Amber Heard wants to appeal jury decision in favor of Johnny Depp

onthedarkside

Amber Heard’s Lawyer Says Actress Can’t Pay $10 Million Judgment To Johnny Depp

Topline

Amber Heard’s lawyer said Thursday the actress cannot afford to pay the roughly $10 million judgment she owes ex-husband Johnny Depp, after a Virginia court ruled Wednesday she defamed him in a 2018 op-ed she wrote about being a victim of domestic abuse.

(more)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2022/06/02/amber-heards-lawyer-says-actress-cant-pay-10-million-judgment-to-johnny-depp/

Forbes.jpg.d7242fe91770a712d4b199df28c1d975.jpg

If Depp really wants to get even with her, he should give the opportunity to write a full Op-Ed opinion retracting her allegations.  In return, her debt is forgiven.   At that point we can determine which means more to her, money or integrity.

By the way, who got the two dogs they snuck into Australia?   

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gaccha said:

No she doesn't.

Only questions of law and procedural issues are up for challenge in an appeal.

Her appeal is highly unlikely to succeed, except the screw up by the jury on writing in the damages might raise concerns. But  I give it no better than 5% chance of success.

Amber claims Depp bribed the jury and posted in part:

"I believe Johnny's attorneys succeeded in getting the jury to overlook the key issue of Freedom of Speech and ignore that we won in the UK."

Film Streak

Lying under oath is not freedom of speech and the UK case is irrelevant and not precedent in a US trial. In fact the UK case was a lawsuit by Depp against a UK newspaper and not personally against Amber. As such Depp's ability to present evidence and cross examine parties was very limited. Also note that the UK uses common law and the US uses case law. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, Bluespunk said:

Possibly she can pay it off in monthly payments.

If you defame someone don’t cry if you later have to face the consequences of your actions. 

Agreed, maybe her friend Elon Musk can help?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you couldn't care less, why bother commenting?

I don’t care who pays heard’s fines and would be done with this thread but for you quoting me.

I said my piece about how I feel about those who defame others.

I couldn’t care less about those specific individuals involved in the case.

• Sad 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, Bluespunk said:

Possibly she can pay it off in monthly payments.

If you defame someone don’t cry if you later have to face the consequences of your actions. 

It appears that possibly under Virginia state law, she can only file a chapter 11 that would allow a payment plan to pay for the $10 million judgement vs chapter 13 bankruptcy to evade the entire debt. In the case of malicious harm or intent in a tort such as required in  defamation, she cannot discharge the $10 million award. 

Under state law however it appears that Depp's award for punitive damages of $5 million is limited to $350,000.

If she wants to appeal, a law firm might ask how will she pay their legal fees? 

6 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm intrigued as to why most posters on this forum seem to side with Depp. Why is that?

If you have this curiosity, you can easily satisfy it yourself by watching at least a tiny part of the endless hours of depositions by JD, AH, and witnesses. You can easily find them on youtube.

A deeper question that I have, however, is: why on Earth did JD marry her? Ths is a textbook reminder to all men to remember to engage the brain in our skull and not only the one between our legs when dealing with women. With all due respect to (most) women.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, onthedarkside said:

Amber Heard’s attorney, appearing on NBC’s Today, said that her client “absolutely” wants to appeal

and I am sure said attorney has absolutely no financial interest in the matter.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A deeper question would be, why on earth would any man marry any woman?

There's nothing in marriage, at this point in time, that benefits a man.

Even if the relationship is bliss, in the USA, the combined incomes at tax time, puts you in a higher tax bracket.  No reason to get married in the western world.  Women do it to legally have access to your finances.

My 2 live ins, I purposely kept one of my rental units open, and no joint paperwork of any kind, so any claim of a 'civil partnership' would be denied, as at the time of those relationships, I was starting to acquire a bit of equity & stock holdings.  Mine mine mine, don't even think about it.

• Like 1

This may be a bit late but it provides substantial legal issues with the UK trial verdict on Depp vs a news media opined by a UK Barrsiter.

There (UK) the verdict went against Depp and the US attorney for Amber argues now that the UK verdict should have been considered as evidence in the US trial verdict.

Note that in the UK the jury is the trial judge (as in Thailand). A jury trial can be requested but it is for the trial judge to decide (unlike Thailand) and he rejected the request:

Some of points in the video: questionable independence of the UK trial judge, alleged lies made by Amber with regard to her illegal importation of 2 dogs into Australia, and alleged lies made to the US Homeland Security regarding a foreign"quest/friend" of Amber to live with her in the US during the her "visit."

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Technically she can appeal but whose going to put the bond ? She would have to raise around 6m to do that. She can't go bankrupt on the money she owes either.

The woman is ruined and broke.

Her next victim will probably be Musk and the leverage she has over him with the child.

Typically the bond is the amount of the judgement,  plus attorney fees for the appeal. So its not looking too good for her!

Plus where would she find any "good" attorneys now?

Edited by mikeymike100
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Srikcir said:

There (UK) the verdict went against Depp and the US attorney for Amber argues now that the UK verdict should have been considered as evidence in the US trial verdict.

IMHO This just demonstrates how inept Heard's attorneys are.

• Like 2