Woops, Air Asia Lands On The Wrong Runway At Don Mueang

webfact

image.jpeg

FILE PHOTO: A Thai Air Asia Airbus A320-200 plane prepares for take off at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok, Thailand, June 29, 2016. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom/File Photo

By Editor

Thailand’s Civil Aviation Authority (CAAT) has reported what it describes as a “serious incident” which took place earlier this month.  On May 4, an AirAsia Airbus A320-200 is reported to have landed on the wrong runway at Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport.

The Thai AirAsia aircraft departed Ranong city at 12:43 and landed on Don Muang’s unassigned 21L runway at 13:36, instead of the 21R runway as intended.

No accidents occurred as a result of the mistake, but Thailand’s CAAT has rated the incident as “serious” following standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. Two pilots have been temporarily suspended in connection with the incident.

Landing on the wrong runway can have fatal consequences, for example the 1979 crash of Western Airlines Flight 2605 which landed on a runway which was closed for maintenance in Mexico City, killing 72 of the 89 people on board and a maintenance worker on the runway.

Thailand’s CAAT has launched an investigation into the incident which should be completed within 30 days.

Don Mueang Airport only has two runways, with a golf course in between them owned by the Royal Thai Air Force, golfers are warned by a red light whenever a plane is about to land.

AirAsia has apologised for the incident and insists it aims to always strictly adhere to relevant safety procedures.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/woops-air-asia-lands-on-the-wrong-runway-at-don-mueang/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Woops, Air Asia Lands On The Wrong Runway At Don Mueang 

landed on Don Muang’s unassigned 21L runway at 13:36, instead of the 21R runway as intended

This is not a 'woops' 

Bloody dangerous and scary. 

Give the pilot a broom and his incompetent co-pilot. 

I read in Australia pilots and co-pilots are similar in rank, meaning if there is an issue that doesn't seem right the co-pilot can question and take control if need be. 

If it was a misunderstanding from the control centre, having poor communication due to improper language skills get the guys trained up by proper English speaking trainers. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai AirAsia aircraft departed Ranong city at 12:43 and landed on Don Muang’s unassigned 21L runway at 13:36, instead of the 21R runway as intended.

Considering the ATC tower give vectors if on a VFR approach or landing via ILS I don't understand how this could have happened?

There are also extra symbols on the main screen which should also give guidance as to GPS location, and show that they were not on the correct centre line.

Pilot complacency in thinking they were correct and not making sure they were correct.

Edited by hotchilli

4 hours ago, harada said:

Considering that the pilot of a fighter jet who parked across the runway at Don Mueang to stop a Japanese plane from landing did not receive a penalty, a wai and a 500 baht fine should suffice here. :jap:.

I laughed so much I had to take a leak at the side of the road.

56 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Considering the ATC tower give vectors if on a VFR approach or landing via ILS I don't understand how this could have happened?

There are also extra symbols on the main screen which should also give guidance as to GPS location, and show that they were not on the correct centre line.

Pilot complacency in thinking they were correct and not making sure they were correct.

probably micro sleep

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two comments, as a pilot. 

The "Tower" do not give "vectors"...any radar vectors are given by the Approach Controller. A long way away.

English language skills by ATC at all of DMK. BKK and radar control centers are excellent. Precise and clear.

These 2 runways are very close and I doubt that a Tower controller (who only issues the landing clearance....which usually includes the runway designated) would visually pick this up.

I think the main fault rests with the pilots for not selecting and double checking that the correct runway had been selected and identified. 

This is standard procedure. 

Buy MANY Asian pilots up "reft" and "light".

In English spoken thai, L and R are often switched !

• Thanks 1

Yes, bloody dangerous and scary! But also such occurrences happen on a monthly, if not weekly base somewhere in the world. That said, such occurrences are not limited to Thailand. Some years ago in the US, a landing Air Canada jet almost crashed into 4 waiting other jets waiting on the taxiway. The pilots just mixed up the runway with the taxiway. This likely biggest accident ever in aviation was avoided by a few seconds and meters, as ATC ordered a go around.

There must be a tough investigation, which I trust will happen. But also, to ridicule the pilots and to shout for punishment is NOT the way how mistakes should be handled in aviation. The community, pilots, ATC and authorities, want to learn from mistakes to prevent the same or similar mistakes in the future.

Punishment leads to mistakes being swept under the carpet with zero chance of learning the lesson and teaching others.

• Like 1