Thai people not confident to remove their masks - better to wear them to protect yourself, Thai media

webfact

On 5/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, Dene16 said:

It continues to amaze me that people still don't know the risks of this nasty disease. 

Whilst it is true that for many it is no worse than catching a common cold and that more people will die of catching the common cold/pneumonia.

The simple fact is that over 80% of the deaths occur to people over the age of 65.

Even if you do not die, by merely catching the disease, it could do significant damage to organs within your body that will/could decrease your life expectancy significantly, hence why Covid deaths are recorded within 30 days of catching Covid.

Peoples bodies are already starting to breakdown at this age and this disease can advance this state very rapidly through the damage it causes to other organs

IMO for elderly people, at least for quite some years to come, this should be the new normal.

From what I think I know, most "elderly" people won't be around to give a toss in quite some years to come. I mean, we're born, we grow up, we grow old, then catch one of the thousands of nasty killer diseases... and we die. So if not COVID, it'll be something else equally as unpleasant.

Heck, your pessimistic realism must be infectious; you've got me staring into a glass half empty now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

Regardless. I am done wearing a mask. I will out of courtesy wear one in a crowded area but not out of fear of getting covid, but respect that others are scared to death of getting it.    

I think that is fine, sounds similar to my approach. I certainly do not wear one riding the motorcycle, nor in the truck (but have one handy for perhaps an opportune policeman), I took it off wandering soi Buakhao, I felt conscious wearing it (near none were there) and it was oppressive in the humidity. I donned one for the WIN taxi, driver had one and it seemed correct, no helmet though, go figure... and as I went into the mall. 

Their country, their rules, and I am a guest despite 15 years and not having left for over 2 of them. 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think that is fine, sounds similar to my approach.

I know my original post might have come across that I am not sensitive to the mask situation. I absolutely understood and supported the mask requirement when Covid initially took off and the few years after and wore one religiously. However we are at a different stage in this situation now and if you have been fully vaccinated there is really no need to wear a mask anymore.

For the people at risk or the ones not vaccinated those individuals need to consider the risks and probably should wear one for their own safety. But mandating that the entire population wear one at this point in really uncalled for. Like the Flu we are going to learn how to live with Covid and just like the Flu people will become ill and die from it. I know easily 20 people now that have contracted Covid after vaccinating. They all recovered just fine and life is back to normal.  

Time to move on.

15 hours ago, JAFO said:

and if you have been fully vaccinated there is really no need to wear a mask anymore.

But that is not true actually. You can still catch it and be contagious,  the vaccine makes the duration less and likelihood of serious symptoms very low. So you base your thoughts on a falsehood. It is not a binary result. 

I have the wife's elderly mother visiting at home, who has had the standard 2 vacs Thais got, but I still worry of 'bringing it home'....I have had the supposedly 3 'good 'uns...but there are still new cases and deaths being reported. 

Anyhow, we seem to be truly coming out of this and thank heavens.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You can still catch it and be contagious,  the vaccine makes the duration less and likelihood of serious symptoms very low. So you base your thoughts on a falsehood. It is not a binary result. 

Oh I am fully aware that even vaccinated you can contract it and be a carrier. But same with the flu. People get Flu shots and become ill and then spread it.  Witnessed that for years in the states. Ultimately my point being. It is likely if I contract it, I will not be knocked out and the duration will be short. People should get vaccinated to reduce the risk of them becoming deathly ill but to wear a mask forever isn't going to happen. If people remain concerned of contracting it, then by all means, wear a mask. ????

On 5/31/2022 at 1:49 PM, chalawaan said:

Someone had Covid in our Condo building and they sprayed the public areas with disinfectant, and took pictures, and made a big indaba about it in the Condo WeChat page. Ludacris. To be fair, they are a great management team. They have to go through with the usual Covid theatre to mollify the terrified locals who live there.

The chance of getting Covid off of fomite surfaces in 1 out of 10,000.
Spraying, like flimsy masks, accomplish nothing.

16 hours ago, connda said:

The chance of getting Covid off of fomite surfaces in 1 out of 10,000.
Spraying, like flimsy masks, accomplish nothing.

So if I touch one 10,000  times in the course of a week I am going to get sick? Where's the spray!

