Obtaining a Thai Credit Card

8 hours ago, Robin said:

1 - Are there any Thai CREDIT cards. 
2- Everything I have been offered (by Kasikorn) has been a debit card, with a low, but unspecified limit and limited use for on-line transactions, and no hope of a monthly statement, except for withdrawals from my account showing in my bank book. 

3 - Try using any credit card in Thailand without being charged the 3% the retailer might have to pay.  (Thailand 4.0?)

1 - Yes, there are numerous Thai Credit Cards, as a retiree I've had one for years, no deposit either.

2 - You can alter your spending limit via the K+ App, when I purchased a smart phone recently and later when I made an International Transfer, both transactions were initially declined as they were in excess of my limit. I'd forgotten this and altered my limit on the K+ App, I tried again and they were both approved.

3 - I've never ever been asked to pay 3%, or any charge, by a retailer to use my Thai or UK Credit Card here in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

1 - Yes, there are numerous Thai Credit Cards, as a retiree I've had one for years, no deposit either.

2 - You can alter your spending limit via the K+ App, when I purchased a smart phone recently and later when I made an International Transfer, both transactions were initially declined as they were in excess of my limit. I'd forgotten this and altered my limit on the K+ App, I tried again and they were both approved.

3 - I've never ever been asked to pay 3%, or any charge, by a retailer to use my Thai or UK Credit Card here in Thailand.

2) good point I'd forgotten that. 3) the charge is hidden is the cost being processed, the bank is the one that charges it

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Of course, I have REAL (no $$$ tied up) credit cards from Citi, AmEx and SCB. All want you to be working (but see JAS21's post above) and have at least 6 months left on your WP.

The OP is on a retirement extension.

8 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The OP is on a retirement extension.

In which case JAS21's post is where he should look.

But I was responding to Robin whose question mentioned nothing about visa status, just whether Thailand has actual credit cards, which of couse it does.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

2) good point I'd forgotten that. 3) the charge is hidden is the cost being processed, the bank is the one that charges it

Almost all banks have a savings criteria for getting a real credit card (No collateral)

For Thais its 1 Mill THB, for Non Thais its 2 Mill THB.

This is only show money, 2 mill thb have to be seasoned for at least 12 months, you get a limit of 10% of your deposit, so thb 200,000/-

I got a SCB cr card with this criteria.

Rules here -

Applicant age

Primary Card : 20 - 80 years old

Supplementary Card : 15 years

Thai applicants must have a savings and/or fixed deposit of
1,000,000 baht for at least 6 months

Foreign applicants must have a fixed deposit and/or a savings account
of 2,000,000 baht for at least 12 months

Applicants must state their occupation: Butler/housekeeper

Edited by DrJoy

I have had Amex Platinum for 4/5 years now. Absolutely no problem getting one and no Work Permit needed. They have been very helpful when trying to get money refunded from Airlines. Last week I used mine to book some flights and went over my limit-I called them and immediately they extended my credit. These cards are being much more widely accepted now and no % charge for using one.

Highly recommended.

I have a credit card from Bangkok Bank!
Normally you have to have a work permit for a credit card!
But there is another way!
I have created a FIX account, which is blocked for the credit card!
The amount is not fixed. There can be 100.000.-THB or also 1.000.000.-THB on this account!
Also, I can increase my card limit at any time and also with the app. On my smartphone!
To do this, I transfer online my desired amount from my savings account to the Fix account....
So very simple, in my opinion!
The purchases made with the credit card will then be charged to the savings account approx.30 days!!!
That is, the Fix account is NEVER debited, but only serves as security for the bank!
The expenses also immediately appear on the smartphone and you also get a
detailed list of expenses in writing by post! 
So I find that just for expats / retirees in Thailand a very good solution, because this credit card is also usable worldwide!

9 hours ago, Robin said:

Are there any Thai CREDIT cards. 

Yes, I have one from K Bank and one from BKK bank.

I also have an Amex credit card issued by american Express Thailand.

All 3 cards have limits which are 5 x my salary.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What UK credit card do you have? I have Clarity, it's about the best one but I don't send to Thailand, I haven't tried, instead someone takes a photo of it and messages me, of course no use when travelling which is the problem

I too have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. I have received renewed cards when living in Paraguay (the post office official was amazed that it hadn't been stolen en-route) and also in Thailand, both sent by ordinary unregistered/unrecorded post. However, renewed Debit Cards get intercepted after printing and sent to my home branch which destroys them after a certain time, hence I never receive them. Customer Services have told me twice that I shouldn't be receiving renewed Clarity Credit Cards either, suggesting that they must have 'slipped the net'.  

