rally.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:52 PM, Sparktrader said:

Swiss franc oversold

Yep. Oversold. My clairvoyant Romanian Gypsie recommends to buy the CHF next week. I'd rather wait until the Europeans start raising interest rates.

I've been focusing on un-ethical investments.  The world seems so messed up now, I think it's a logical strategy.

Arms manufacturers, nuclear power, shale oil fracking, GMO tech, all got to be growth areas.

Just a shame I can't buy shares in a people trafficking business or a dictatorship.

But seriously, my BAE shares did well thanks to crazy Putin, and I've just bought EDF (nuclear power) after they dropped, as I think they are now undervalued.

Bitcoin must also be worth a punt now?

As for currency - RMB if possible, and the Philippino Peso now they've abandoned democracy.

None of this green, ethical, democratic investment in this increasingly evil world - gotta moves with times.

Edited by Kinnock

On 5/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, ozimoron said:

Here is a complete list of assets to hold right now. High inflation also means high interest rates.

1. USD.

Not necessarily. If the demand is there while rates are still low, then rates will stay low. US treasury notes are still offering interest rates far below the rate of inflation. No shortage of buyers.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 2:12 PM, allanos said:

National inflation numbers are massaged or manipulated.

Anyone who believes government-published inflation figures is living in a fool's paradise.

Regular trips to the grocery store tell you all you need to know.

Individually, our personal inflation rates are highly skewed one way or the other from

those produced by governments.  What if you don't own a car? No gas/ petrol, maintenance

costs. What if you live in a home which has been fully paid for? No rent to pay, etc.

ACTUAL inflation numbers, those in the REAL WORLD, are 1.5 to 2 times what governments are telling you.

Lastly, keeping your money in the bank is not a smart move. Simplistically, if inflation is running at 10% and the bank is paying you

2% interest annually, it is costing you 8% each year to keep your money in the bank. After around 6 years, the TRUE value of your money is around a half of that you had when you started.

Really? Have you heard of the billion prices project? Some guys at MIT Sloan and the Harvard Business School decided to track the prices of hundreds of online retailers worldwide.. Guess what? The rate of inflation derived from those prices tallied very closely with what the BLS (US Bureau of Labor Statistics) calculated it to be.

image.png.001afc1e1d9d268845ce0f0303df7b31.png

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/inflation-truth-really/

Edited by placeholder