Thailand gym attack: Hastings victim's face 'butchered'

webfact

52 minutes ago, BestB said:

actually it was a dumbbell, but no need to pay attention to details 

My apologies as I wasn't sure how spell 'dumb' until I saw your alias. Thanks for pointing that out for me, I'll now sleep better tonight.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just you, if you watch the video you'll understand 

Base on your response I went back to story read click the BBC,  I see no video? 

Based on his word he said he saw I'm wondering until I do find and see the video if he knew the guy had grabbed from behind came to attack from behind there he must I have seen it coming. 

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Based on his word he said he saw I'm wondering until I do find and see the video if he knew the guy had grabbed from behind came to attack from behind there he must I have seen it coming. 

there you go

https://youtu.be/NGj59U1Yk6g

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I agree, I'm sick of these go fund me stories, he could be home in 18 hours but is waiting to raise 15k which could take weeks to have the operation in Thailand?  

Something wrong here

There's been plenty of criminal cases that have fallen apart when the victim has returned home from Thailand. It would probably suit the police for it to be an open-and-shut case as the story would then go away.

No, I can fully understand why the victim needs to remain in Thailand to see that justice is carried out. Then there's the medical advice that he's been purported to have received from his doctor, stating that high pressure cabin airplanes can induce serious reactions when carrying contusion injuries. There is a thing about being medically sound to fly and the airlines might even refuse to take him.

8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

There's a video on the DM site. I'm sure it's carried elsewhere, too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

My apologies as I wasn't sure how spell 'dumb' until I saw your alias. Thanks for pointing that out for me, I'll now sleep better tonight.

case in point, why bother to know the facts before running off your mouth, no doubt you can sleep better after expressing your worthless opinion

31 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I agree, I'm sick of these go fund me stories, he could be home in 18 hours but is waiting to raise 15k which could take weeks to have the operation in Thailand?  

Something wrong here

He cannot fly home at the moment . 

He isnt fit to fly , you cannot fly with serious injuries 

• Like 2

The attacker won't see the inside of a jail cell, he will buy his way out of trouble as is the norm in Thailand. Remember the thug (American?) who head kicked the customer in Soi6 a few years ago. Very quickly disappeared from the news feeds. Was he jailed? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He cannot fly home at the moment . 

He isnt fit to fly , you cannot fly with serious injuries 

Where does it say this in the BBC article?

He extended his stay but didn't extend his insurance, how many times do we read this in these Go Fund me stories? ????

10 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

He extended his stay but didn't extend his insurance, how many times do we read this in these Go Fund me stories? ????

You can't extend your travel insurance once you've already left your home country and travelled. It tends to stipulate that in the small print. Any insurance company would advise you to take out a full year's policy and not for a limited and locked-in time period.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It doesn't say it in the article , I havent counted how many times we have read people not extending their insurance 

7 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

You can't extend your travel insurance once you've already left your home country and travelled. It tends to stipulate that in the small print. Any insurance company would advise you to take out a full year's policy and not for a limited and locked-in time period.

So these people take a chance and when something happens expect total strangers to foot the bill?

He was here on holiday which means he would have more then likely had to take out a years insurance anyway, how long was he here for? How long ago had his insurance finished?

He would have had to have insurance to enter the country if he had come here on holiday

Doesn't add up does it?

44 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

As I said, I am sorry for what happened to him, but people that can´t pay a small bill when something happens have nothing in Thailand to do.

It's stated in another article that his medical bills could run up to 700,000 baht. I wouldn't necessarily call that a small sum, especially when you're the victim of the unprovoked attack.

Sure, the victim made the mistake of extending his holiday stay that went slightly beyond his insurance cover dates. But how many of you are guilty of doing the exact same thing here? Bottom line, you don't expect to be attacked by some deranged person and need to pay your own medical bills. It would be different if he was riding a motorbike without insurance, but this is not the same. Why isn't it the same, you ask? Because he wasn't putting himself in any direct danger, unless you now consider going to the gym for a normal workout as a high risk endeavour. 

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

So these people take a chance and when something happens expect total strangers to foot the bill?

He was here on holiday which means he would have more then likely had to take out a years insurance anyway, how long was he here for? How long ago had his insurance finished?

He would have had to have insurance to enter the country if he had come here on holiday

Doesn't add up does it?

But he's not asking you to foot his medical bill. The choice is yours to make if you feel so inclined. I don't understand why you feel so slighted.

Yes, it's said he had travel insurance to enter the country. But as well you should know, there are some people that like to extend their holiday stay when they're out there, but are also undecided. It's something they decide to do when they're there. I've done it myself. Fortunately for me I didn't encounter some deranged person who decided to sneak up on me and bludgeon me half-senseless. I also factored in my additional stay into my insurance should I decide to stay longer. Evidently this poor chap did not. 

3 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

But he's not asking you to foot his medical bill. The choice is yours to make if you feel so inclined. I don't understand why you feel so slighted.

Yes, it's said he had travel insurance to enter the country. But as well you should know, there are some people that like to extend their holiday stay when they're out there, but are also undecided. It's something they decide to do when they're there. I've done it myself. Fortunately for me I didn't encounter some deranged person who decided to sneak up on me and bludgeon me half-senseless. I also factored in my additional stay into my insurance should I decide to stay longer. Evidently this poor chap did not. 