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Yes, I have one from K Bank and one from BKK bank.

I also have an Amex credit card issued by american Express Thailand.

All 3 cards have limits which are 5 x my salary.

Same same. 

It is possible to have a credit card 

I've got a credit card from KTC signature since 2012 and a Manchester United krungsri Platinum Credit card since 2016.

Both cards have limits which are 5 x my salary which is the maximum amount as a foreign allowed. 

Every few years when my salary increases I submit my new payslip and then the bank adjusts my credit card limit to the 5x.

Never had to pay any fees when use, no annual fees and the most important I pay the full amount due every month. 

Both cards minimum salary of 50,000 thb per month. 

With the krungsri Manchester United Platinum credit card you get extra rewards, cash back, triple points etc so it's been a win win situation for me. 

And yes I still have my commonwealth bank of Australia Platinum credit card (with annual fee) that I hardly use, but the limit it's too good to give it up. 

Edited by walailak
????????

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Of course, I have REAL (no $$$ tied up) credit cards from Citi, AmEx and SCB. All want you to be working (but see JAS21's post above) and have at least 6 months left on your WP.

Does having a "girlfriend" qualifies as work? It is hard work.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Almost all banks have a savings criteria for getting a real credit card (No collateral)

This is only show money, 2 mill thb have to be seasoned for at least 12 months, you get a limit of 10% of your deposit, so thb 200,000/-

I got a SCB cr card with this criteria.

Rules here -

Applicant age

Primary Card : 20 - 80 years old

Supplementary Card : 15 years

Thai applicants must have a savings and/or fixed deposit of
1,000,000 baht for at least 6 months

Foreign applicants must have a fixed deposit and/or a savings account
of 2,000,000 baht for at least 12 months

Applicants must state their occupation: Butler/housekeeper

Does former "secret agent MI5" count?

Now, mainly working undercover in soi 6 bars.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Was not the case for me.

Have had my K Bank one for approx 15 yrs - zero savings required.

My BKK Bank one for 3 years - Zero savings required... infact I had not yet received my first payslip when it was approved.

My amex - 2 yrs, not sure if savings required or not but I did have  a reasonable amount in my BKK Bank savings account when I applied for it.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's part of the problem the cheaper phones circ 7k don't seem to have NFC, mu Xiaomi Redmi Note doesn't 

Just a thought. 

I was working in Mexico 2019, the night before my flight back to Thailand I popped into the service station and bought a 6pack of Corona's, just for a laugh I pulled out my Bangkok Bank debit card, to my surprise it worked, just needed my PIN. 

A Thai debit card may do what you want.

Screenshot_2022-05-28-16-09-51-53_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I decided not to bother as Kasikorn debit card should work ok in UK once you inform them where and when you're going 

I can confirm it will work - well most of the time.  Just make sure that all your card settings are as you require - that can only be done at a Thai ATM.  Sorry, I can't remember what those settings are - that will be clearer at the ATM.  If there's an English speaker at your branch, ask for their help - I seem to remember having some probelm or other that was not clear using English language at the ATM but was quickly sorted by a staff member after switching to Thai.

When I say 'most of the time - I've used my Kasikorn card a few times in the UK usually for online purchases but also at ATM's.  It was refused once at an ATM without reason but worked both before and after that event.  The main problems I've had are when I've tried using the card over the phone.  For example, I tried using it to pay for a flight with Etihad over the phone and it was refused but accepted when switching to online booking.  I had enabled the correct settings but both the bank and Etihad blamed each other for the problem.

As a back up, I would set up a Dee Money or similar account before leaving Thailand. There is no way on this planet that Kasikorn will make changes/sort problems whilst your abroad.  I had to go to my branch just to change my e-mail address.  If things go wrong with your card and you have Dee Money and internet banking on your Kasikorn, you will at least be able to transfer some cash to your UK account (assuming you still have one).

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I can confirm it will work - well most of the time.  Just make sure that all your card settings are as you require - that can only be done at a Thai ATM.  Sorry, I can't remember what those settings are - that will be clearer at the ATM.  If there's an English speaker at your branch, ask for their help - I seem to remember having some probelm or other that was not clear using English language at the ATM but was quickly sorted by a staff member after switching to Thai.

When I say 'most of the time - I've used my Kasikorn card a few times in the UK usually for online purchases but also at ATM's.  It was refused once at an ATM without reason but worked both before and after that event.  The main problems I've had are when I've tried using the card over the phone.  For example, I tried using it to pay for a flight with Etihad over the phone and it was refused but accepted when switching to online booking.  I had enabled the correct settings but both the bank and Etihad blamed each other for the problem.

