Anyone know an agent who can help renew 5 year Thai Car Drivers Licence.?

mikey88

Hi everyone…

I went out to the Transport Department but had no luck and no clue as to what to do….?

No one there could help and no one could explain what I needed to do.

The truth of the matter is that they were rushed and rude.

I have an 5 year Thai car drivers licence that expired when I was locked out of the country due to COVID 

if you know of an agent who might be able to help I’d be grateful and am happy to pay …

To the best of my knowledge you have to attend yourself. You'll have to watch the education video, then do the tests, both driving test and the computer test, then - presuming you pass - you have your photo taken for the DL. 

Last time I went through this process was 3 years ago in Pranburi, I did ask around at the time for an easier way out and was told I must attend in person. Perhaps someone will post here later that they have managed to pay someone off and get their DL without attending, but, as I said, to the best of my knowledge you'll have to do it personally.

30 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

if you know of an agent who might be able to help I’d be grateful and am happy to pay …

You have to put where you live Mikey88, before you will get any assist.......:coffee1:

grain maybe right--maybe its one you have to attend, but with my last renewal, in the middle of covid , they were only taking a few each session 2 sessions a day. -- but my wife gifted them and I jumped the waiting list-- I guess that may be the best you can do===take your G/F along if not an agent can go with you, but it seems like a waist of money.

A shame you are not in Chiang Rai, I had a Thai woman help me renew both my scooter and car licences after they had been expired for two months. Paid her 800 baht, easy-peasy.

Grain is correct, one does have to attend in person, although all I did was look at the traffic light and nominate the colors.

You might try Assist Thai Visa in ChiangMaiLand, although I am not sure if they handle licences. Failing that, look for any Thai woman who has a licence herself, and is competent in both English and Thai. I'm sure she would be happy to help for the right inducement.

I'll also PM with a contact I know, good man, but I don't know where he is at present, or if he would be interested.

You need to go to the counter on the 2nd floor...

If it is more than 2 years expired, you need to go through the entire process which includes driving school and written test, which can be a bear as they don't have material to learn from but the driving school will have sample tests which are often poorly worded in English... 

I'm looking out for an agent to get my 5-year license again...was told yesterday no more residency certs. for those onu tourist visas of any length...got my one on non-o originally...need my license to have valid road insurance.

I'm sure agents will be able to get this sorted if someone knows one that has got round this situation...

There's a sticky forum thread right here with all the details. If you have a yellow book the process is super easy. If you need a certificate from your embassy, good luck, but an agent can't help with that anyway. An agent is also not going to sit the exam for you, and you still have to go there in person and go through all the steps yourself. I have done this process countless times, never even spoke a word of Thai. I really don't understand how an agent can actually help, but I'm confident you'll be able to find an agent willing to take your money and 'help' you anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clokwise said:

There's a sticky forum thread right here with all the details. If you have a yellow book the process is super easy. If you need a certificate from your embassy, good luck, but an agent can't help with that anyway. An agent is also not going to sit the exam for you, and you still have to go there in person and go through all the steps yourself. I have done this process countless times, never even spoke a word of Thai. I really don't understand how an agent can actually help, but I'm confident you'll be able to find an agent willing to take your money and 'help' you anyway.

Yes, I need RESIDENCY CERT. as I said, not someone to sit my test.

Just renew my 5 year license from 2 year temporary license in Feb.  Go to the 2nd floor of the Department of Land Transportation, you'll need a medical certificate and resident certificate from immigration. No need to attend lessons, just a quick simple color bilndness test.

23 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You have to put where you live Mikey88, before you will get any assist.......:coffee1:

grain maybe right--maybe its one you have to attend, but with my last renewal, in the middle of covid , they were only taking a few each session 2 sessions a day. -- but my wife gifted them and I jumped the waiting list-- I guess that may be the best you can do===take your G/F along if not an agent can go with you, but it seems like a waist of money.

It's  in the CM forum  so let's assume  he lives in CM which seems woefully underserviced by agents.

Just renew my expired more than 2 yrs Temp driving licence to 5 yrs with non o 3 months visa at CM tdy. At counter 27 2nd storey

1.Resident cert.(from Immg)

2.medical cert

3) passport

4)informed them lost the licence.

Went last week to get appointment for tdy.

Went tdy counter 27 to submit all papers as mention abv.paid 505b .abt 1.5 hrs.