My CNX Hotel Experience-June 2022

sqwakvfr

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Walking distance from Pantip. 

I guess the high room price is to pay for the huge salaries of the counter staff who can speak English well and the foreign manager who gets to listen to customers complaints.

In other hotels, there will be communication problems just like the cook who didn't really understand what you meant by 'scrambled eggs'.

just look at the "houses" and you will realize it's all built out of bamboo sticks and concrete.  Red flag.

I remember when a couple asked to stay in a closet for 100 baht.  OK, I'm not that bad.

I'll go 500 to 1800 (absolute max once, bad room but nice companion)......and I think 500 is the only price where the room will exceed my expectations.   over 500 and it never does. 1000 rooms are fine, I'm not losing sleep over 1000 baht, but they are still generally bad rooms.  

beer for 200+ from a hotel bar?  OK, no comment on why anyone would expect anything more than a 45 baht glass.   if with companion, OK pay up.  

most a company ever spend on me for a room?  maybe 14,000 baht (conversion) more than once.  Only once did I really feel like it was worth it.   the rest was simply to waste the man's cash.

• Confused 1

500 - 600 baht/night hotels are my style, no need for fancy trimmings.

If I want a really good breakfast in Chiang Mai, there are several places I used to know that would be happy to cook me scrambled eggs and good coffee for 200 - 300 baht.

In out of the way places such as Nan, Loei and Mae Hong Son, my technique was to stay at a cheap hotel, then go to the most expensive hotel in town and pay for their buffet breakfast. Can't remember getting refused by anyone.

Maybe I am easy, but I have booked hotels in that price range. But to complain about no toothbrush or free peanuts......

I always travel with my own toothbrush, not that hard to pack. I guess some people don't plan ahead. 

As for asking for freebies like peanuts and a napkin. It would not even occur to me. 

Stayed at a nice hotel in Rayong last weekend only 3750 a night. Don't know if there was a toothbrush. I don't recall toothpaste. But there was showergel and shampoo. (though i also always have this with me). Just a simple toiletry kit with a razor / foam / toothbrush / toothpaste / shampoo.

I think people just have different expectations.

Normally i go to cheaper hotels, but as gf is paying half of it its not that bad. 

Edited by robblok

I camp where ever possible.  Of course opportunity not available in urban centers but I seldom visit a city by choice.

A decade or so ago I used to get a few stares.  But nowadays I get big smiles and thumbs up.  It has now become fashionable amongst the Bangkok elite to camp out.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If I want a really good breakfast in Chiang Mai, there are several places I used to know that would be happy to cook me scrambled eggs and good coffee for 200 - 300 baht.

....and just weeks ago folks were crying about 200/300 THB burger and fries.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I camp where ever possible.  Of course opportunity not available in urban centers but I seldom visit a city by choice.

A decade or so ago I used to get a few stares.  But nowadays I get big smiles and thumbs up.  It has now become fashionable amongst the Bangkok elite to camp out.

Been seeing a lot of these lately, though none set up.  Not really a night person, so explains not seeing in use.

image.png.e4c79403121ddc9b6092b01a47b94458.png

As someone that has worked in CM and hospitality field 30+ yrs I see pros n cons here..

I was also a Chef for a hiso market at Nim City so i was the only farang working with thais

I could not teach them to cook or follow recipes no matter how hard i tried--other issues were quality control--hygiene--food temps and much much more...i quit after 5 months..

4000 a night--yikes  thats my rent for a month in a nice clean studio in city...anyhoo

No matter how nice a hotel etc is its the STAFF that makes the exp worthwhile--its the front desk service--housekeeping --chefs--bartender--etc....they are thai and i bet getting paid cr*p..

U get what they pay for---and they seemingly ignore the farang GM, much as they ignored me

So would a thai look for these amenities if they got a room?  think like a thai...they are the ones basically running things---the GM likely gave up trying to train them as i did after 5 months

I think i know the place as u said chang on draft/bar..and others have guessed it too....when the 7-11 is night street over with a cold bottle of chang for 39 bt.....as i bought one today there...

You been here awhile? so ....why drink a draft?--is easy way to tweak CO2 tank to get more baht outta you...if i saw 3 of the same drafts i go outside since ur by pantip/ N bazaar

and ask how much draft is......i learned this long ago--always ask BEFORE you order here....

Toothbrush etc,,,,,either a lazy maid who turns rooms daily 6 days a week?  I ran a BnB and that gets old quick!!!   or maybe costing costs during past covid yrs..those amenities add up for a a big hotel with 100s of rooms.....is why they try not to wash towels and sheets daily---$$$$

Also chang...probably got a deal with chang kegs as tourist dont know better and thais are all about thai beer right???.....all tourists want a thai beer they think at $$$ price--(thai minds)

eggs....its rare i eat hot food..im used to it..as thais are..they get takeaway and use microwave or reheat......is why i never eat these buffets..they always disappoint.....thais are used to cold food.

scrambled-----do u see thais eat scrambled..they are cooking it after all--better off ordering an omelette and thats thai.......reminder..thais i trained to cook never--ever listen to the farang-GM

.....also they likely have no system...and they will never say no......i would not be surprised if he forgot how to make them...i couldnt get my guys to make tuna or egg salad correct;y w/recipes

front desk---paid how much to work 6 days  long shifts and dealing with tourists who expect western service---housekeepers---cooks etc.....all overworked for low wages=service level?

