Indian tourist says he was physically assaulted by a group of security guards at a Walking Street disco in Pattaya

webfact

In the last week here in Pattaya I’ve noticed the Indian tourists seem to have a lack of respect for just about everyone else besides their fellow countrymen. Indians getting pummeled in Pattaya will be the new trend. Serious attitude on a lot of them.

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

A bunch of Thai goons, emboldened by their numbers, and along comes a mouthy foreigner.  Most of us have seen these guys in action so we know better. 

Cruising the streets at 3:30am?  hmmmm.....

The rental vehicle could have been a bike.

Would that be the same security goons who just kicked his _ss?  A large group of friends gathered up at 4am?  The rumble with the bunch of Indians would have been a sight, lets see how fast they run!

I know bloody fools. " I know  what lads put your flip flops on we going back to the club to confront the security guys again"

I know it was Indians but it  not about that you  don't do that.   I imagine if it happened to me and I'm banging on my mates hotel door they would of said yes ok we will catch you up. Make the report let the police sort it out .

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

A bunch of Thai goons, emboldened by their numbers, and along comes a mouthy foreigner.  Most of us have seen these guys in action so we know better. 

Cruising the streets at 3:30am?  hmmmm.....

The rental vehicle could have been a bike.

Would that be the same security goons who just kicked his _ss?  A large group of friends gathered up at 4am?  The rumble with the bunch of Indians would have been a sight, lets see how fast they run!

Yes, absolutely the fault of the Thai goons.  In any other country, a foreigner running his vehicle in to a crowd of locals at 3:30 in the morning and getting mouthy would have ended much differently. 

17 hours ago, LiamB80 said:

In the last week here in Pattaya I’ve noticed the Indian tourists seem to have a lack of respect for just about everyone else besides their fellow countrymen. Indians getting pummeled in Pattaya will be the new trend. Serious attitude on a lot of them.

Really? Never thought that of Indians.... they can be argumentative I agree. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Really? Never thought that of Indians.... they can be argumentative I agree. 

I worked it India a bit and I have also entertained a number of Indians here visiting our Thailand plant. I generally found them smart, hardworking, fun-loving and respectful. That said, to anyone they see on a somewhat lower socioeconomic scale they can often be pretty brutal. 

They are also great fun to eat with, but generally seem to have no interest in eating anything but Indian food.

• Like 1

Indian guy drove close to Thai's. but didn't hit anyone them. 

One of them showed off to his friends about how much he he hates farang / tourists. and thumbed / kicked the vehicle. 

It made a dent, or some other damage. 

The Indian guy wanted the Thai guy to  pay for the damage. 

Indian guy is out of pocket for the damage.  Tells Facebook in India, causing a lot of of negative social media. 

300 baht a day Thai guy has no consequences.

That's how the Thai tourism industry works, and they wonder why Thailand is falling out of favor.   ????

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

One of them showed off to his friends about how much he he hates farang / tourists. and thumbed / kicked the vehicle. 

Indian guy is out of pocket for the damage.  Tells Facebook in India, causing a lot of of negative social media. 

That's how the Thai tourism industry works, and they wonder why Thailand is falling out of favor.   ????

Yet Pattaya is becoming full with Indians so they don't care, girls starting to wear long dresses on beach road again

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Incorrect of course, last full year of tourism pre-covid, 2019,  Thailand had their highest number of tourists ever. 

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yet Pattaya is becoming full with Indians so they don't care, girls starting to wear long dresses on beach road again

After India and China, TAT can target African nations.  ???? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Just correcting your factual misrepresentation, don't want to derail the thread any further than you are.

I've always said, pre covid, the tourists numbers were up, but money was down.   Not to mention the money being repatriated back to China  by Thai nominee Chinese companies. 

Due to covid, it seems so long ago, but Pattaya wasn't doing so well pre covid.  Do you disagree? 

43 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I've always said, pre covid, the tourists numbers were up, but money was down.   Not to mention the money being repatriated back to China  by Thai nominee Chinese companies. 

