Obtaining a Thai Credit Card

I checked with my 3 banks today whether I could get a credit card, I was only going to get it as back up as I was thinking of going to UK, anyway all said yes (with retirement extension).

Krungsri - need 2m bank balance

Kasikorn - balance match minimum 40k

Bangkok Bank - balance match minimum 20k

Receiving card takes 3-4 weeks, Bangkok Bank said card cost 599 baht.

I decided not to bother as Kasikorn debit card should work ok in UK once you inform them where and when you're going 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's interesting. Last year when the postal service in Thailand didn't seem able to deliver me a replacement UK credit card, I started to despair of ever getting one and enquired with Bangkok Bank, where I keep well above the 800k required for my retirement extension. They said I would need a credit balance of at least 1 million Baht, they would refer my request to Head Office and get back to me. They never did, and I didn't pursue it because I finally managed to arrange for collection of the UK card from an HSBC branch and delivery here by DHL.

I would be interested to learn how you get on in UK with a Kasikorn debit card. I also have one, but don't intend to use it there because I also have a UK debit card.

22 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

That's interesting. Last year when the postal service in Thailand didn't seem able to deliver me a replacement UK credit card, I started to despair of ever getting one and enquired with Bangkok Bank, where I keep well above the 800k required for my retirement extension. They said I would need a credit balance of at least 1 million Baht, they would refer my request to Head Office and get back to me. They never did, and I didn't pursue it because I finally managed to arrange for collection of the UK card from an HSBC branch and delivery here by DHL.

I would be interested to learn how you get on in UK with a Kasikorn debit card. I also have one, but don't intend to use it there because I also have a UK debit card.

Maybe with these banks it depends if it's a farang friendly branch, Krungsris 2m requirement seemed a bit steep, my least favourite bank of the three

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

England  ATM and Bank cards have  4 digit thais have six- how will that work?

You need one or two reliable  card as many places  don't take  cash.

What is the issue problem with 20/40 k minimum  balance? What exactly  does  that mean.

Can you use  you Wise  card?

• Confused 1

They are afraid that you do a runner. What's the point of keeping the money in an account for a 'credit' card, as it is then, effectively, a debit card?

I just used my K-Bank debit card to book an international flight online. No problems.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It would of just been backup for small purchases if cash wasn't accepted

A lot of place where I live in London still don't take cash(pubs/restaurants) - so you'll need some sort of cashless payment method

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

A lot of place where I live in London still do not take cash(pubs/restaurants) - so you need some sort of cashless payment.

Me too - I stopped taking cash out with me last  time I was in London  I paid by touch and go BC but others were using phone apps.  That's an option for the OP a phone app.

Edited by The Hammer2021

Maybe try Citi for a credit card. All I had to do was show that I had a bank account (any bank) that had at least a balance of 1M thb for the last six months.

They are not interested in the balance of that a/c anymore.

They gave me an initial limit of 160,000thb. I do pay the whole amount off every month.

I am on a Retirement extension.

I also have a BB credit card but as others say you need to lock away money in their account equal to your limit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What is the issue problem with 20/40 k minimum  balance? What exactly  does  that mean.

Dan what is confusing you?

A 4x digit pin code?

A Wise card?

A cash balance?

Why use  a 'confused ' emoji

Are there any Thai CREDIT cards.  Everything I have been offered (by Kasikorn) has been a debit card, with a low, but unspecified limit and limited use for on-line transactions, and no hope of a monthly statement, except for withdrawals from my account showing in my bank book.  K bank appears to be terrified that I might actually use the card to spend money.  I have to keep a UK Mastercard to use for on-line purchases, like air tickets.

NB Mastercard will not send credit cards to Thailand, not even by DHL.

One day will Thailand join the World financial system?

Try using any credit card in Thailand without being charged the 3% the retailer might have to pay.  (Thailand 4.0?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robin said:

Are there any Thai CREDIT cards.  Everything I have been offered (by Kasikorn) has been a debit card, with a low, but unspecified limit and limited use for on-line transactions, and no hope of a monthly statement, except for withdrawals from my account showing in my bank book.  K bank appears to be terrified that I might actually use the card to spend money.  I have to keep a UK Mastercard to use for on-line purchases, like air tickets.

Try using any credit card in Thailand without being charged the 3% the retailer might have to pay.  (Thailand 4.0?)

