Five year old girl savaged by stray dog: "Dogs are protected" says local official

webfact

2 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

So you don't have male cats where you live?

We have Mexican standoffs going on for what seems an eternity around here. <deleted>#*s up your sleep as much as a dog. 

No, Soi dogs are more than enough, sorry to hear about your noisy cats, if I didn't suffer with vertigo I would live on a high floor of a very high condo block, surely that would lessen the impact of any animal noise ?? 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 2long said:

Rabies can take months to show itself, depending on the site of first infection.

True but what has that got to do with this case?

If a dog was contagious at the time of the bite it will usually die from rabies within 10 days. 

Even if you have been vaccinated before the bite it may be a risk to wait that long before post exposure vaccination.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Archie Baker said:

Your mad. Cats dig up gardens and <deleted> in your flower beds and kill your plants.  Male cats spray their urine everywhere and kill my plants.  All I can say is slingshot

Agreed. Dogs are easy to keep out of your property but it is nigh on impossible to keep cats out. The cats scream during mating time, tear through your plants fighting each other, scratch the paintwork on vehicles, have kittens which take up residence in the engine compartment of your car, kill all the interesting wildlife such as garden lizards and birds and numerous other issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2long said:

- The only way to BE SURE a mammal isn't rabid is to cut off its head and examine its spinal chord.

Maybe a rabies titre test might be more human.

"The rabies titre test is known as rabies neutralising antibody titre test as the test checks for the presence of the antibody that neutralises rabies in your pet's blood. The presence of the antibody in sufficient amounts signifies that the pet has been vaccinated and is immune to rabies."

The rabies titre test explained (petraveller.com.au)

Both the brain dissection analysis and the titre test would be beyond the means of most thais. Vaccination of the child is the most effective option.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

- The only way to BE SURE a mammal isn't rabid is to cut off its head and examine its spinal chord.

- This poor girl was 'savaged' but is expected to be back at school by the end of the week... today's Thursday.

- Dogs rarely attack without reason. Before everyone jumps on this comment, please note I wrote 'rarely.'

- If all soi dogs were eradicated, as many here would like, what might happen to the populations of rats, snakes, cats and other species which are considered vermin but are part of these dogs' diet?

Never heard of that a dog eats cats and rats.
Must be a special species.
Don't tell the Scheinese.

Two Thailand subjects I always find very disturbing are people - especially children - brutalized by dogs, and people - especially children - drowning (although rarely stated, it seems apparent that most of these never learned to swim).

Edited by JimmyJ

Sounds like I might have rattled a few cages today.

I'm not defending this dog, or the fact that there are many stray dogs in Thailand. We all know that there are too many.

But we don't know the facts of this case.

Plus many members are too quick to make a wish for eradicating them, or showing their preference to having stray cats everywhere.

And anyone who wants to convince me that dogs will not eat rats, cats or snakes if given the chance and hungry enough can do so right here.

Dogs born here have just as much right to a life here than some people who chose to come and live here.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Nothing a 9mm bullet won't fix, but this is Thailand, so that won't happen.

for sure, if i had a gun, i would make it happen.

and not just there............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

In twelve years I have been bitten twice by dogs while on my bike, that required hospital treatment and rabies injections.

But on neither of these occasions were they soi dogs. I have been chased a few times but they can't catch me as I accelerate.

The second time the owners dog jumped at my leg as I went to past him on the road coming the other way. Its Owner saw what happened and ultimately paid for my treatment!

they could catch you if they wanted to.

they are just warning you

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

they could catch you if they wanted to.

they are just warning you

Maybe, but they haven't so far. I am over 35 kph in a few seconds.

Soi dogs are not as fit as me!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

The cats scream during mating time, tear through your plants fighting each other, scratch the paintwork on vehicles, have kittens which take up residence in the engine compartment of your car, kill all the interesting wildlife such as garden lizards and birds and numerous other issues.

But they rarely maim and kill people. So, there's that...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:
1 hour ago, lahgon29 said:

The cats around me I consider vermin if in my yard. Some of them tend to disappear now and then.

They shoot them in Oz, feral ones I mean. They carry rabies, as well as dogs.. Just act differently when infected. 

There are two or three cats near us.

