Boris Johnson narrowly survives confidence vote - but suffers significant Tory rebellion

onthedarkside

Bojo.jpg.2923b3aab5f5a2f9697ad89e818c6847.jpg

Boris Johnson has narrowly survived a vote of confidence among Tory MPs - but suffered a rebellion bigger than Theresa May.

Some 211 MPs voted for the prime minister, compared to 148 votes against - a majority of 63.

He needed a simple majority - 180 votes or more - to continue in office.

The result means 59% of Conservative MPs backed Mr Johnson, with 41% voting against him.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-narrowly-survives-confidence-vote-but-suffers-significant-tory-rebellion-12628873

176378878_SkyNews.jpg.f72fef56effb67460c865e6cc58e9b05.jpg

Boris Johnson could face another confidence vote in six months as committee looking at rule change, says rebel MP

The prime minister has remained defiant after Conservative MPs voted 211 votes to 128, winning by a majority of 63 votes. While the ballot remained secret, an MP loyal to Mr Johnson said it is "inevitable" ministers voted against him

Boris Johnson could face another confidence vote in just six months as the leading Conservative committee is looking at changing the rules after he survived last night's vote, a senior Tory rebel has said.

Tobias Ellwood, who voted against the prime minister, said he understands the heads of the 1922 Committee of backbench Tory MPs are now looking at altering the rules so the leader of the Tory party could face another confidence vote within a year of surviving one.

Mr Johnson insisted on Tuesday he had secured a "decisive" victory despite 41% of his own MPs voting to oust him on Monday night. However, it was enough for him to continue as leader.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-could-face-another-confidence-vote-in-six-months-as-committee-looking-at-rule-change-says-rebel-mp-12629188

319727631_SkyNews.jpg.c270477056521915b61182ff2b774c92.jpg

8 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

Boris Johnson could face another confidence vote in just six months as the leading Conservative committee is looking at changing the rules after he survived last night's vote, a senior Tory rebel has said.

Some people just cannot accept defeat .

He lost , now he wants to change the rules and so get a win next time 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some people just cannot accept defeat .

He lost , now he wants to change the rules and so get a win next time 

Well Tobias Ellwood is a prominent remainer, and they are not exactly known for accepting vote results!

I don't really know much about Tory party rules, but presumably:

1) the in situ leader has a say in such a rule change.

2) the majority of MPs who voted for Johnson would also have a say.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

However, it was enough for him to continue as leader.

And that’s all that matters. And that the Lib-Lab-Rem pact is again thwarted, which is a bonus. 

Unless of course he would be replaced by a PM who would correct the NI protocol. 

4 minutes ago, baboon said:

Almost 75% of all Tory MPs not dependent on his patronage voted against him, which can't be good news for the Crime Minister. Good, filthy lying swine that he is.

Did you just copy that from an Ex-Conservative members tweet ?

What does your post actually mean ?

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

the only reason he survived is because there is no real alternatives and the opposition is completely powerless

the devil you know etc... which makes UK politics great entertainment for us Europeans ????

When did the UK leave the continent of Europe ? Must have missed that seismic shift in the earths plates.

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

When did the UK leave the continent of Europe ? Must have missed that seismic shift in the earths plates.

it's an island, it's not part of continental Europe ????

Tell the Brexiters, they must have missed the memo if the UK is part of continental Europe ????

7 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

the only reason he survived is because there is no real alternatives and the opposition is completely powerless

You don't seem to be aware that this vote was nothing to do with the opposition , they had no involvement and the outcome doesn't effect them .

He survived because Politicians think he is doing a good job

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You don't seem to be aware that this vote was nothing to do with the opposition , they had no involvement and the outcome doesn't effect them .

He survived because Politicians think he is doing a good job

he survived because they know their side could get away with it, and if the opposition was in a strong position, it would make supporting Boris impossible without consequences in the next general election

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, baboon said:

Almost 75% of all Tory MPs not dependent on his patronage voted against him, which can't be good news for the Crime Minister. Good, filthy lying swine that he is.

You would make a good shadow deputy leader, you have the same M.O as the present one.....????............????