As a back up, I would set up a Dee Money or similar account before leaving Thailand. There is no way on this planet that Kasikorn will make changes/sort problems whilst your abroad.  I had to go to my branch just to change my e-mail address.  If things go wrong with your card and you have Dee Money and internet banking on your Kasikorn, you will at least be able to transfer some cash to your UK account (assuming you still have one).

Most helpful thank you!

Do any Thai cc's offer cash/points bonuses for opening the account?

Do any cards rebate a minimum of 1% for all purchases, plus multiple points for specific categories?

Not just on a few specific days - e.g. the days Man. U. is playing - but on all days?

This is standard with US cc's but doesn't seem to have reached SEA.

Edited by JimmyJ

My Kasikorn credit card is a secured card. The credit limit depends on and is backed by an interest-bearing fixed deposit account. The account acts as a collateral so effectively it is a glorified debit card. I have the Elite visa so getting an unsecured credit card is impossible. 

I also have a credit card with ABA Bank in Cambodia. It is also a secured card.

My only "true" credit cards (with credit lines based on my credit score) are from a German bank.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:33 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

They are afraid that you do a runner. What's the point of keeping the money in an account for a 'credit' card, as it is then, effectively, a debit card?

I just used my K-Bank debit card to book an international flight online. No problems.

Can you rent a car or book a hotel with your K-Bank debit card ?

On 5/28/2022 at 8:07 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I do have also but Kasikorn doesn't offer these cards to the general public, conditions apply. 

Many years  ago I applied for a Safety Deposit Box within their branch at Pattaya. 

I was forced to apply for a Wisdom Credit card, then I was offered the safety deposit box. 

I had a Platinum card with Kasikorn and at the time, I canceled my Platinum credit card.

At the moment I have a Premier Visa card and a Wisdom Credit card with Kasikorn Bank. 

Yes, conditions such as 

Primary Card Applicant

• 20 - 80 years of age.
  • Deposit / invest at least 10 million baht for an average of 6 months or according to the conditions set by the bank.

My MC Black has all of the same features and so does my Amex Centurion Black, with an added savings account now paying .065% if you wNt it.  Plus they also have no fees....

Edited by ThailandRyan

17 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Haven't tried it yet. Hotel booking most probably, but don't know about car rental. 

Hotel bookings work  and so does scanning your payment app for your account to pay the bill if you choose. Rented a car in Udon after flying in for a quick one day trip and reserved by my K-Bank debit card.  Paid the counter by scanning g the payment upon arrival and taking receipt of the car.  Tried using the card in the US but they wanted to charge a fee for its use.

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Do any Thai cc's offer cash/points bonuses for opening the account?

Do any cards rebate a minimum of 1% for all purchases, plus multiple points for specific categories?

Not just on a few specific days - e.g. the days Man. U. is playing - but on all days?

This is standard with US cc's but doesn't seem to have reached SEA.

Only if your Thai will you be able to obtain those types of cards from what I have seen.

Edited by ThailandRyan

I have a conventional 'credit card' with a Thai Bank, which I obtained about 6 years ago a few months after I stopped having a work permit. I had held accounts with the bank for about 15 years at the time and was often asked if I wanted a credit card by the staff.

Many years prior to the above I obtained an AMEX Platinum Card in Thailand with  the limit being based on the normal multiple of salary. In December last year I was asked if I wanted to increase the limit on the AMEX Card by 60%, so I said yes and signed a document. No questions were asked.

I always pay the complete balance on both every month.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:28 AM, Crossy said:

In my experience if you are issued with a Thai credit card when holding a WP, it will not be cancelled once one has retired.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 8:02 PM, jayboy said:

In my experience if you are issued with a Thai credit card when holding a WP, it will not be cancelled once one has retired.

Yes. I have 2 Credit Cards with Bangkok Bank and 1 Amex Gold. All are real Credit Cards (I mean with monthly statments, no money tight in a bank account for it).

I got the first Bangkok Bank and Amex when i was under WP in 2000. I stopped work in Thailand in 2002 and been under various type of visa since (working outside Thailand) but kept getting my Credit Cards renew automaticaly until now. 

Bangkok Bank even give me a 2nd Credit Card in 2016. I got the Amex directly from AMEX Thailand, not through the bank.

I believe it is at the discretion of the banks, depending of your financial situation. As long as you pay your statments...

• Thanks 1