The non-stop flip flopping on mask mandates is hurting tourism

webfact

4 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I can't get to worked up about wearing a face mask as some people do

There are more important  things to worry about ie Thais putting food on the table having a job could go on 

Has your subscription to Outrage Weekly expired? ????

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You have been here a long time, you know the score - if they sense control slipping through their greasy fingers...

As ever, the last resort:

"With a magazine of 30 rounds, load!"

"With a magazine of 30 rounds, load!"

It ha been many years since I last heard those words.

• Haha 1

I don’t think this is going to get better for a long time while they have an emergency degree under their belt to control the masses. There must be a reason or interest that they are drawing this out. Most countries are moving on and people are starting to live a normal life while in Thailand tourism is dead.  

My grandson had their honeymoon booked in Phuket-Bangkok and has just now canceled. Not with the restrictions. 

• Like 2

"The non-stop flip flopping on mask mandates is hurting tourism"

This is an assertion but with what evidence?

Masks haven't hurt tourism in other countries. What is hurting tourism in Thailand is probably early closing of bars and insurance  requirements/ Thai pass etc.

Masks  on public transport and other areas are acceptable  to many people and still required in holiday hotshots in Europe.  Many foreigners who do object to  Masks ignore  the requirements  here anyway

Partial  use of Masks is here to stay. Its a minor  issue for all but a few right  wingers who are concomitantly anti fluoride, pro life, pro gun because the anti mask issue is an American concern NOT an Asian issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Had anyone here been fined for not wearing a mask? 

Yes!  The PM was fined!

Prime Minister Prayut was fined 6,000 baht for failing to wear a face mask during a meeting with his vaccine procurement advisers.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is Thailand, just ignore rules if you want to fit in. 

Real words of wisdom, from a teacher non the less... I would love to see your classroom management if this is your life philosophy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

This is Thailand, just ignore rules if you want to fit in. 

Seems that Thai people are happy to wear maskes. At 10pm, on top of a hill, in Chaloem Prakiat Park, I see Thais fully masked (tight around the nose). They are sitting alone in an isolated area, far from other people. This amazes me. 

Also, many would rather wear face mask on motorcycles than helmets.

Edited by JensenZ

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The wearing of masks is not the only thing, what about the stupid Thai pass, insurance scams?

They are confident that no matter what, tourists are still going to come.

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

Yes!  The PM was fined!

Prime Minister Prayut was fined 6,000 baht for failing to wear a face mask during a meeting with his vaccine procurement advisers.

Taxpayers were fined. It was a publicity stunt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Taxpayers were fined. It was a publicity stunt

Please explain or give some background/facts to your comment!

PS;  I do NOT support this PM on anything!

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

Charlie - they have absolutely no clue what they are doing - they have been stuffing huge money into their pockets these last 2 years they will come up with any nonsense to keep it going - I hope that some day Thailand will have leaders with a collective IQ above my age and that the Thai people will actually understand what a bad deal they are getting and remove these goons from office - surely they must have realised by now,  they need to realise that they have the power 

And you are 59? Then there is hope.

8 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Almost certainly a large part of it.

When the whole Covid farrago started, the import and supply of masks was controlled by a cartel of well connected and deeply influential people, some of whom wore uniforms of various hues. A scandal which was quickly and efficiently glossed over. It is certainly probable that those same people of influence also control the domestic production of masks.

I think that those people make more on tourism.

6 hours ago, Hans Johnson said:

Most countries are moving on and people are starting to live a normal life

I do agree but i think that the western world will be hit back into new Covid insanity at the end of the year when the flu season arrives. This Political toy is way to good to just let go.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The flipflopping makes everything uncertain in THailand... That is sure why there are many tourists choose other destinations.. What today is ok tomorrow could be different..Even for expats living here .You can leave the country but they never know what to do to come back, because rules ar changing every day

Not siding, but to be fair it has been the case in quite a few countries , if not all, not to mention Australia, New Zealand, France ....

11 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

It's not just Thailand, the silly Democrat Party boobs who run Alameda County (Oakland/Berkeley) in California have re-instituted indoor mask mandates due to a rise in Covid-19 infections. Governments never want to give up control...it has to be taken from them.

An indoor mask mandate returns to Alameda County, Calif., home to Oakland. https://nyti.ms/3ma8zcb

Alameda county overreacting.  The other 8 counties are not going to follow suit at least I hope not. Summer is coming,  people want to enjoy this summer for the first  time since 2019 without any restrictions and definitely no masks especially in the hottest months. I think Alameda will reconsider as we get into the summer months. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Alameda-County-is-reinstating-mask-mandates-Will-17218627.php

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They are confident that no matter what, tourists are still going to come.

Yes, they are that stupid, they are only soldiers with a normal soldiers intelligence and a low Thai IQ.

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Also, many would rather wear face mask on motorcycles than helmets.

There's a reason for that:- it's all to do with values.

In Thailand, people prioritize helping the community, unlike the Westerners(especially those from the USA) who prioritize personal freedom. So it's simply a cultural difference. Thais want freedom in things that don't cause danger to others but not in things like spreading disease. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, DezLez said:

Yes!  The PM was fined!

Is he here?

This was of course a PR stunt. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thais want freedom in things that don't cause danger to others

Like the way they drive their cars? I've been running into these claims of asian communal values and consideration of others' well-being, but if those ideals exist, then how do we explain the way they drive? I just assume every car is trying to kill me, I'd be stupid not to. So do you explain it by low IQ, or how?

• Like 1

I am not going to Thailand before life is back to normal, including the masks are gone (at least mandates). Simple as that. At most I can make a brief stop to see my friends there but no way I am going to walk around in heat and humidity with that thing, even if I occasionally used a mass pre covid outdoors against pollution but that was voluntary. It was still very uncomfortable anyway and I could still take it off indoors. Also masks have a dehumanizing effect and make people look like robots. It is depressing. All in all, Thais can wear masks ad infinitum but I have no desire to participate. It is simply not good value in that case while there are better options available. You can explain all your value systems and effectiveness as much as you like but I don't care.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Only diseased foreigners have to have it, and the authorities have instructed all airlines to not allow such filth onto their flights without it.

From India.......

19 hours ago, Hans Johnson said:

There must be a reason or interest that they are drawing this out.

very simple answer to that - "money" stemming from total control

how do they get away with it - zero accountability and rules written to protect themselves and every one of them has their hands in the cookie jar including senior government medical advisors - anyone that speaks out is silenced

• Like 1