Monk in pick-up dies after slamming into bridge - speed, unfamiliarity, on phone, microsleep, no seatbelt all mentioned

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A Siam Rath report on the death of a monk in a pick-up in north eastern Thailand mentioned many possibilities as to the cause. 

Police said it could have been high speed, unfamiliarity with the road, "lap nai" or microsleep, or playing on the phone. The victim was not even wearing a seatbelt. 

Other motorists had reported the smash into a bridge wall on the Ban Nong Kung Thap Ma to Ban Non Sawang road in Udon Thani. 

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Rescue workers found the monk slammed into the console - it took an hour for him to be cut out.

He was named as Niwat, 53, from Sakon Nakhon. He was dressed in his saffron robes. 

The local Wang Sammor police came up with all the likelihoods for the accident preferring none. 

Relatives had been contacted. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dionigi said:

I really must brush up on my knowledge of Buddhism, I really do not understand what monks are supposed to be doing.

Me too. In the past I would have sworn that a monk must not drive a (motor) vehicle.

Anyway: this monk must have accumulated enough karma for a better next life (as an abbot?).

4 hours ago, Dionigi said:

I really must brush up on my knowledge of Buddhism, I really do not understand what monks are supposed to be doing.

One thing their not supposed to be doing, is driving.  

• Like 2

"... unfamiliarity with the road ..."

In the pictures, it looks like the road is flat and straight as an arrow for quite a distance. Perhaps he wasn't familiar with the truck-eating barrier.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:18 PM, Road Warrior said:

bet that hurt for the last time !!  pickup need a paint job now !!!

No, just get a front end alignment and slap one of those 9 horsepower diesel engines in it.