Ever felt you’ve been cheated at a service station

First thing I will say that it is just a feeling rather than a fact. Earlier today I went to fill up with fuel, I always top up when my gauge reads half or just under and over the years with my car I’m pretty good at estimating the approx cost. Today I was expecting 800-900 baht at very most and I know the prices are rising but my Thai wife asking for 95 and fill tank and it seemed to fill quickly, too quickly and came to precisely 1000 baht. That last fact was what had me suspicious as most places I go to it usually ends x70 0r x90 with them hopefull you’ll give then the small bit as a tip. But precisely 1000 baht when filling my tank seems suspicious. Yes they could be totally correct but I probably won’t use that service station again. Anyone similar experiences?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No never have a problem just watch the pump. 

Exactly, it takes less than a minute to exit the car as you pay the attendant. Then you clearly see not only how much money, but also how many litres.  In 30+ years of driving here that never even occurred to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, poppysdad said:

But precisely 1000 baht when filling my tank seems suspicious.

They saw it was getting close to 1000 so they pressed another button and bingo 1000 baht. They do that with my scooter to get an exact 10. Ie 120 or 130 etc.

It annoys me because I want the tank full, not easy.

Edited by VocalNeal

I guess some people have never p

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sorry, but we'll need more than just your word for it to satisfy @Excel

I guess some people have never pumped their own petrol at a filling station.  To believe it no longer will pump after auto stop is pure ignorance of their working.

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

They saw it was getting close to 1000 so they pressed another button and bingo 1000 baht. They do that with my scooter to get an exact 10. Ie 120 or 130 etc.

It annoys me because I want the tank full, not easy.

Yes, I've seen the smarter dek pump quickly jab the keypad to set the pump stop at a monetary value rather than waste time with drip, dripping a request for a tem-tank.

1000 Baht is about 22 liters of 95.

How big is your tank?

Not unusual that they squeeze in to the next 100.

I rarely ask for "tem tang" (fill up) because I hate when they spill fuel.

Most always I say an amount like 800, 1000 or so depending on fuel gauge reading.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Presumably they press the target button to top it up to a round number if it clicks off at say 985 THB. Not unusual and i prefer it. Its easier.

Absolutely. I think 99% of the time as I ask for full that's what they do. Sometimes its easy and obviously not 100% full and other times they have to drip drip it until it gets to the required figure.