Edited by transam
  • Sad 1

I was a member of the Conservative Party, I  voted for brexit, many of my fellow members didn't. I voted mainly because mass immigration from Europe inspired by the Labour Party had deliberately destroyed the unskilled manual worker job market. I thought the conservative party led by Boris would redress this and create balance. I was wrong. Instead this man and his government decided to destroy the skilled manual workers job market by lowering the entry qualifications from a minimum of Diploma level to Certificate or A level. A skilled manual workers qualification is equivalent to between 2 and 4 A levels. Consequently Immigration to the UK has actually increased because British employers won't train skilled manual workers it is now open to the whole world not just Europe. He has constantly proven himself to be an opportunist and very clever at bending the truth. I have no respect for Labour or Liberal either. Politicians in the UK seem to think their job is to persuade the electorate, not to represent it. Partygate and his lack of control of his staff is just further evidence of his self centred incompetence. The reason the Ministerial rules were changed is to protect his civil servants who organised the party's and the senior civil servants who turned a blind eye to them. Civil Service code of conduct follows ministerial code of conduct. Under the old rules of Ministerial Conduct  the civil service personnell concerned would have beeen obliged to resign for gross misconduct or incompetence, however if a minister cannot be sacked for 'trivial' offences such as breach of lockdown rules (The opinion of Boris Supporters not mine) then neither can the civil servants including the incompetent senior civil servants who allowed the parties at Downing Street. I said in a previous post that there had not been enough time for the conservative politicians in their ivory towers of westminster to realise how much public opinion is against him especially from former supporters like me. There is an emotional hatred of this man by law abiding citizens who follow the rules and obey the laws. The ones who support him are probably those who wouldn't obey rules anyway if they could get away with it. I have never worked in an organisation where alcohol is allowed in the workplace but it appears that the people who manage the UK are allowed to p**s it up making drunken decisions as much as they like at work confident that the security will not allow it to leak out any more. If you read Sue Grays report in the conclusion she spends most of the time praising the prime minister and his staff for the good job done in rectifying issues (locking the stable door after the horse has bolted) and defending the civil service. He may last but the plebs, the manual workers, who voted him and the conservative government in, will remember and the Labour party will probably be the next government of the UK, which will be disasterous. Remember that he only needed 20 more MP's to vote against him and he would have been out.

Edited by RobU
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RobU said:

I was a member of the Conservative Party, I  voted for brexit, many of my fellow members didn't. I voted mainly because mass immigration from Europe inspired by the Labour Party had deliberately destroyed the unskilled manual worker job market. I thought the conservative party led by Boris would redress this and create balance. I was wrong. Instead this man and his government decided to destroy the skilled manual workers job market by lowering the entry qualifications from a minimum of Diploma level to Certificate or A level. A skilled manual workers qualification is equivalent to between 2 and 4 A levels. Consequently Immigration to the UK has actually increased because British employers won't train skilled manual workers it is now open to the whole world not just Europe. He has constantly proven himself to be an opportunist and very clever at bending the truth. I have no respect for Labour or Liberal either. Politicians in the UK seem to think their job is to persuade the electorate, not to represent it. Partygate and his lack of control of his staff is just further evidence of his self centred incompetence. The reason the Ministerial rules were changed is to protect his civil servants who organised the party's and the senior civil servants who turned a blind eye to them. Civil Service code of conduct follows ministerial code of conduct. Under the old rules of Ministerial Conduct  the civil service personnell concerned would have beeen obliged to resign for gross misconduct or incompetence, however if a minister cannot be sacked for 'trivial' offences such as breach of lockdown rules (The opinion of Boris Supporters not mine) then neither can the civil servants including the incompetent senior civil servants who allowed the parties at Downing Street. I said in a previous post that there had not been enough time for the conservative politicians in their ivory towers of westminster to realise how much public opinion is against him especially from former supporters like me. There is an emotional hatred of this man by law abiding citizens who follow the rules and obey the laws. The ones who support him are probably those who wouldn't obey rules anyway if they could get away with it. I have never worked in an organisation where alcohol is allowed in the workplace but it appears that the people who manage the UK are allowed to p**s it up making drunken decisions as much as they like at work confident that the security will not allow it to leak out any more. If you read Sue Grays report in the conclusion she spends most of the time praising the prime minister and his staff for the good job done in rectifying issues (locking the stable door after the horse has bolted) and defending the civil service. He may last but the plebs, the manual workers, who voted him and the conservative government in, will remember and the Labour party will probably be the next government of the UK, which will be disasterous. Remember that he only needed 20 more MP's to vote against him and he would have been out.

I don't agree with much of what you say but I admire your honest self-reflection.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Tories just got beaten in race for 2 seats. One located in the so-called Blue Wall to the LibDems and other other to Labor in the so-called Red Wall. MPs can't be too thrilled with BJ.

Not just beaten, but thoroughly trounced.

An 18% swing to Labour in Wakefield and a 30% swing to the Liberals in Tiverton ( a seat that has been held by the Tories for 99 years).

Theses swings make it clear there are hardly any Tory seats that can still be regarded as safe.

Tories who decided to back Johnson are surely rethinking that choice, while they do so more dirt on Johnson arrives with reports of him using senior civil servants to find jobs for his unqualified wife.

He’s an albatross around the collective Tory party neck, and the best bit, they missed their chance to get rid of him.

It’s only going to get worse for the Tories.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1