I start to see more and more people not wearing their masks anymore...But the media feed the need of mask wearing. They are in service of the Government instead of being independent and do a good research...People are getting bored of it you can see it on the streets... but are being brainwashed.. Let them decide for themselves to wear a mask or not.. Covid is as good as over with less than 3.000 cases a day.. and less deaths than in the traffic.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, Wiggy said:

If you’ve been jabbed at least twice with non-Chinese vaccines then there should be nothing to fear. (I’m not anti-Chinese, but just saying as they have proven to be fairly ineffective)

This is onnly a valid argument if you're willing to get boosters every 3-4 months, are you?

It's been proven many times 2-3 months is the effectivness of the vaccine(s).

48 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

This is onnly a valid argument if you're willing to get boosters every 3-4 months, are you?

It's been proven many times 2-3 months is the effectivness of the vaccine(s).

Most countries see no need for boosters at such short intervals. Covid now is akin to catching a cold. But if it were still a serious illness then, yes, I’d have a jab as often as necessary. Not only to protect myself, but others as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Most countries see no need for boosters at such short intervals. Covid now is akin to catching a cold. But if it were still a serious illness then, yes, I’d have a jab as often as necessary. Not only to protect myself, but others as well. 

And some countries require as many as 4 shots to enter.

If it's akin to catching a cold why bother with any? That's all it's ever been btw....

On 5/29/2022 at 7:51 PM, webfact said:

Thai media INN reported that Thais still felt a lack of confidence when it comes to removing their face masks. 

Oh big surprise there!

Given they have been spoon fed BS from the likes of "Anutin the cement worker" daily

Meanwhile rest of world is chugging along thanks

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Thai people not confident to remove their masks - better to wear them to protect yourself, Thai media

hate to disagree with the great wisdom of the thai media, and potentially highlight an error in their logic, but the consensus is that mask wearing is effective at preventing the spread of the virus and not preventing infection, therefore the benefits is to others, not oneself.

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

"Thai people not confident to remove"

is not English.

"Thai people are not confident about removing"

is correct English

Wouldn't "Thais are not confident about removing" be even better?

Using "Thai people" instead of "Thais" sounds kind of Tinglish to me.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 7:24 AM, jacko45k said:

So if I touch one 10,000  times in the course of a week I am going to get sick? Where's the spray!

That's not the way statistics work.  You would need to touch the same spot 10,000 times in one go, licking your fingers in-between each touch.  ????‍⚕️

10 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Wouldn't "Thais are not confident about removing" be even better?

Using "Thai people" instead of "Thais" sounds kind of Tinglish to me.

No. Just replace the nationality and though  it works either way there is no rule of grammar to confirm  what you suggest. Its a matter of choice, aspect and context. The construction  you suggest is not wrong but not better. Without consulting Michael Swan I would hazard a guess that your construction is slighly more informal, more spoken.

But my original correction is not subject to interpretation as it is very basic grammar.

35 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No. Just replace the nationality and though  it works either way there is no rule of grammar to confirm  what you suggest. Its a matter of choice, aspect and context. The construction  you suggest is not wrong but not better. Without consulting Michael Swan I would hazard a guess that your construction is slighly more informal, more spoken.

But my original correction is not subject to interpretation as it is very basic grammar.

I know both are grammatically correct; I wasn't trying to claim otherwise.

I simply prefer my suggestion in the same way that I prefer "Danes" to "Danish people" when referring to people of my home-country Denmark.

Not entirely on topic

I am vaxxed and had booster in Thailand

Now in UK where I will be for about 6 months

Basically covid is long forgotten here you hear nothing about boosters

SO in 6 months time i along many others will be out of vaccination

I am not vaguely concerned for my health but ln other hand for travel ??

SIMPLY QUESTION WHAT HAPPENS THEN

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

That's not the way statistics work.  You would need to touch the same spot 10,000 times in one go, licking your fingers in-between each touch.  ????‍⚕️

That doesn't make sense.....

16 hours ago, poohy said:

Not entirely on topic

I am vaxxed and had booster in Thailand

Now in UK where I will be for about 6 months

Basically covid is long forgotten here you hear nothing about boosters

SO in 6 months time i along many others will be out of vaccination

I am not vaguely concerned for my health but ln other hand for travel ??

SIMPLY QUESTION WHAT HAPPENS THEN

it may be long forgotten,but my daughter and her husband just caught it for the second time.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, blackshadow said:

what was the purpose of being jabbed......if now we still have to wear the stupid masks.....?????

If you are still asking that question after all this time and are not aware  of both the limitations and benefits of vaccinations and masks when properly worn no expanation  will satisfy  you.