Is likely why they cook eggs etc..the one guy aka Chef is in the restaurant keeping an eye out

Reviews..I leave them all the time on google maps...and if you think im using my real name on the internet for reviews guess again......go ahead and leave one or call corporate or go on twitter or online......not asking u to identify yourself.....Id call corporate if you are really upset..they listen

As devils advocate think like a local thai....most barely understand us...work long hours for low wages..work 6 days a week, have never traveled or left CM and are not aware of western expectations.......and this is why i quit my job working here as a Chef I just could not get thru to my staff and tried to do it all myself.......frustrated x10000.....is easier to just go home to work and come back and live on those $$$$.......so i place blame on both sides..fool me once..shame on them...fool me twice........remember where u are and who exactly is providing the service......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

If you would have comprehended what he wrote you might have understood it wasn't just a toothbrush.

"Got to the room and noticed there were no amenity items in the bothroom (toothrush etc)."

I take it you always travel with shampoo, cream rinse, and bath soap?

NOTE: Many of the 5 start hotels I have frequented also provides items such as:

• Mouthwash
  • Sewing kits
  • Shower caps
  • Shoe horns
  • Manicuring files
  • etc

These items are being phased out by the the major foreign chains, to cut down on disposable waste. Being walking distance to Pantip Plaza have a pretty good idea. I bring my own bar of soap but one thing about cutting out disposable plastic bottles and mounting refillables in the shower is the maids actually have to check they are serviced!

As for "Should I go to 7/11 to buy a toothbrush? " that will bomb most of the time in US and Europe in Thailand, just plain nasty. Asian people do not get sarcasm or think is at all funny. The OP sounds rude, culturally insensitive and overly entitled, just for having paid 4,000 baht?  What is actually a pittance for what you get there.  In the US at a 5 Star Hotel they hardly even clean your room during the stay anymore because of "covid-19" The result is housekeepers are are losing employment. Any they say nobody wants to work anymore?

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 2

Really appreciate the psychological analysis about who and what I am.  The mental health and cultural experts on this forum are top notch.  I guess the point of the original post was missed.  The point was this:  In LOS it does not appears there is a big difference in service between a 3,4, or 5 star hotel.  My interactions with the employees in this hotel were audit and low key.  I never raised my voice.  I just did not smile.  I guess if this angry then so be it.  I kept my anger internal(this is the most important lesson on how to live in LOS).  There are few places in LOS where a Foreigner can express his or her feelings without being judged as an “angry and culturally insensitive person”.  This is also true on this forum as well. Of course everyone on this forum is an expert.  So every response is true as well. 

54 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Really appreciate the psychological analysis about who and what I am.  The mental health and cultural experts on this forum are top notch.  I guess the point of the original post was missed.  The point was this:  In LOS it does not appears there is a big difference in service between a 3,4, or 5 star hotel.  My interactions with the employees in this hotel were audit and low key.  I never raised my voice.  I just did not smile.  I guess if this angry then so be it.  I kept my anger internal(this is the most important lesson on how to live in LOS).  There are few places in LOS where a Foreigner can express his or her feelings without being judged as an “angry and culturally insensitive person”.  This is also true on this forum as well. Of course everyone on this forum is an expert.  So every response is true as well. 

I don't pretend to be an expert.

Having said that, if you are going to spend 4000 baht - half a month's accommodation in my Chiang Rai condo - for just one night in a hotel, I think it's fair to say you have more money than sense.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

You must be a real  keeper.

You mean because GF pays half of the hotel ?

No just got a high earning GF. who is a SG expaton an expat salary and package .  Before i had Thai GF's with low income so i paid for them. Not everyone has a poor gf that has no income (if i had i would pay of course too) But prefer GF's with income (this one makes more then me) so you know they not with you for the money

It was also her who booked the hotel. 

Edited by robblok
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't pretend to be an expert.

Having said that, if you are going to spend 4000 baht - half a month's accommodation in my Chiang Rai condo - for just one night in a hotel, I think it's fair to say you have more money than sense.

Actually I have both.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Actually I have both.  

Think you need to work on you research skills.   Surely there had to be some current, not so positive reviews with photos.  I concentrate on the mid to low end reviews.   Brand and star ratings aren't always consistent.  Gmap is a resource many don't utilize for reviews, and that's my first stop usually.

Happy Travels

19 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Actually I have both.  

I stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels, flew business and first class when I was traveling on the company account for many years. I don't see any necessity to do the same on my own money.

If you are claiming you are sensible, I am wondering why you made the OP, because any person with sense would have known it was bound to attract derision.

Presumably you are not so wealthy as to afford a defamation suit if you named the hotel.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels, flew business and first class when I was traveling on the company account for many years. I don't see any necessity to do the same on my own money.

If you are claiming you are sensible, I am wondering why you made the OP, because any person with sense would have known it was bound to attract derision.

Presumably you are not so wealthy as to afford a defamation suit if you named the hotel.

Derision?  Maybe true?  When is anyone ready to defend against a defamation suit? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Never claimed I was sensible. 

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Think you need to work on you research skills.   Surely there had to be some current, not so positive reviews with photos.  I concentrate on the mid to low end reviews.   Brand and star ratings aren't always consistent.  Gmap is a resource many don't utilize for reviews, and that's my first stop usually.

Happy Travels

I will work on my research.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

I will work on my research.  

OR ... just were unlucky.  Just peeked at suspected L_ M________, as some suggest, (also only 'corporate' one in that price range on 'B.com', aside from Sh-La) and have to agree, if so, then I would have expected much better service also.  And well priced.  Got to love the lack of tourist and better competitive pricing of late.

51 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Derision?  Maybe true?  When is anyone ready to defend against a defamation suit? 

A couple of your whinges were in the trivial class. Nobody wants a defamation suit here, the truth is not an acceptable defense in this country.

I have no doubt what you are saying is true.

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Yeah… until I retired I didn’t know that you could turn right when you entered the plane….

• Haha 1