Due to covid, it seems so long ago, but Pattaya wasn't doing so well pre covid.  Do you disagree? 

Off topic but last factual link on your tourist up, money down theory. In fact it's tourists up money up. No further comment.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/thailand/tourism-revenue

I'm sure there will be more relevant threads to come discussing the recovery or otherwise of tourist numbers where we can discuss further.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:42 AM, bbko said:

What is it with Indians in Pattaya making news headlines every few days?

Didn't they say that Indians are making up most of the tourists at the moment?  There have been reports of Thais assaulting other nationalities since tourism has started to return.  Perhaps there is a small minority of Thais who are either not happy to see tourists return or are looking to extract as much money from them as possible through theft.

45 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Off topic but last factual link on your tourist up, money down theory. In fact it's tourists up money up. No further comment.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/thailand/tourism-revenue

I'm sure there will be more relevant threads to come discussing the recovery or otherwise of tourist numbers where we can discuss further.

Doesn't your link tend to prove my point?

Revenue down from a lot of western countries, but total revenue up on the back of the Chinese, but a lot of those profits are repatriated back to China, so what good is it to Thailand, except for some minimum wage Thai's, and the agriculture sector? 

Of course there will be a recovery, but the Russians will not be back anytime soon, and it's up to the guys in Beijing when the Chinese can return, and who knows when that will be. 

Of more relevance to western expats and western tourists, if western revenue is down, will many businesses in Central Pattaya who cater to western tourists, be able to continue to operate?

To be fair, some western markets were up, but as examples, Germany down 22, and Italy down 20, isn't great.  What did Thailand do, or didn't do, to cause this?  

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Doesn't your link tend to prove my point?

Revenue down from a lot of western countries, but total revenue up on the back of the Chinese, but a lot of those profits are repatriated back to China, so what good is it to Thailand, except for some minimum wage Thai's, and the agriculture sector? 

Of course there will be a recovery, but the Russians will not be back anytime soon, and it's up to the guys in Beijing when the Chinese can return, and who knows when that will be. 

Of more relevance to western expats and western tourists, if western revenue is down, will many businesses in Central Pattaya who cater to western tourists, be able to continue to operate?

To be fair, some western markets were up, but as examples, Germany down 22, and Italy down 20, isn't great.  What did Thailand do, or didn't do, to cause this?  

You misread the data. The country data below the Thailand revenue growth chart are those countries own tourist figures, not their part in Thailand's tourist growth. 

Edited by kinyara

18 hours ago, kinyara said:

You misread the data. The country data below the Thailand revenue growth chart are those countries own tourist figures, not their part in Thailand's tourist growth. 

I don't think I misread the data. 

Take Germany for example, down 22.  If a German guy comes to Thailand and spends, say $5000USD on a 2 week holiday, but is no longer coming to Thailand as he is part of the "22" what TAT would have you believe is that they have replaced the lost German tourist, and the lost $5000USD, with ten Chinese who spend $500USD each on their holiday to Thailand, thus, the numbers are up, and the spend is the same, or up.

Whilst there might be some truth to this, it doesn't factor in zero baht tourism.  The German guy traveled independently, the Chinese travel on mass.  Their tours are bought and paid for in China, so straight away there are profits not even making it to Thailand. 

The Chinese tour companies own buses, boats, hotels, restaurants etc through Thai companies, using Thai nominees.  Thus, in country profits are also stripped out of Thailand and repatriated back to China. 

Staff in many of the Chinese company establishments very well may be from Burma, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam, so further money leaving the local economy as they send money home to take care of their family. 

A side issue with mass tourism is the pressure it puts on infrastructure, and the environment.  Eg.  more traffic on roads, more sewage in the ocean, more water and electric used etc.  All of this, for less money for Thailand. 

As I said in another post, the Chinese even set up a fake temple here to cart the Chinese tour groups to, so profits from purchases of amulets, donations etc, straight back to China. 

