Afternoon drinkers...............

thaiflyer1

17 hours ago, Yknot said:
  On 12/26/2011 at 1:10 PM, barryofthailand said:

Yes I agree it's licensing laws. The same licensing laws require retailers not to sell alcohol before 11AM and not after midnight. Has nothing to do with school kids.

Barry

Oh yes it has!!! This original law goes back to 1965 and is part of the "Child Protection Act". It wasn't enforced until 2002 when the act was modified. Then the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security insisted that the act must be strictly enforced....... and so we have this ridiculous and illogical law.

There used to be similar laws in UK, with no alcohol on Sundays in Scotland.

While I am not a daytime drinker, I think this is one of the silliest laws here. It ranks right up there with pixelating movies and TV shows that show people smoking, or show nudity. A very purile sentiment, and absolutely fake purity. Who knows what they were thinking when that crazy law was passed. People would not work if they could access booze during the day?

• Like 1

Yeah, I had a pit stop on a beach walk along Jomtien this afternoon and went into Akavit next to Vickans for a thirst quencher as I was melting. I was told they'd had a reminder visit so no alcohol between 2-5, managed to neck a pint before enforcement time.  When I walked further along after 2pm I saw a policeman going into the Wombat bar just as one of the waitresses was carrying a beer to a customer. ????. I was watching from beach side but I left before he re-emerged.  

Is the same enforcement currently happening on Beach Road Pattaya ? 

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its nothing to do with school kids .

Its a law to stop  ADULTS drinking all day .

Its a law to stop adults having a lunchtime  drink and then drinking all day long

I was going to weigh in on you for being wrong again, but to be fair you are absolutely right I suspect.  The authorities certainly have not enacted or presented it in that way though.  The rhetoric about "protecting children from the evils of drink" has been strong in all of my time here, and the laws have followed suit in both spirit and letter.

19 minutes ago, Slip said:

I was going to weigh in on you for being wrong again, but to be fair you are absolutely right I suspect.  The authorities certainly have not enacted or presented it in that way though.  The rhetoric about "protecting children from the evils of drink" has been strong in all of my time here, and the laws have followed suit in both spirit and letter.

OK, if the 2 PM-5 PM no alcohol are there to stop Children from buying alcohol on the way home from School , the laws would begin when Schools close at 3.30 PM and ALSO , there are blanket rules to stop Children buying alcohol at anything time  , so Children cannot buy alcohol before 2 PM or after 5 PM anyway .

Children cannot buy alcohol anytime of the day , so why the need to have another rule stating the same thing with specific times ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, if the 2 PM-5 PM no alcohol are there to stop Children from buying alcohol on the way home from School , the laws would begin when Schools close at 3.30 PM and ALSO , there are blanket rules to stop Children buying alcohol at anything time  , so Children cannot buy alcohol before 2 PM or after 5 PM anyway .

Children cannot buy alcohol anytime of the day , so why the need to have another rule stating the same thing with specific times ?

You’re applying logic... You should know better than that. 

Regarding the fact that  ‘Children cannot (should not be permitted to) buy alcohol any time of day’...

True...   But again... you’re using western logic....  you know as well as anyone else that in Thailand justification for a decision / rule is not based on logic but on knee-jerk response by someone of decision making power..

i.e. Kids are buying booze in the day...  how do we stop them ?

... put a ban on buying booze between 2pm and 5pm. 

--------

As long as I’ve been here I’ve already heard the rule being associated with preventing children from buying booze when they get out of school (i.e. many schools close at 2pm to 3:30pm)...  

In 2008 Thailand increased the legal drinking age from 18 to 20 years old. 

Then of course in 2015 there was the introduction of the  law that banned sales of alcohol within 500m of a School or University.

This last law was knee-jerk and effectively if actually enforced made the vast majority of Bangkok dry !!! it was ill thought out and completely impractical.

--------

So... While there is no actual documented reason for the ban of sales of alcohol between 2-5pm... the idea of preventing children and youngsters from purchasing booze... 

... This seems more feasible than preventing adults from drinking at lunchtime because they can still purchase booze from 11am to 2pm, so that prevents nothing other than them continuing on an all day bender !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

OK, if the 2 PM-5 PM no alcohol are there to stop Children from buying alcohol on the way home from School , the laws would begin when Schools close at 3.30 PM

Using the same logic - IF the ban was to prevent adults from drinking in their lunch hour the ban would occur over lunch hour... 

Additionally, many schools close at 2pm (my sons does). 

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I know, it makes zero sense.  TIT though!

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Using the same logic - IF the ban was to prevent adults from drinking in their lunch hour the ban would occur over lunch hour... 

Additionally, many schools close at 2pm (my sons does). 

No, the ban isn't to stop adults from drinking during lunch hour , the ban is stop adults drinking all day when lunch hour is over , stop adults having a lunch time drink and then going on the <deleted> for the rest of the day . 

How old is your Son ?

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then of course in 2015 there was the introduction of the  law that banned sales of alcohol within 500m of a School or University.

No, that ban was for Technical colleges and Universities, where some of the students may be of drinking age 

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, that ban was for Technical colleges and Universities, where some of the students may be of drinking age 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Drafted by the National Alcoholic Beverage Commission of Thailand in conjunction with the Thailand Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), the Thailand alcohol law changes ban the selling of alcohol within a 300 metre (328 yard) radius of higher-education institutions.

https://aseannewstoday.com/2015/thailand-alcohol-law-changes-threatens-culinary-title-enriches-others/

On 6/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Was that in bars that didn't follow any rules at all ?

Bars with prostitution and no licenses for anything ?

I have never been unable to order a beer between 1400 and 1700 in 27 years. Where have you been?

Edit spelling. 

Edited by bang saen guy

18 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

I have never been unable to order a beer between 1400 and 1700 in 27 years. Where have you been?

Edit spelling. 

In places where they abide by the rules and laws , although this has only been adhered to in the last five years or so , prior to that it was a free for all and even 7/11's were selling beer at all hours

38 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Edit spelling. 

Like you I never remember it being an issue until during the Covid closing/re-opening hokey cokey when for a short while a 2-5pm ban was imposed. Returned to normal and then as the OP posted it has started certainly in Jomtien over the weekend. Did wonder if it was a temporary show, it being the Queen's birthday weekend holiday. Hope it's temporary as that's my exact preferred drinking time.

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In places where they abide by the rules and laws , although this has only been adhered to in the last five years or so , prior to that it was a free for all and even 7/11's were selling beer at all hours

Joining friends for a pint of Guinness tomorrow afternoon. Cheers

• 1 month later...

I drink in the afternoon in regular bars as well as restaurant bars around the soi Buakhao area and I  have never been refused a drink between 2 pm and 5 pm. In fact I go home about 4 pm after quite a few beers. Whilst drinking I am in a position to observe at least 6 bars apening around 12 pm all sell alcohol. The only places I get refused is the 7/11's and Family Marts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 5:55 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Drafted by the National Alcoholic Beverage Commission of Thailand in conjunction with the Thailand Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), the Thailand alcohol law changes ban the selling of alcohol within a 300 metre (328 yard) radius of higher-education institutions.

https://aseannewstoday.com/2015/thailand-alcohol-law-changes-threatens-culinary-title-enriches-others/

A few quotes ago it was 500 metres.