Thailand gym attack: Hastings victim's face 'butchered'

webfact

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

If you watch the interview, guy was actually caught on the spot, he did not get away, other members blocked him from leaving. He showed up to police interview with a lawyer, and made an offer of 100 000, which was turned down (naturally) as it is right now, i am guessing some negotiations taking place behind closed doors and case getting ready to go to court.

Attacker would have to pay the victim, plus cover all medical and pay lets call it police fine.

Attacker claims he has no money, but he sold his house and dojo in UK just recently, so he does have the money.

If i had to guess, he will fight it for a while and then cover all medical and most likely few baht to the victim and perhaps good behavior, but because it made international news, it may also go the other way, where he ends up in court and jailed

Yeah I watched a video a few days ago, since then no update, that's what we're looking for

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I have no idea why lot of you insists on being ignorant when its a fact, made news ages ago, even naming his dojo, who bought when and where. Incredibly clueless 

When read story and saw his injury...I thought it was a play for easy money on gofundme.

That guy needs arrested and/or deported that did that.

Id probably tell a guy to F off too if they just tried to take the equipment I'm using.  But not a lot of defense you can do when you are on your back concentrating on an exercise when someone comes from behind like that.

Almost joined that gym.  Now glad I didn't.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

If you watch the interview, guy was actually caught on the spot, he did not get away, other members blocked him from leaving. He showed up to police interview with a lawyer, and made an offer of 100 000, which was turned down (naturally) as it is right now, i am guessing some negotiations taking place behind closed doors and case getting ready to go to court.

Attacker would have to pay the victim, plus cover all medical and pay lets call it police fine.

Attacker claims he has no money, but he sold his house and dojo in UK just recently, so he does have the money.

If i had to guess, he will fight it for a while and then cover all medical and most likely few baht to the victim and perhaps good behavior, but because it made international news, it may also go the other way, where he ends up in court and jailed

Thanks for adding more grist to the mill. The article I read in a British paper missed out a lot of those extra details. Though the victim, Gary Reed, did state: "This guy was still trying to hit me but I was strong enough to overpower him then he legged it." So it's understandable why some of us have got the impression the perp hightailed it out of there after the attack. 

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

I dont think you get both, do you?

If you accept payment for your injuries, do you still go to Court ?

Police function as arbiters in such  cases - the perp pays the victim to avoid court- the police  take a cut- justice  of sorts  is done.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Well I’m sure his insurance will pay for it and surely he did have insurance only ###would travel without insurance

Yes, because travel insurance companies are world renown for quickly paying up when you're in dire need of urgent medical care. Without knowing the victim's insurance policy, he might have been told they need a police report before they process his claim. There could be many extenuating circumstances preventing him from still receiving the money to pay for his own medical bills.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

Yes, because travel insurance companies are world renown for quickly paying up when you're in dire need of urgent medical care. Without knowing the victim's insurance policy, he might have been told they need a police report before they process his claim. There could be many extenuating circumstances preventing him from still receiving the money to pay for his own medical bills.

He did have insurance but it ran out few weeks prior to incident, he could not renew it because he was already overseas and as he admitted he thought its the end of the holiday, so nothing to worry about, as he was about to go back home anyway

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

In Oz that would be considered a king hit, 10 years off the cuff.

Well not quite 10 years more like 10 months...... this guy got 1 year 9 months  usually get 1 third off

---But he said it was an accident, so I suppose he should have walked--pity about the CCTV .................:w00t:

Darwin Australia

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

He did have insurance but it ran out few weeks prior to incident, he could not renew it because he was already overseas and as he admitted he thought its the end of the holiday, so nothing to worry about, as he was about to go back home anyway

Once again, thanks for joining the dots. It sounds like he extended his holiday stay out there, like many thousands do, hence why his insurance ran out slightly early. Most unfortunate that he happened to bump into a deranged holidaymaker on his remaining last few weeks.

2 hours ago, racket said:

This warrants 1 year prison imo.

If an Estonian got 3 years just the other day for an overstay, but commuted to 2 years parol, this guy might get the max, easily 3-5, but possibly commuted to 1-2 years jail if he pays all medical bills and losses

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

indeed, only the attacker is not on holidays, he is an expat living in Pattaya for 5 years ???? which actually works in victims favor because attacker clearly planning to live here, and if he does not pay, it may result in jail term and deportation

Interesting. I thought I read in an earlier post that the attacker was also there on a 6-month holiday visa. Thanks for clearing that up. And you're quite right, the fact that the attacker has been residing there for 5 years hopefully goes in the victim's favour. Nasty business and so unnecessary. 

16 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

Interesting. I thought I read in an earlier post that the attacker was also there on a 6-month holiday visa. Thanks for clearing that up. And you're quite right, the fact that the attacker has been residing there for 5 years hopefully goes in the victim's favour. Nasty business and so unnecessary. 

personally what i find pathetic is not so much that he used a dumbbell, but the fact that he intentionally went to get it, which was out of his way and attacked while other guy was doing his set and from the back. I have seen rages in the gyms where guys throw dumbbells or plates into other guys heads, but this low life went out of his way, specifically to get a dumbbell and funny enough got the lightest one he could find(perhaps could not lift anything heavier? lol)

Edited by BestB
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

personally what i find pathetic is not so much that he used a dumbbell, but the fact that he intentionally went to get out, which was out of his way and attacked while other guy was doing his set and from the back. I have seen rages in the gyms where guys throw dumbbells or plates into other guys heads, but this low life went out of his way, specifically to get a dumbbell and funny enough got the lightest one he could find(perhaps could not lift anything heavier? lol)

Yes, it was a cowardly attack. I still can't understand why the perp just couldn't wait a few more minutes until the other guy had finished his short set rather than try to bludgeon him to death. Without knowing the psychological makeup of the attacker, I'd say he's someone that's used to getting his own way and doesn't like it when he doesn't. I think it's called self-entitlement.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I am very sorry for him being attacked and hurt like that. However, I fail to understand how he have to save his eye to be able to go home??? Even blind people can fly.

I agree, I'm sick of these go fund me stories, he could be home in 18 hours but is waiting to raise 15k which could take weeks to have the operation in Thailand?  

Something wrong here

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I am very sorry for him being attacked and hurt like that. However, I fail to understand how he have to save his eye to be able to go home??? Even blind people can fly.

High pressure airplane cabins can induce serious reactions when carrying contusion injuries or after surgery.

• Like 2