True / Need New Modem

simcity

I have a 3-4 years old modem ( TERA ) for TRUE connection, 10 % of the time I put on the computer I get a blue screen , the prob is from glausb.sys ( who are from this modem and true ) and sometime my computer freeze when I surf !

Anyway I ring True, told the person my two problems, she told me now they give BULLION or ZYXEL to customers.

Technician came today, I was hopping they will change my modem , but no ( only to new customers ) after hearing I will be charge for the service today, I told the service I am cancelling my account and will reapply as new costumer , anyway at the end , I did not be charge , but still need a new modem !

The computer is new and have a large USB at the back ( LAN , I think )

Please, if someone can direct me in the good way !

If I get to Pantip and get a BULLION, do I need specials files / driver from TRUE ?

I already download ( firware_true_5102s.zip )

Now next question, can I buy a BULLION adls router as unit, if I want to use the laptop upstairs ( WIFI ) instead?

When you look at :

http://www.trueinternet.co.th/cus_hi_driver.htm

what is the modem I need for LAN and wireless , if both can be accomplish in one time ?

question three : Will it be better for me to cool down for few weeks and ask TRUE to came to install a new wireless modem , or they will charge me ( monthly extra for wireless and cost of unit more as Pantip ? )

thank you for replying !

I had True installed but, because of a technical situation (I had a Mac), the Zylux modem would not work. I bought a router and all is well. I still have the modem, power adapter, cables, and instruction manual. For the price of a beer, they're all yours. I'm currently living in Shanghai, and I'll be in BKK 7/5-15. I'm living in the CBD, not far from the Chongnonsi Skytrain station. Cheers!

I had True installed but, because of a technical situation (I had a Mac), the Zylux modem would not work. I bought a router and all is well. I still have the modem, power adapter, cables, and instruction manual. For the price of a beer, they're all yours. I'm currently living in Shanghai, and I'll be in BKK 7/5-15. I'm living in the CBD, not far from the Chongnonsi Skytrain station. Cheers!

thank backflip, i am more looking for a bullion and answers to my question .

Now next question, can I buy a BULLION adls router as unit, if I want to use the laptop upstairs ( WIFI ) instead?

...do I need specials files / driver from TRUE ?

...what is the modem I need for LAN and wireless , if both can be accomplish in one time ?

If you were not "dead set" on the Bullion, you could buy a device that is, in my opinion, far superior, like the LinkSys ADSL Modem Wireless Router (WAG54G). It provides both modem and wireless router functions. No drivers required!

Edited by Rice_King

...what is the modem I need for LAN and wireless , if both can be accomplish in one time ?

If you were not "dead set" on the Bullion, you could buy a device that is, in my opinion, far superior, like the LinkSys ADSL Modem Wireless Router (WAG54G). It provides both modem and wireless router functions. No drivers required!

thank you , i bookmark the page, the TRUE service man , did write DLINK ( perhaps the same ) in the list of modem good to buy, the connection is throgh a usb or LAN ( like telephone socket , but bigger ) ?

thank

...the TRUE service man , did write DLINK ( perhaps the same ) in the list of modem good to buy, the connection is throgh a usb or LAN ( like telephone socket , but bigger ) ?

thank

DLINK, LINKSYS, do make the same network devices.

Connection is through your PC's RJ45 network socket, which as you queried, "...like telephone socket , but bigger." (see picture.)

If you buy one that connects to the USB, it will require drivers and again, in my opinion, the wrong approach for your application.

rj45.jpg

Edited by Rice_King

Rice King , when i need to do the setup , create a new connection / conect to internet / set up my connection manually / will i have to choose 1/ connect using a broadband that requires a user name and password OR connect using a broadband connection that is always on ?

thk

Rice King , when i need to do the setup , create a new connection / conect to internet / set up my connection manually / will i have to choose 1/ connect using a broadband that requires a user name and password OR connect using a broadband connection that is always on ?

thk

There is no requirement to run the "New Connection Wizard" in Windows. The default Windows settings should allow you to connect the modem / router to your PC, then configure it via your web browser. The network device will have all of your connection settings, NOT the PC. Configure the device with your ISP user name, password, internet connection type, etc.. (I'm sure other folks here using TRUE can provide some assistance with these config settings if needed.)

Note: If you have difficulty connecting to the device via the web browser, make sure that the LOCAL AREA NETWORK connection Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) property settings are set to "Obtain an IP address automatically."

You will probably get a setup CD with the device. In most, if not all cases, the CD contains setup instructions and/or an installation wizard. You may elect not to even use the CD as it is not necessary to make the device operate. You should not have to load any drivers or software on the PC as all user configurations will take place on the network device.

Just be sure to R.T.F.M. when you finally get the device. That will go a long way to achieving a successfully connection.

Edited by Rice_King

Hi Rice King

Today I went to Pata IT , I show them the print link you give me :

They do not have the ( WAG54G ) but they have the one showing in the picture .

