Configure a new WiFi router and mail it to somebody.

Captain Monday

My caretaker is not a complete idiot but this person cannot configure a router. They can plug it in, and restart them modem and router in sequence.  Then input a WiFi password to their mobile or laptop.  Can I procure a new Wifi router and configure it myself, then ship it to them in a state they can just "plug and play". Normal ADSL connection in an apartment. Is this a crazy idea  something I am missing here? 

If what you are suggesting is that you are going to plug this router into the ADSL "modem" to provide the WiFi "in front" of that modem, then, yes, this should work okay. That assumes that the ADSL modem has a standard ethernet port and is able to support NAT for the downstream. If the modem also provides WiFi, then you will need to be careful to be sure the SSID of the router is not the same. You may also need to configure the new router to use a different network other than 192.168.1 (assuming that is the default network that the modem is using).

Edited by timendres

Yes I want to plug a Wifi router downstream of the ADSL modem.

The ADSL modem has all green lights when plugged in to the ADSL jack on the wall, and powered up. It has a standard ethernet port, no Wifi capability. 

You may also need to configure the new router to use a different network other than 192.168.1 (assuming that is the default network that the modem is using). 

No idea what this means

33 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

You may also need to configure the new router to use a different network other than 192.168.1 (assuming that is the default network that the modem is using). 

No idea what this means

Basically you want to avoid ip address conflicts inside your network. Assuming the current modem/router is already handling assigning ip addresses it's likely in the 192.168.1.x range - so as an example set the new router's internal lan ip to something like 192.168.2.1 and tell its dhcp to assign addresses in the 192.168.2.x range. So long as you don't mind the double NAT setup this makes it plug-and-play.