First time driving license, no driving test if you already have a US license ? And written test cannot be done online the first time, can you confirm ?

houla ! Please can you confirm as it's hard for any Thai to be clear when they explain anything.

First time driving license, no driving test if you already have a US license ?

And written test cannot be done online the first time, can you confirm ?

I already have US car license, so I just need to transfer it in Thailand.

I do not have a motorbike license, so I need to do the written test and driving test at the land department ?

Also, they told me that the first Thai licenses are only valid 2 years, not 5, is it correct ?

And the test that you can usually be done online, must be done at a driving center the first time you get a Thai driving license, so can I go to any driving school at Pattaya to get the QR code that confirms the past test ?

And do you know what school in Pattaya will give me the QR code and where I can take the lessons needed to get my motorcycle license ? (is it 5 hours?)

Thank you for your help.

• Haha 1

I would agree with the above, don't know about Pattaya schools though.....only fly in the ointment would be whether or not you need an international driving licence......to 'prove' your driving license is valid.

• Like 1

With your us driving license you should bring an valid international driving license, and in most cases because you have valid DL you do not need any test, except eye test, colour, brake

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

With your us driving license you should bring an valid international driving license, and in most cases because you have valid DL you do not need any test, except eye test, colour, brake

no, you do not need any international driving license

yes, but as I said if you do not have a motorbike license you need a driving test

it also seems that if someone pays a driving school, there is no test at all at the DLT, you just need to go to take a photo and get your license, but how stupid I would feel to give 15000 thb to a driving school where I am not even sure (or clearly know!) that they know what they are talking about.

For the written quizz it seems that only 1 school is accredited to give your QR code (that you cannot get online the first time you apply for a license), can you confirm ? I cannot find any other official school but the one pushed by the DLT.

It's funny that with so many posts about driving license NOBODY has NEVER been able to post here a complete and clear process and even some simple information as the ones I request. So i guess that not many of you know something, but I keep dreaming that anybody with useful information will appear (as I keep dreaming to win the lottery ???? )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ToyotaVigoThailand said:

no, you do not need any international driving license

yes, but as I said if you do not have a motorbike license you need a driving test

it also seems that if someone pays a driving school, there is no test at all at the DLT, you just need to go to take a photo and get your license, but how stupid I would feel to give 15000 thb to a driving school where I am not even sure (or clearly know!) that they know what they are talking about.

For the written quizz it seems that only 1 school is accredited to give your QR code (that you cannot get online the first time you apply for a license), can you confirm ? I cannot find any other official school but the one pushed by the DLT.

It's funny that with so many posts about driving license NOBODY has NEVER been able to post here a complete and clear process and even some simple information as the ones I request. So i guess that not many of you know something, but I keep dreaming that anybody with useful information will appear (as I keep dreaming to win the lottery ???? )

As for many topics in Thailand, your questions is not possible to answer with a clear process of how to do, or what to expect of necessary papers etc. 

I wrote with an international DP you should as it might be beneficial for you, not that it is a must, since every office, and every staff, see it different. As said an international DL might help you, and in some cases, without you have to do all the tests. Your choice. 

First time DP 2 years, and second time can depend on your visa 5 years. If on tourist visa or visa exemption you might only get two. I got two second time on tourist visa but he said I could come back and change when I got my retirement. Third time on retirement I got 5 years. 

one thing for sure in Thailand, you can not be to sure about anything. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ToyotaVigoThailand said:

but I keep dreaming that anybody with useful information will appear

go with the flow... I recently had to renew a DL that was over 2 years expired... people at the school told me incorrect things too... but they charged me very little after quoting me a much higher price - then they did very little - - then I had to take a multiple choice test at motor vehicle which was challenging as they provided no book to learn the answers from... so, go with the flow and it will all work out... good luck. 

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You know I was going to help till I read this......good luck

Thank you ! I miss your help so much ! I am sure that unlike most people posting here, you would have the real useful and important replies that everybody on this forum is waiting for ! We are so sad that you punished us by not posting your essential reply ! Thank you anyway to even give us a chance to understand what we miss !

• Haha 2

My old 5 year was out of date by 3 years, at the Pattaya test center ., I presented my UK full license and current International Driving permit

This was just for motorbike

They made me take the 50 question multiple test and driving skill, the test is not easy you have to get 45 right, it's all done on a PC in a classroom

I ended up with a new 5-year license, but it's dated 2012 to 2028, so it was a renewal after all, I did not get that bit

I would recommend going to the Ban Saray driving school, it's not that expensive, around B1000 someone told me. You do the tests there

2 hours ago, ToyotaVigoThailand said:

I speak Thai, but what do you want to teach me ? that these people are not able to express any clear idea or give any clear explanation ? Thank you, I know already, and certainly a lot better than you.

As with anything, its all who you interact with. Pity you have had this experience. Maybe lift yourself up a bit. In reality I dont think you have even experienced real Thai's. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, ToyotaVigoThailand said:
On 6/3/2022 at 12:39 PM, marin said:

So you speak Thai?

yes avenger, I speak Thai, but what do you want to teach me ? that these people are not able to express any clear idea or give any clear explanation ? Thank you, I know already, and certainly a lot better than you.

Long ago, I found it perfectly acceptable to admit that my comprehension of spoken Thai was not as good as my limited spoken Thai. This helps me appreciate that the locals probably have a better handle on the ins and outs of managing their life than I will ever have but it also helps to be humble. It can be really tough for some people when they don't get the answers they want but it's a lot worse when they don't like the answers they get.

Having said that, my American friend was recently in the exact same situation as the OP but we managed to resolve it by ourselves.

Edited by NanLaew