Afternoon drinkers...............

thaiflyer1

Can someone put me right...............

I don't drink in the afternoon but have just arranged to meet a mate at 4.30pm Vickin's bar Jomtien and he informs me we will not get served before 5pm.....................in line with the 2pm-5pm supermarket/7-11 restrictions.................he says the manager has had the police in warning him not to serve before 5pm

I always thought bars/restaurants were ok to serve between 2-5pm as long as alcohol was consumed on the premises?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Meet at 5pm or meet at a normal place

We are meeting at 5pm..................enjoy Vickins bar , watch the world go by.

Reason it was 4.30pm was i have to meet someone else in Pattaya at 4pm..............so with a bit of travel time 4.30 would of been good

I guess by normal place you think the same as me, that service is allowed elsewhere

11 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

We are meeting at 5pm..................enjoy Vickins bar , watch the world go by.

Reason it was 4.30pm was i have to meet someone else in Pattaya at 4pm..............so with a bit of travel time 4.30 would of been good

I guess by normal place you think the same as me, that service is allowed elsewhere

AFAIK restaurants have always had to follow the same rules as the supermarkets etc. I recall being denied a cold beer with my meal at a chain restaurant in Hua Hin many moons ago because it was after 2pm.

I guess it doesn't get enforced or maybe the places that follow the rules aren't making a sufficient contribution to the RTP Benevolent Fund. 

IIRC Witherspoon's in Pattaya is one of those restaurant/bars that strictly follow the rules. maybe the gaffer has a moralistic streak?

• Like 2

I probably go to Pattaya for 30 days a year - never not been sold a beer between 2-5.  My favourite time to get out of the sun across the road from Areca Lodge.

I used to walk by Witherspoons or whatever it's called people were drinking at 9.

In Bangkok CBD where we live - never.

Note: This was pre covid

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I probably go to Pattaya for 30 days a year - never not been sold beer between 2-5. 

In Bangkok CBD where we live - never.

lucky you. nonetheless the alcohol sales restrictions also apply to restaurants.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Was that in bars that didn't follow any rules at all ?

Bars with prostitution and no licenses for anything ?

the bars you mention are the best bars. especially the ones here in Bangkok that stay open until sunrise or later. sanook mak! ????

Just now, Pmbkk said:

IDIOT - you should get out more !

You seem to only comment on others comments - and NEVER on the topic

ser, I think you're the one that needs to get out more. as I mentioned above, I recall being refused alcohol in a Hua Hin resto after 2pm. and it just popped into my head now, I was cut off at 2pm last December at Hops on Pattaya Beach Road by the brewmaster himself, God rest his soul. 

33 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its nothing to do with school kids .

Its a law to stop  ADULTS drinking all day .

Its a law to stop adults having a lunchtime  drink and then drinking all day long

You mean thai males

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Was that in bars that didn't follow any rules at all ?

Bars with prostitution and no licenses for anything ?

You really need to get out of your cave - there's a whole world out there !

Since I was 21 I could buy a beer in Thailand between those times - religious hols aside.

Edited by Pmbkk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pmbkk said:

You really need to get out of your cave - there's a whole world out there !

I have been to numerous bars where prostitution isn't available and they adhere to the numerous rules and regulations . but even those bars , sometimes they do ignore the rules 

43 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its a law to stop adults having a lunchtime  drink and then drinking all day long

I suppose the law of not selling any booze within a 100 meters of a school had nothing to do with kids as well?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, proton said:

I suppose the law of not selling any booze within a 100 meters of a school had nothing to do with kids as well?

That ban excludes schools , that ban is for Universities and colleges where the attendees can be of legal drinking age   .

Hi all, I suppose the MP's members bar and the Thai Police clubs all follow the same rules.  I've been married to a Thai for 20 years and where I live I've no other options but to drink at home. If I was a tourist I'd give Thailand a big miss. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

On 12/26/2011 at 1:10 PM, barryofthailand said:

Yes I agree it's licensing laws. The same licensing laws require retailers not to sell alcohol before 11AM and not after midnight. Has nothing to do with school kids.

Barry

Oh yes it has!!! This original law goes back to 1965 and is part of the "Child Protection Act". It wasn't enforced until 2002 when the act was modified. Then the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security insisted that the act must be strictly enforced....... and so we have this ridiculous and illogical law.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

My rule.......................nothing before the National Anthem at 6pm.

My rule, nothing before the one at 8am, though cant always stick to that????

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1