Thailand gym attack: Hastings victim's face 'butchered'

webfact

image.jpeg

Gary Reed's eye socket was shattered in the attack.

A British man who was attacked in a gym in Thailand says his face was "butchered", leaving him fighting to save his eye so he can return home.

Gary Reed, from Hastings in East Sussex, was struck with a dumbbell while working out in Pattaya on 16 May.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said the attack shattered the orbital bone around his eye that now requires reconstructing.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-61556251

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2022-05-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Rockhound said:

I'm sure this was the guy I saw on Pattaya Beach yesterday afternoon.

Should have asked for an autograph, he's world famous now. Surprised the BBC picked this up but this is good as Thai Police will be even more pressured to impose harsh penalties on the attacker who apparently has retained a lawyer and only offered 100k out of what will be an estimated 800k procedure. Interesting how in this article he says he really wants to go home now but previously he was saying he wanted to stay here, especially until he can get a visa for the lady he met here to come back to the UK with him.

• Like 2

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Quite rightly he wants the case finalised before going home i.e. caveman goes to jail and pays 1m+ compensation

I dont think you get both, do you?

If you accept payment for your injuries, do you still go to Court ?

9 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

And an ex Seal Team 6 Delta Force Commando, no doubt. 

Or maybe juat a karnt that smashed someone with a dumbbell ...not sure if they have blackbelts in that. It is pattaya though

In other news his face isnt that <deleted> up tbh honest definitely not "butchered" and isnt this just another variation on the ive got no insurance sook?

Edited by starky
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Right.. Showing the discipline and restraint required to reach that zenith of achievement in the martial arts.

Yep..Have never seen that Dumb bell move in Martial Arts,even by a novice,how he got to be a master is beyond me

Brown Envelopes?

59 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

And an ex Seal Team 6 Delta Force Commando, no doubt. 

Try to be less ignorant and do some research, he is a Taekwando master, sold his dojo and moved to Thailand. 

12 minutes ago, Inala said:

What nationality is the attacker? I could probably take a reasonable guess but don't want to jump the gun.

Your average Pom/Yank/Aussie wouldn't do something unprovoked like this. We're not that short fused and are (mostly) taught to practice inner restraint and discipline. 

You've got to be joking...????????????????????

• Haha 1