Dual Pricing Reconfirmed In Thailand National Parks

webfact

17 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Where do locals pay less? Local is in that state?    I have never  seen this in Utah or Colorado. I call BS

If you had read the previous post you would have observed I referred to Disneyland as they have a local resident fee while others from elsewhere in the state pay a higher price, as well as some other locations.  True it is not done in many states as the price is the same regardless.  Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Don't overcomplicate it, just ask for passport if they must

they should accept the Thai Pink ID card as proof of residence and charge those expats the Thai price.

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What they are doing is overcharging you as you are in Thailand but not paying the Thai price

I am inclined to think they are undercharging the Thais.... what they pay is invariably a bit of a bargain. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Very shallow thinking and twisted logic. They are not saving you 550 baht as you are not 'back home'. What they are doing is overcharging you as you are in Thailand but not paying the Thai price. Why is that so difficult to understand? And you forgot to compare the wages that people are paid 'back home' to what a Thai receives. Common sense says that if you are paid 10x more where you live you might expect to pay 10x more for things. That is the way the world works.

I take it you don't shine when it comes to economics.

Is your surname Charlie ????

17 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I don't know about Colorado or Utah, but in California at Disneyland they do have dual pricing but it isn't like in Thailand.  If you live in Southern California, let's say Huntington Beach, You can purchase a local pass which gives you a discount to enter Disneyland.  If you, from Utah, want to enter you pay the full price as would any other US citizen from any other state or foreign tourists.  It's a pass only for the locals of southern California.

Might we acknowledge a difference between private company and government property?

5 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The Pink Card gets one hotel discounts?

Didn't get a discount, as I paid the same price anyone would pay.  I just did not need a passport to check-in as many places seem to want.  At one time I could use it to check-in for flights inside the country, but then that stopped a few years back.  Only discount I ever received was in getting the Thai entry price to the parks and so on. The point I was making about the Pink ID card was that it is useful, well for some, and expats living here, should they have one already, do not need an expat ID as the OP states they are trying to make.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

"He said the agency wants to introduce an identity card for expats, helping to distinguish them from tourists so they will be charged the same price as locals"

Australian National parks although they do have systems in place for 'Locals' like a yearly pass around $95, and monthly pass's around $46 and from memory that doesn't include camping fee's. day pass's are cheaper than Thailand $8-$12 Just saying. 

• Like 1

I remember going to a park in Thailand and it had a price list up but I was with a govt employee.  It was like 300 baht for me but they all acted embarrassed and just charged us the lower price.  10$ didn't seem like to much but most parks in Thailand are full of trash and not very exciting 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Would anyone pay $100 USD or 100 EUR per person, to enter any park in their home country.  That's just silly.

When was the last time you went to a concert, a pro sporting event, or a large amusement park?

26 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

The fact that we, as expats, pay exorbitant entrance fees is price gouging xenophobia on steroids. Just as mentioned on a previous post, I just won’t go until this changes.

Don't include me matey, I've never paid an exorbitant fee in my life.

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a problem with tax funded attractions charging a premium for foreign visitors (not residents) what boils my blood is when private attractions follow the same policy, similar to the private hospitals charging foreigners much higher fees when receiving treatment 

think tourists should keep all the receipts for food and beverage purchased on their trip then when leaving go to the vat desk and demand all the vat back, “I haven’t been to the toilet so I’m leaving the country with all the food and beverages on these bills” 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought some electric hair clippers in BigC for 250bht, 10 years back.

They still work, assuming 6 cuts a year, so far that's cost me 4bht a haircut. 

Yep, #4 every month or so, and I'm a (more) handsome man again.  Been doing that for about 23 yrs.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Last week at Kalasin falls in Kachanaburi I was charged 10x's more than the GF who they thought was Thai. Her 30 baht, me 300 baht and then 30 baht for the car to enter.  Tried to show my Pink ID card and was pointed to a sign confirming even non Thai resident/expat ID'S not accepted anymore. If your a foreigner your a tourist in their eyes.  If you look Thai, like my GF from Myanmar they don't even blink.  It is what it is, dual pricing, and a way to make money.  Luckily the vendors selling food don't charge the same way.......

My Thai missus in Cambodia tried to dodge the $1 fee at a temple, they asked her to speak Cambodian. FAILED ????

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Australian National parks although they do have systems in place for 'Locals' like a yearly pass around $95, and monthly pass's around $46 and from memory that doesn't include camping fee's. day pass's are cheaper than Thailand $8-$12 Just saying. 

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Might we acknowledge a difference between private company and government property?

You could but then even county parks and so on charge a wide range of fees, based upon location, age, military affiliation and so on.  Buying a yearly pass, if one is goin to be visiting say 4 or 5 times a year does save on entrance fees to many places, Yellowstone is just one of many https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fees.htm.

However, here in Thailand as the OP states Fees are charged to foreigners at a rate 5x more than a Thai now in Hua Hin.  They might actually make money if they sold annual passes to the National parks which would allow entry without a fee to the parks.  If they did this they might actually obtain more money by those people who would then spend at the venues inside the National parks buying souvenirs or even food sold at the dining venues.

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Is your surname Charlie ????

It's nothing to do with the money. It's everything to do with principle. Something you clearly don't understand. As I said before, in your own country you'll pay the same for a haircut as everyone else.

As an aside, my hair is cut here by a sister-in-law, who has such a business. As family she didn't want to charge me but I insisted she does. I suppose if I was named Charlie I could have taken her up on her kind offer, but I'm not and didn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That is not a tourist price... A monthly/yearly pass means that you are living in the country and are frequently visiting the park... same happens in a museum too.... What Thailand is doing is for just 1 visit charge different prices...You can't buy a subscription for frequent visiting...

• Like 1

Duel pricing in Thailand applies to many things not only national parks. You have to accept that a foreigner whether living in Thailand or a tourist will always be a foreigner no matter what and be charged accordingly even after you die.

• Like 1

Lived here for 9 years, don't work but every day in one way or another I pay into the government coffers with VAT. Employing the services of trades people, I pay them, they go shopping, more VAT. What was the source of the money ???????????? ME, yet they take the pi$$ if I go to certain places and charge me a vastly increased entrance fee.

Simple solution, they can stick their so called 'attractions' where the sun don't shine.

I have witnessed on many occasions a farang (ATM) taking an extended family to a national  park, if it was not for the farangs generosity no one would have gone but they have to make an extra buck. 

Is it any wunder that a lot of the Golden Geese have migrated to pastures new.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

I don’t have a problem with tax funded attractions charging a premium for foreign visitors (not residents) what boils my blood is when private attractions follow the same policy, similar to the private hospitals charging foreigners much higher fees when receiving treatment 

think tourists should keep all the receipts for food and beverage purchased on their trip then when leaving go to the vat desk and demand all the vat back, “I haven’t been to the toilet so I’m leaving the country with all the food and beverages on these bills” 

Not a fan of dual pricing, but nobody is forcing anyone to come to Thailand, or enter or use any services when here.  Accept or avoid UP2U

Life is full of choices.  

I never go inside if I have to pay 5x more than a local.... and if everyone would do the same things will change... Check the prices on internet and dual pricing don't go..... Prayuth asked the expats to travel more to boost the economy and the other offices ruin it....No  views as usual