Of more relevance to western tourists and expats, with declining western tourist numbers, and I mean pre covid, Central Pattaya hospitality venues will struggle.  You don't see Chinese, Indians and Russians supporting such businesses, so it's an issue at the macro level, and the micro level in certain areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:43 AM, mikebell said:

Most Thais are xenophobic and racist.  These traits are exacerbated when the race is Indian.

I have never found the Thais to be like that. Mind you I dont hang around the bars so that could be why I never see it

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am no pacifist and I don't have an issue with Indian or any other nationality.

But in my experience with Thailand and especially Thai males and especially groups of Thai males it is a good idea to be nice to them. I.e. honking the horn and shouting at them to get the $#$@ out of the way is not a good start.

Just imagine you are in the jungle and meet a big gorilla, and imagine you could speak gorilla language, would you tell him to f#%# off? Probably not. Use the same logic in Thailand and all will be fine.

1200px-Gorille_des_plaines_de_l'ouest_%C

Sexy gorilla

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't think I misread the data. 

Again, the figure against each country is that country's total tourist revenue, the red or green arrow indicates whether it increased or decreased over the period in question. i.e Germany USD 22 billion is the size of their own tourist receipts, nothing to do with Thailand. If you scroll further down you will see the Thailand figure matching the 2019 figure on the rising revenue graph. 

For the record Western tourist numbers, my basis being Europe, (excluding Russia), USA, Canada, Australia + New Zealand :

2015 - 6.4m

2016 - 6.8m

2017 - 6.9m

2018 - 7.1m

2019 - 7.0m

Looks okay to me against a backdrop of a steady strengthening of the baht over the period. The 2 biggest markets in those figures USA + UK actually went up slightly in 2019 compared to 2018.

Apologies for off-topic re the Indian guys plight.

27 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Again, the figure against each country is that country's total tourist revenue, the red or green arrow indicates whether it increased or decreased over the period in question. i.e Germany USD 22 billion is the size of their own tourist receipts,

Yes, so down, yet total revenue is up, but a lot of that revenue is up on the back of the Chinese, who were by far the biggest demographic of tourists, and the vast majority were zero baht tourists, holidaying here in tour groups, arranged by Chinese tour companies, with the money being repatriated back to China. 

You chart shows numbers up and money up.  I'm suggesting a lot of that revenue, due the Chinese, goes back to China.

Once again, with the Russians not back any time soon, and who knows when the Chinese will be allowed out of China, there's interesting times ahead. 

It appears loss of tourism numbers, and revenue, may continue well after covid has finished.  In effect, Thailand is entering a new era for it's tourism industry, yet I doubt they will adjust. 

It will be interesting to see if they can lure back their traditional western markets, but they may be done with Thailand. 

That leaves the Indians, and getting back on topic, look how Thai security treated the Indian guy in this case. 

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Yes, so down, yet total revenue is up, but a lot of that revenue is up on the back of the Chinese, who were by far the biggest demographic of tourists, and the vast majority were zero baht tourists, holidaying here in tour groups, arranged by Chinese tour companies, with the money being repatriated back to China. 

You chart shows numbers up and money up.  I'm suggesting a lot of that revenue, due the Chinese, goes back to China.

Once again, with the Russians not back any time soon, and who knows when the Chinese will be allowed out of China, there's interesting times ahead. 

It appears loss of tourism numbers, and revenue, may continue well after covid has finished.  In effect, Thailand is entering a new era for it's tourism industry, yet I doubt they will adjust. 

It will be interesting to see if they can lure back their traditional western markets, but they may be done with Thailand. 

That leaves the Indians, and getting back on topic, look how Thai security treated the Indian guy in this case. 

The taxes stay in Thailand. 

When there is a relevant thread when the Chinese return I'd like to see what factual statistical data you can produce to back up your narrative. By the way it is perfectly legal to repatriate profits to shareholders outside of Thailand, the company I worked for did so to their European parent company in the form of dividends, but there is a tax payable on such transactions.