Air Force To Arm F-35 Fighters With Its Own Weapon Systems

webfact

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

In another career, I used to design guided weapon microwave guidance systems.  Thailand has almost zero capability in this sector.  I'll withhold further comments because it will lead to a suspension by the mods!!

Not nuclear scientist (at least!) ?

hahahahahahaha

7 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Does it really matter what weapons you put in the F-35's if you only have two jets?

Yes if your weapons systems are much better than your rivals but Thailand does not have the capability of putting Advanced Weapons systems into those fighters. Below example The Russian Su-57 is comparible to the Chinese J-20 Dragon

The Russian/Chinese planes are bigger ,faster, and can climb higher  but the weapons systems are not considered equal to US F-35. Thailand cannot just install 50 cal machine guns on them or advanced missiles without a superior guidence system to target other aircraft.

Edited by Tony125

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

US Navy I believe uses the B/C without guns. It's a matter of lighter weight

US Navy and USMC always have a different varient from the USAF; reason is for Aircraft Carrier deployment.  The inclusion of a tail hook, "beefier" landing gear, foldable wings, among other things.

13 hours ago, smedly said:

let me interpret that

The US is not willing to sell Thailand an F35 - they can have a replica which might look like an F35 sort of - in shape only, I would be very skeptical that they would even get that, there is absolutely no way the US would supply technology like that to Thailand ..................... dream on

They got some from the Chinese or maybe lots of unused weapons as Songkran was cancelled a few times now.

Edited by RafPinto

I heard they already have a contract with China for state of the art finer jets!  But, it doesn't have an engine.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Not only that they bought a load of IED Detector Devices, which proved in the end to be a big scam!  I think this statement needs to be thoroughly investigated for transparency.  Personally I don't believe it.

They paid a billion Baht for novelty golf ball finders sold in British tabloid newspapers for 300thb each. 

No Thai ever punished for the procurement as far as I am aware. The English guy that sold them was jailed in the UK. 

Current PM, then as Army chief said they worked and kept using them in the South against insurgents, many of whom were innocent but locked up due to these fraudulent devices. 

image.png.eca9d13dcd808ede4a478977dd2e9445.png

8 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Yes if your weapons systems are much better than your rivals but Thailand does not have the capability of putting Advanced Weapons systems into those fighters. Below example The Russian Su-57 is comparible to the Chinese J-20 Dragon

The Russian/Chinese planes are bigger ,faster, and can climb higher  but the weapons systems are not considered equal to US F-35. Thailand cannot just install 50 cal machine guns on them or advanced missiles without a superior guidence system to target other aircraft.

Correct. The F-35 is not made to engage in dogfights, but it will have a kill ratio of 25 to 1 due to its weapons systems being so advanced. It will also be able to control squadrons of drones, which will give it a further advantage over rivals. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No reference anywhere to the weapons system being "home made"...except from you, of course.   

Good morning LL

The title reads Air Force To Arm F-35 Fighters With Its Own Weapon Systems

In most languages "with its own" usually implies "with its own" not someone else's

That aside even if they did purchase a separate weapon system built by another

you actually think they could integrate it into one of, if not the most technically sophisticated

jet fighters in the sky? (rhetorical question no need for reply) We already know the answer

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:35 PM, smedly said:

let me interpret that

The US is not willing to sell Thailand an F35 - they can have a replica which might look like an F35 sort of - in shape only, I would be very skeptical that they would even get that, there is absolutely no way the US would supply technology like that to Thailand ..................... dream on

A bit like the genuine Samsung phone I bought for 3,000THB at MBK.

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There is also a great deal to distinguish them, most notably that the F-35 is a fifth generation fighter while the Gripen E is a modernisation of the fourth generation Gripen and is considered a ‘4+ generation’ design. Where the F-35 was developed under the world’s largest weapons program, and it is expected that over 2000 will be built despite possible deep cuts, the Gripen E is unlikely to see more than 200 airframes built with limited orders from the Swedish Air Force and only one success on export markets. 

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/swedens-lightweight-gripene-vs-americas-stealthy-f35a-pros-cons

I don´t think Sweden would sell anymore Gripen to Thailand. The biggest difference between the 4th och the 5th generation fighters is the stealth capability. The Gripens design give it a very low radar profile so it was not considered necessary to redesign the plane for this, since stealth design also have disadvantages.
Most tests give Gripen capabilities better than updated F16. In simulations it´s a match for F 35, mainly because of maneuveribility and weaponsystem. It´s designed to take down the newest russian fighters and do so in simulations. The Gripens now used by the Thais don´t have much resemblance to the new updated version.
Gripen usually end up as number two in biddings because purchasing military aircrafts is so much more than aircraft capabilities. It´s politics, and you can´t beat a global superpower in that. Still Gripen has been sold to countries like Brazil, Hungary, South Africa, Thailand etc.

It´s very much capable technology for the buck and you can buy more of them and fly more hours on the same budget then for example F 35. And if you would encounter two Gripen any other military aircraft made today would be toast.

10 hours ago, mania said:

The title reads Air Force To Arm F-35 Fighters With Its Own Weapon Systems

In most languages "with its own" usually implies "with its own" not someone else's

Yes , not the US's!   The part that you conveniently omitted stated that their weapons system will be procured...if Thailand was designing/making it's own it would not be procuring a system!

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:16 PM, connda said:

Should have gone for the Sukhois.  More bang for the buck.
F35?  Most expensive fighter on the planet?  What does Thailand need with the stealth tech of that plane.

It does make it harder for your wife to track you if you take your mia noi on a joy ride.