One of them (or more than one) which keeps getting on our car (we see the paw marks) all over the car. 

I recently got a new motorcycle, the cat likes the saddle and leaves the fur all over it (nubuck type leather).

The Cat has puked in front of hour house. Has sprayed. Pooped...   not a regular occurrence but enough to dislike the animal. 

I now have to get security camera (something I wanted to do anyway) so that IF the catch scratches up the saddle or somehow scratches the car (jumps on it with grit on its paws) then I have proof to take to the owner and charge them for the damage - that would be an interesting discussion.

If my child kicks the ball against their car it's my responsibility to pay for any damage, so I don’t let my son play with a football near cars etc....   Its more difficult with cats - but thats my problem.

How does any of this compare to a little girl needing 40 stitches and suffering from scars for the rest of her life. Man, to me at least, you come across like a hugely petty i...t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Manop Srinuan of the Na Wang Hin municipality said that strays were protected.

What in Satans name is Wrong with those people ,they don't care about Human lives .

They Protect Flea and tick ridden Mange vermin that carry rabies and people let them starve . 

They rather let people die than cleaning up (exterminate) the Vermin. 

Maybe it would take a pack of mange vermin attack their families to change their mind of what's important Human life or Vermin.

Edited by digger70
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Cats are not vermin but do kill rats and snakes.

From my observation in the village, cats, by there own inquisitive nature rarely survive more than 12 months. the only ones that survive are the ones that actually have responsible owners that actually look after them well. Most only have half, or a broken tail. maybe in their efforts to escape  being attacked and eaten by the dogs (not just strays

In 8 years in a village i have only seen one cat that has survived more than 2 years and it literally does not leave its owners side following her everywhere

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's hard to know as in my area they run in packs. Most of my friends have been bitten and had to get the shots. They said the dogs come up from behind you and bite you in the calf. This is the Thai way and we can't change it. It would be really nice if we could.

I'm pretty sure Russell Crowe can change it with a tweet. Just shame the right people...

A few years ago I was bitten by a dog. I was advised to go to the hospital for a course of injections. It took about three weeks to complete and cost me just under 4000 Bht. Government hospital.
On two occasions when I went, there was a Thai child who had also been bitten by dogs.
Their treatment was free, of course, but this must happen virtually every day and must be costing the health service a fortune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Sounds like I might have rattled a few cages today.

I'm not defending this dog, or the fact that there are many stray dogs in Thailand. We all know that there are too many.

But we don't know the facts of this case.

Plus many members are too quick to make a wish for eradicating them, or showing their preference to having stray cats everywhere.

And anyone who wants to convince me that dogs will not eat rats, cats or snakes if given the chance and hungry enough can do so right here.

Dogs born here have just as much right to a life here than some people who chose to come and live here.

"Dogs born here have just as much right to a life here than some people who chose to come and live here." - This sentence barely makes sense, but if interpreted correctly it is a 180 degree U-turn on your statement "I'm not defending this dog". 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

They simply need to start a nationwide culling program. Most soi dogs are a nuisance. Most are mangy, some are disease ridden, many are hungry, tired, and lead terrible lives of desperation. Some attack people, some terrorize neighborhoods. Many harass the domestic dogs, and cause them to bark all night long, like in my neighborhood. Nobody wants to do anything about it. Culling is the answer. If they found a budget for it, they could do it Western style. Round up the dogs, clean them up, vaccinate them, and put them up for adoption. The ones who are not adopted after 60 days are simply put down. Nothing cruel about it. Not doing something like this, is both cruel to the dogs and to the neighborhoods they infest.

GettyImages-668030048_2400.jpg

dog-mange-shampoo-1.jpg

Thanks for using the word "infest".

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It's hard to know as in my area they run in packs. Most of my friends have been bitten and had to get the shots. They said the dogs come up from behind you and bite you in the calf. This is the Thai way and we can't change it. It would be really nice if we could.

Yeah this has happened to me several times, some alpha dog challenges me from the front, barking its little head off, while another sneaky SOB circles around to bite my ankle/calf/heel. Luckily I'm aware of this tactic and start swinging whatever I have with me. But it's just a matter of time until they get me. 

Edited by androokery
  • Like 1