They ask same price as the link mentioned 3800 Baht .

I am still not sure if the link price is for the ( WAG54G ) or the one picture showing !

Anyway I did not get it , as the box was open , and I could not come back tomorrow and get money back refund .

If you can clarified this point for me .

Generically speaking, you want a wireless unit that has both an ADSL gateway and router functionality built into it. LinkSys and DLink are two of the big names. There are many other brands that offer devices that accomplish the same thing.

Here is a LinkSys model that has the features you require: LinkSys WAG200G Wireless-G ADSL2+ Router.

According to their ad, Shop4Thai is selling the WAG200G for under 3,000 baht.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating one brand or store over another. These are just examples of what you're looking for to suit your needs.

Edited by Rice_King

Generically speaking, you want a wireless unit that has both an ADSL gateway and router functionality built into it. LinkSys and DLink are two of the big names. There are many other brands that offer devices that accomplish the same thing.

Here is a LinkSys model that has the features you require: LinkSys WAG200G Wireless-G ADSL2+ Router.

According to their ad, Shop4Thai is selling the WAG200G for under 3,000 baht.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating one brand or store over another. These are just examples of what you're looking for to suit your needs.

WOW the shop this morning try to charge 3800 for it ...

I feel they was not happy when i refuse , plus it was a open box ..only 1 in all the center , did not have time to go to pantip !

perhaps i will go for a Dlink if i see Linksys his hard to get in pantip .

thank you , i appreciated all the information i get & it is nice to know , one can get support from other member on this site !

True take you for stupid as soon as you ring them .

Edited by simcity

Hello :o

I have a D-Link modem-router..... got that in Panthip (some shop on fourth floor near the elevator). It is a real router with four LAN ports and also includes WiFI. The telephone line connects to it as well, no additional modem required.

It can be set to be "always on" so you never need to "dial up" - turn on the computer and you are online already :D 100% compatible with TRUE, and if you wait at the shop for like 20 minutes they will set it up for you (you need to give them your TRUE login details, i.e. user name and password) for free.

So you come home, plug it in, turn it on - and surf the net :D

And if you have a laptop / second computer with WiFI, you will only need to set up the wireless LAN which is easy as the included manual is very good to understand (english and thai manual included) and your second machine will be online too, no hassle with ICS etc.

And i paid like 1.800 Baht for the thing........

Kind regards....

your Thanh

...they will set it up for you (you need to give them your TRUE login details, i.e. user name and password) for free.

So you come home, plug it in, turn it on - and surf the net :o

And after you're home, change your passwords on the router AND TRUE account!

Edited by Rice_King

I have a 3-4 years old modem ( TERA ) for TRUE connection, 10 % of the time I put on the computer I get a blue screen , the prob is from glausb.sys ( who are from this modem and true ) and sometime my computer freeze when I surf !

Anyway I ring True, told the person my two problems, she told me now they give BULLION or ZYXEL to customers.

Technician came today, I was hopping they will change my modem , but no ( only to new customers ) after hearing I will be charge for the service today, I told the service I am cancelling my account and will reapply as new costumer , anyway at the end , I did not be charge , but still need a new modem !

The computer is new and have a large USB at the back ( LAN , I think )

Please, if someone can direct me in the good way !

If I get to Pantip and get a BULLION, do I need specials files / driver from TRUE ?

I already download ( firware_true_5102s.zip )

When you look at :

http://www.trueinternet.co.th/cus_hi_driver.htm

what is the modem I need for LAN and wireless , if both can be accomplish in one time ?

question three : Will it be better for me to cool down for few weeks and ask TRUE to came to install a new wireless modem , or they will charge me ( monthly extra for wireless and cost of unit more as Pantip ? )

thank you for replying !

A friend of mine cancels his contract every year and apply as a new user. :o

He has a lot of modems with him and he will do it again soon.

If you are using true then it is time to move to Super Hi-Speed ( :D ) internet.

sadly my area is not cover for super Hi speed.

I know i could cancel my account and reapply and get a new moden from them, but i prefer to get my own and not have to deal with them as much i can .

i will look for a Dlink as soon as i have time .

thank all for the replies

• 7 months later...

Rice_King

6 months later, i just bought a Linksys modem in pantip, Wireless-N ADSL2+ Gateway WAG325N

working perfectly, no problem to set up

thank for the help

Go with a Thai speaking person to the True shop near your location, cancel you ADSL line, and directly fill in a new subscription form, with a bit of luck you online in less then 8 hours.

You get with this action a brand new ADSL modem, with telephonic support from the True help-desk, what more can you want.

Go with a Thai speaking person to the True shop near your location, cancel you ADSL line, and directly fill in a new subscription form, with a bit of luck you online in less then 8 hours.

You get with this action a brand new ADSL modem, with telephonic support from the True help-desk, what more can you want.

A wifi and not having to talk to them ( true )

The original modem they give me, was half as good as the one I bought !

Few people here said : buy your own and I believe this principal is true with TRUE