I've got a Wisdom Credit Card with Kasikorn, which is a visa card.

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I'm told that people who have used their Kasikorn visa debit card used the 6 digit PIN successfully in UK.

The 20\40k you have to keep that minimum amount in a separate account you can't touch then on credit card can spend 20\40k, so not really a credit card but a Thai credit card

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I just used my K-Bank debit card to book an international flight online. No problems.

To use for online purchases you have to register using an ATM which I did yesterday 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Robin said:

What UK credit card do you have? I have Clarity, it's about the best one but I don't send to Thailand, I haven't tried, instead someone takes a photo of it and messages me, of course no use when travelling which is the problem

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It would of just been backup for small purchases if cash wasn't accepted

Great idea 

In Oz many businesses not accepting cash, I'd say same in UK. 

Check if your phone has NFC, touch and go feature, good for small purchases. 

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I've got a Wisdom Credit Card with Kasikorn, which is a visa card.

Yes, I do have also but Kasikorn doesn't offer these cards to the general public, conditions apply. 

Many years  ago I applied for a Safety Deposit Box within their branch at Pattaya. 

I was forced to apply for a Wisdom Credit card, then I was offered the safety deposit box. 

I had a Platinum card with Kasikorn and at the time, I canceled my Platinum credit card.

At the moment I have a Premier Visa card and a Wisdom Credit card with Kasikorn Bank. 

18 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Great idea 

In Oz many businesses not accepting cash, I'd say same in UK. 

Check if your phone has NFC, touch and go feature, good for small purchases. 

That's part of the problem the cheaper phones circ 7k don't seem to have NFC, mu Xiaomi Redmi Note doesn't 

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I know the answer, since in a branch of HSBC in a small fishing town I asked the staff the same question: can I type in 6 digits? So  we all stood around the ATM to find out. They promised to retrieve my card if it got eaten.

It worked. No problems. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Robin said:

Are there any Thai CREDIT cards.

Of course, I have REAL (no $$$ tied up) credit cards from Citi, AmEx and SCB. All want you to be working (but see JAS21's post above) and have at least 6 months left on your WP.

I have a 100K (master) credit card--Bank Deposit box ...etc I find BKK Bank easy to deal in Issan-- but acknowledge Thailand differs a lot in  other areas.

The Credit card is more of a debit card, you have (what amount you want separate acc)  in the bank- then they ask you how would you like to replenish it, 3 months 6 months--I opted immediately. So yes I am using my money--but there are no fees as such, (someone mentioned 3%) I have never seen had charged to me. Its my money not the banks- Its useful, always had it accepted. The bank always pings your phone when you use it over (what ever amount you state)

I had my car in Honda work shop which is way out of the town, had been quote 10K to fix fuel pump , when I went to get it they showed me that my air con was becoming faulty-- I could take it but probably would be back there withing a month or 2 .  6K to replace with new part now--so go ahead no hiking it back to town or looking for the nearest ATM... so yer its useful --booking hotels air fares--car rental etc. 

I am using my money-- but the up side is  because of that , compared to My Oz CC fees are laughable.

For overseas I am also looking at the Wise CC  which as I understand it works the same as the Thai card--- you must have money in there to use it.

In 2020  when i went into the Bank to get  the letter needed for Immigration  to extend my 12 month Visa i asked what are the possibiliies of getting a  Credit card,  the lady smiled, and  changed the subject  to me  investing money into some bank project, i said im not interested in any project i would  just like to know if i can get a Credit card, she said i can, if i  invest some money into this project . .. i manage without a Credit card now

13 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I've had no problem using my Kasikorn Debit Card in the UK at an ATM or at a point of sale terminal, even using the six digit pin.

I also have a UK debit card, and that's what I had a problem with shortly after I arrived at Gatwick. I travelled by train to Brighton with the princely sum of five pounds in my pocket, with the intention of drawing cash from a Santander ATM, I thought I was being clever.

The machine wouldn't dispense any cash, and after two attempts I gave up for fear of having my card retained. I went to another atm and withdrew cash using my Kasikorn card, without a hitch.

A subsequent call to Santander revealed the machine was empty, there was nothing wrong with my card at all. In hindsight my plan was pretty foolish, on a number of levels.

• Like 2