China finally coming to it senses with Covid Lockdown

as all lockdowns anywhere in the world. There were several country wide lockdowns in thailand, lasting for over 2 months each.

Their purpose, as any other measure, was to slow down infections and not overburden health service.

And who knows if, when and how many lockdowns on from of us in thailand?

It's not a sure thing. From the article:

“From June 1 to mid- and late June, as long as risks of a rebound in infections are controlled, we will fully implement epidemic prevention and control, normalise management and fully restore normal production and life in the city,” she said."

Lockdowns work but there is a horrific cost to them.   It's not just economies that suffer, it's the effects on people.  We are, by nature, a social species and we do not do well in isolation.   

I would tend to think that by this stage of the pandemic we have enough information to better target mitigation efforts than massive lockdowns.   With vaccines and antivirals most people are not going to get seriously ill.  It's important to contain the spread, but targeting specific places and masking and social distancing are probably effective enough to prevent lockdowns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Kinda disappointed - I wanted their lockdowns to cripple their economy.  "Waengam" as the Thais say.

Unfortunately, their economy and many of their products are essential for the economic growth and stability of other countries.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Credo said:

Unfortunately, their economy and many of their products are essential for the economic growth and stability of other countries.  

I hope that following this crazy and totally arbitrary lockdown from the power-mad CCP, that a lot of companies, and maybe whole industries re-locate outside China, and start becoming a bit more self-sufficient.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, huangnon said:

I hope that following this crazy and totally arbitrary lockdown from the power-mad CCP, that a lot of companies, and maybe whole industries re-locate outside China, and start becoming a bit more self-sufficient.

Actually, that's happening.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Zero-COVID-policy-forces-European-companies-to-consider-China-exit

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2022/4/25/pearl-has-lost-its-shine-shanghai-expats-eye-the-exit

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/abnews/461839-yes-manufacturing-really-is-leaving-china-authorities-are-scrambling-to-slow-down-the-exodus

Maybe businesses also are finally realizing the downside of doing business in a country ruled by a dictator. Policies can change on the turn of a dime. No matter how irrational that turn may be.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:07 PM, huangnon said:

I believe they are.  I was listening to a news report on supply-chain issues and the reporter was saying that a number of companies are looking at having products made in more countries in different areas to try to prevent this type of problem.   

I know that chip manufacturing is returning to the US.   There is a very large facility being built in the SW US.  Years ago, I knew a lot of people who working in chip plants in the US but those plants were all closed and the jobs went overseas.   

Manufacturing that still has some production in the home country can ramp up or expand.  Manufacturing that has completely shut down is hard to reconstitute.   

Part of the more serious problem is the interconnected relationship of modern products.  Everything from the very basic raw materials may come from overseas.   

I don't think there is a really effective way of dealing with all this other than to ramp up our surveillance of pathogens that are likely to cause pandemics.   Our manufacturing simply has so many very complex parts coming from all over the world.   

• Like 1

For the time being it was useful to have lockdowns . They not have been the most pleasant times , but they do cut down on movement of people aka spreading virus . It won't stop it , since people are not machines , which they did try to do in China in some points (or still are) . I could live perfectly happy on my own , but i know most cannot . Anyway , lockdown did serve its purpose , slowing down infection in a way hospitals can cope with the load . After a while , so many did have the infection already , and then they will not go to hospital even if they are infected again , leaving less and less people going hospital , even when the infections surge . This is the point where many EU or other countries went before . It is not ok , but most have had it , and the amount of others are in much smaller amount that hospitals can cope with the workload .

Zero covid was always a pipe dream, couldn't work from day 1, yet Asian fools thought nothing could stop them

there was also some rumors about the Chinese Premier and his handling of the strict lockdowns that didn't go well with the rest of the CCP, so maybe the decision is purely for internal politics