So you're just taking his side of the sob story ( I don't mean the attack ) without even questioning it? 

9 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

So you're just taking his side of the sob story ( I don't mean the attack ) without even questioning it? 

I'm taking the story at face value, yes. Chiefly, because I've seen the video evidence of a large man striding up to another man flat on his back, blindsided and totally unaware that he's about to be smashed in the face with a 1kg dumbbell. What's there to question? 

Of course the perp is perfectly entitled to give his side of the story, but so far the coward hasn't. That in itself speaks volumes.

Edited by Senior Player

17 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I'm taking the story at face value, yes. Chiefly, because I've seen the video evidence of a large man striding up to another man flat on his back, blindsided and totally unaware that he's about to be smashed in the face with a 1kg dumbbell. What's there to question? 

Of course the perp is perfectly entitled to give his side of the story, but so far the coward hasn't. That in itself speaks volumes.

You obviously didn't read the part where I said I'm not questioning his version about the attack  ????

3 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Something wrong here

As it's not a "Life Threatening" Injury, he'll have to wait months (at least) to get it done on the NHS by which time will probably have lost use of the eye & be seriously disfigured.  

Obviously having the operation in a private hospital will cost even more. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

21 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

You obviously didn't read the part where I said I'm not questioning his version about the attack  ????

I chose to ignore it because the whole scenario IS about the gym attack! As you didn't specify what you were referring to, I can only assume that you're peeved in some way about his travel insurance arrangements, or lack thereof, not covering assault and battery or attempted murder for his full duration. That's irrelevant. This is about seeing justice served, not travel insurance cover.

Let's hope whatever ironclad travel insurance arrangements you have aren't tested by some nutter blindsiding you with a heavy metal object in Thailand. I'd hate to have to read your sob story afterwards. ????

But as another poster commented above: we're unlikely to discover the true outcome of this cowardly attack, especially as farang-on-farang crimes tend to be set aside and forgotten about, or gathering dust somewhere. He raised a good point: What did happen to that guy who got kicked in the head on Soi 6 outside a coffee bar? I can't quite recall the details of his travel insurance either.

7 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I chose to ignore it because the whole scenario IS about the gym attack! As you didn't specify what you were referring to, I can only assume that you're peeved in some way about his travel insurance arrangements, or lack thereof, not covering assault and battery or attempted murder for his full duration. That's irrelevant. This is about seeing justice served, not travel insurance cover.

Let's hope whatever ironclad travel insurance arrangements you have aren't tested by some nutter blindsiding you with a heavy metal object in Thailand. I'd hate to have to read your sob story afterwards. ????

But as another poster commented above: we're unlikely to discover the true outcome of this cowardly attack, especially as farang-on-farang crimes tend to be set aside and forgotten about, or gathering dust somewhere. He raised a good point: What did happen to that guy who got kicked in the head on Soi 6 outside a coffee bar? I can't quite recall the details of his travel insurance either.

I wouldnt  be giving anyone a sob story and I certainly wouldn't be asking total strangers to help me because I couldn't be bothered or would rather spend my money on more important things than insurance

I live here so I don't have travel insurance but yes of course I have insurance

The whole it's ok I won't take care of myself, if something happens I'll ask other people to help me is what annoys me

29 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As it's not a "Life Threatening" Injury, he'll have to wait months (at least) to get it done on the NHS by which time will probably have lost use of the eye & be seriously disfigured.  

Obviously having the operation in a private hospital will cost even more. 

And I'm sure you've seen the doctor's report stating this?

Eyesight injuries are seen as urgent by the NHS especially ones that could mean losing the sight in a eye, it certainly wouldnt take months

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I live here so I don't have travel insurance but yes of course I have insurance

The whole it's ok I won't take care of myself, if something happens I'll ask other people to help me is what annoys me.

I get where you're coming from with regards to having medical cover and the bleeding heart stories, but there are exceptions. This is one of those situations where medical cover or insurance doesn't protect you against physical assault or attempted murder. The victim will still need to remain in the Kingdom to keep up the pressure on the police and provide statements which will cost even more money. This is how some of the perps getaway with their crimes, because as soon the foreigner goes home due to lack of funds or for their work, the case is largely forgotten about or no longer a priority.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I get where you're coming from with regards to having medical cover and the bleeding heart stories, but there are exceptions. This is one of those situations where medical cover or insurance doesn't protect you against physical assault or attempted murder. The victim will still need to remain in the Kingdom to keep up the pressure on the police and provide statements which will cost even mo

re money. This is how some of the perps getaway with their crimes, because as soon the foreigner goes home due to lack of funds or for their work, the case is largely forgotten about or no longer a priority.

But that's not stated in the BBC  report is it? It just says the money is to save his eyesight, now it's to pay for his legal bills also? 

It could take weeks or months to raise the 15k he is asking for, if it does then maybe the operation he "urgently " needs is not so urgent after all? 

Don't take all you read as facts because to me there is something wrong here and again I'm not disputing he was attacked as the report states he will be returning home after the operation so it seems he is not intending to stick around to see justice done

Edited by darrendsd