Voices: From hero to zero: How did faith in Boris Johnson’s premiership crumble in less than three years?

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, baboon said:

He was part of a cliqué who burned £50 notes in front of the homeless and could barely contain his smirk when asked about it.

Those allegations were aimed at his predecessor, David Cameroon and it was said to to part on an initiation ceremony to join a University  Club .

Boris categorially has stated that he didnt participate and he had nothing to do with it , even stating about that Club "a truly shameful vignette of almost superhuman undergraduate arrogance, toffishness and twittishness." , Which is hardly "smirking" is it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baboon said:

He conspired to have a journalist beaten up.

Again untrue , A friend of Boris telephoned Boris asking for a Journalists address to give him a few black eyes ............................and nothing came of it 

"In the call, Guppy asks the young Mr Johnson if he could give News of The World reporter Stuart Collier's address to him so he could send round people to give the reporter "a couple of black eyes" and a "cracked rib" after the reporter began investigating crimes Guppy was linked to.

In the call Mr Johnson can be heard questioning "how badly are you going to hurt this guy?" but he never agrees to the idea.

The plan came to nothing and the Prime Minister has never apologised to Mr Collier."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1562405/jon-nicolson-snp-cross-questions-lbc-boris-johnson-darius-guppy-vn

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Haha 1

Hero to Zero?

He got Brexit done, negotiated the country's way through Covid and has just won a no confidence vote meaning he is immune to a leadership challenge for 12 more months. Best of all, the cherry on the icing on the cake is that the main opposition is the Labour Party, consisting of the likes of Dianne Abbot, David Lammy, Angela Rayner and led by Keir Starmer ????. So no matter how bad he looks (and he has looked pretty bad at times), the clowns opposite him always make him look mildly competent by comparison.

Hardly Zero. Sitting pretty would be a more accurate description. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Some days just waking up to the news is  wonderful experience.

The last few days of political news have been such.

I look forward to what is to come.

''Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.''

For Whom The Bell Tolls

John Donne

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

And if anyone here or elsewhere deny those facts your quite rightly stated, .

He did not state facts . 

He stated made up things , like burning a 50 Pound note in from  of homeless people and conspireing   to get a journalist beat up .

Those things didn't happen , they are NOT facts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Excel said:

So what a shame 2 years ago those heroic NHS nurses couldn't have foreseen the future and instead of working tirelessly to keep him alive so he could go on and break the law, instead just simply have turned his life support off.

Charming.

I assume you are one of the lefty 'be kind' brigade?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bannork said:

Having 41% of your party MPs wanting you to quit is not sitting pretty. 

It will blow over.

A week is a long time in politics.

He's safe for another 12 months. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Hard to understand for one looking from outside how he managed to get in power in the first place! 

Unbelievable

Ironically, it was the anti Democratic Remainers that provided him with the perfect platform.

All he had to do was say that he would deliver what the people voted for. Bam. Landslide victory. It really was that simple.

There's an important lesson in there there somewhere about not disrespecting voters, but it might be too complicated for the extreme, anti-democractic Remain/Rejoin factions to see. Jo Swinson learnt it the hard way.

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Seems like you are one of the fortunate few who thro the relentless and tireless work of the NHS did not need to save any of your own relatives. Unfortunately there are thousands more who owe so much to the NHS for the work they did and only an ignoramus would dispute or infer otherwise.

What does that have to do with wishing death on Boris Johnson?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well that's a slightly different point but I will address it anyway.

IMO 2 years is too early to conclude on the economic side of things. You can't unravel decades of EU rules, regulations and incompetence in 2.5 years. Neither can you sign all potential trade deals in that timeframe but I believe long term (10-20 years) it will prove beneficial.

In terms of escaping the EU federalist project and regaining our sovereignty and democracy, it was absolutely worth it. I prefer the decisions affecting our country are made by politicians that we elect, not some unelected technocrat in Brussels. You can't really put an economic price on that.

To be true, Historical, there have never been a union that have survived time. 

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I'm sorry .... when was the 'Hero' bit? 

Brexit was a bad idea, and Putin is highlighting this every day, and Ireland post Brexit is a mess.  COVID management in the UK got off to a bad start too.

He was never a hero. Likewise, he is far from zero now. A silly headline.

Brexit was a sound move though. Why do you think Putin is highlighting otherwise?

Brexit also made the vaccine rollout much quicker by removing political barriers which would have made going our own way on vaccines much easier. The EU made a right mess of it early on and many EU countries still have a relatively low % of adults fully vaccinated compared to the UK.

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Many of the effects of the Brexit deal were not difficult to predict.

For example, as a result of leaving the EU Customs Union, there has been an increase in the amount of bureaucracy for UK exporters and the introduction of border checks has increased delivery times. Both factors have contributed to increased costs for UK exporters. Both of these events could be foreseen but not planned for in any meaningful sense by the UK government.

The DUP warned throughout the Brexit negotiations that they would not support a border down the middle of the Irish Sea. Johnson chose to ignore this statement. Again, the political impasse that has subsequently occurred in NI was not hard to predict.

That is going way off topic and it will all get deleted .

So, no point in discussing it 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Not true. The uk's vaccine roll out was permitted under EU rules and in fact began while still under the EU regulatory body that covers such matters.

Many of the major EU countries are doing better than the uk.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

I didn't say it would have been unlawful, did I? I said that politically it would have been very problematic and huge pressure would have been put on us to follow the EU debacle had we still been a member (perish the thought).

As for the link, yes some countries have caught up now. But that wouldn't have helped the people dying while the EU was playing political games and messing up the rollout in 2020/2021. The UK vaccine rollout was streets ahead during that critical period.

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I didn't say it would have been unlawful, did I? I said that politically it would have been very problematic and huge pressure would have been put on us to follow the EU debacle had we still been a member (perish the thought).

As for the link, yes some countries have caught up now. But that wouldn't have helped the people dying while the EU was playing political games and messing up the rollout in 2020/2021. The UK vaccine rollout was streets ahead during that critical period.

So I was correct on both points.

Good to see that acknowledged. 

• Haha 1