Wearing a Mask

sqwakvfr

As I was leaving the gym this morning in CNX I saw a woman walking on the treadmill.  She was wearing a mask.  The gym does not require a mask when one is using the gym.  She was talking on her cell phone while wearing  a mask.  I have never seen this before.  She was the only one using the gum at the time. Does anyone wear mask while using a treadmill or other cardio machine?

• Confused 3

I saw people in Bangkok in a park walking and running. All of them wearing a mask. Seems bad for you to run with a mask. At hotel everyone has mask and plastic mitten for breakfast buffet which is a bit funny but ok. 50 50 around hotel and on street. Few on beach.  Still see whole Thai families all alone on beach wearing a mask. No one in gym or boxing area where a mask. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday,  A Thai man. Older adult. Eating KFC. He had his mask off on one ear. He had a napkin in one hand a piece of chicken in the other. He would take a bite and then hold the open tissue over his mouth while he chewed. Lower the tissue and take another bite...raise tissue..repeat.

Made him happy.......sooooo 

21 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, perhaps she has some respiratory disease, or some other reason to wear a mask. Perhaps she has bad acne and is shy...  Do her actions affect your life? ????   

Then why come to the gym and use a treadmill that will put stress on your body.  If one has a respiratory condition then the last thing one should be doing is covering the nose and mouth. Also, I did not judge her or anyone. I just posted what I observed.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Then why come to the gym and use a treadmill that will put stress on your body.  If one has a respiratory condition then the last thing one should be doing is covering the nose and mouth. Also, I did not judge her or anyone. I just posted what I observed.  

I thought the point of exercise was to put stress on your body. What harm do you think would come to her from wearing a mask?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I thought the point of exercise was to put stress on your body. What harm do you think would come to her from wearing a mask?

This link suggests it can be a concern. First on google. 
https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/content/wearing-mask-while-exercising

In Australia we had stopped the mask thing in most places and I found it tiring to wear in the hot weather here when I had to carry my bags. I don’t think difficulty breathing or getting oxygen is a beneficial form of stress. Especially with full on exercise. At best it’s not a nice feeling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I am physically fit but sometimes walking for an extended period with a mask on leads to a slight case of dizziness.  At the time the air condition was not on and I would never exert myself in that gym with a mask on.  Just my observation based upon my physical condition.  I am old but I have ran marathons in the past and I could not imagine inhaling and exhaling with a mask on.  

8 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have a respiratory condition >> Aspergillosis for more than 20 years.  The best treatment = exercise, running, jogging, breathing in and out.  I wear a mask while doing this - it makes it harder to breath and strengthens my lungs.... ????  No criticism of you btw - you posted what you saw (in all likelyhood, she doesn't have such a condition!)

34 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I have a respiratory condition >> Aspergillosis for more than 20 years.  The best treatment = exercise, running, jogging, breathing in and out.  I wear a mask while doing this - it makes it harder to breath and strengthens my lungs.... ????  No criticism of you btw - you posted what you saw (in all likelyhood, she doesn't have such a condition!)

Do you use a mask with a.valve, a standard surgical mask or the N95 mask?  I found it difficult to walk briskly wearing even a surgical mask in the heat and humidity of Thailand.  So when I workout in the gym(the air condition in this gum often not turned on) I will not wear a mask.  Also, I do not wear mask when I run outside.  I know there are specifically designed masks for athletes with valves but they are expensive. 

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Harm?  Like inhaling  and exhaling with the nose and mouth covered.  I find this to be harmful.  Covering your nose and mouth with a mask is not a problem when one is just sitting or standing. Of course this just my opinion and I could be wrong.  I used to be pilot and many years ago I did training in hypoxia recognition(this is when you are in an altitude chamber, simulate climbing to above 18,000, feet, take off your mask and gradually become hypoxic).  My belief is for some physically exerting oneself with the nose and mouth covered is like a mild case of hypoxia.  

15 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Do you use a mask with a.valve, a standard surgical mask or the N95 mask?  I found it difficult to walk briskly wearing even a surgical mask in the heat and humidity of Thailand.  So when I workout in the gym(the air condition in this gum often not turned on) I will not wear a mask.  Also, I do not wear mask when I run outside.  I know there are specifically designed masks for athletes with valves but they are expensive. 

To be honest, I use a made-to-measure cloth mask featuring scenes from the Thai Ramakien!!  It does next to nothing to protect me from airborne viruses, but is an interesting talking point with the various females that I meet while I jog!! ????

I see strange things all day everyday- if someone wants to wear a mask while walking, jogging inside or outside that is their prerogative. I run outside daily early morning and have my mask on- when i am away from other people i just have it around my chin, many others out running have theirs on all the time. I prefer it off, but having it on does not really make much difference unless you are going all out. Not really sure the merits or not of wearing it, but not something that bothers me either way- or what other people choose to do.

You also dont sound physcially fit if a brisk walk makes you dizzy.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I see strange things all day everyday- if someone wants to wear a mask while walking, jogging inside or outside that is their prerogative. I run outside daily early morning and have my mask on- when i am away from other people i just have it around my chin, many others out running have theirs on all the time. I prefer it off, but having it on does not really make much difference unless you are going all out. Not really sure the merits or not of wearing it, but not something that bothers me either way- or what other people choose to do.

You also dont sound physcially fit if a brisk walk makes you dizzy.

Dizzy only while wearing a mask. Currently running a 9 minute per mile pace without a mask.  Context is important.

23 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am physically fit but sometimes walking for an extended period with a mask on leads to a slight case of dizziness.  At the time the air condition was not on and I would never exert myself in that gym with a mask on.  Just my observation based upon my physical condition.  I am old but I have ran marathons in the past and I could not imagine inhaling and exhaling with a mask on.  

You did not say that-- you said walking.... please remember what you right, or some would suspect you of being a troll.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:52 AM, sqwakvfr said:

She was wearing a mask

CNX

Chiang Mai international Airport (CNX) is a major regional airport. 

Have they got a gym in the airport. 

If you reckon wearing a mask, in a gym, while using a treadmill is something to post about, come on down to Pattaya, you'll have 100's of posts daily for us to read. 

Lots of strange things happening by lots and lots of strange people. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 7:46 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Harm?  Like inhaling  and exhaling with the nose and mouth covered.  I find this to be harmful.  Covering your nose and mouth with a mask is not a problem when one is just sitting or standing. Of course this just my opinion and I could be wrong.  I used to be pilot and many years ago I did training in hypoxia recognition(this is when you are in an altitude chamber, simulate climbing to above 18,000, feet, take off your mask and gradually become hypoxic).  My belief is for some physically exerting oneself with the nose and mouth covered is like a mild case of hypoxia.  

Actually, one regimen for endurance athletes is training at high altitudes. Apparently it increases the level of red blood cells. So wearing a mask mimics this practice and it's a lot cheaper than a vacation in Nepal.

I was at the hospital in BKK this morning having a medical check up, and I suggested to my cardiologist and subsequently to my doctor,  that it was time we removed masks. Both responded that it was a good idea to keep wearing them...I said "forever?". There seems a very well established mindset that mask wearing is a good thing, but I am not clear why. If God had intended it, he would have created a skin flap that covered our noses and mouths. Of course I still oblige the "rule", "law", "guideline", (not sure which it is, BTS claims it's the "law"), but I think the lack of critical thinking persists, and will do so for some time to come. I walk on the wild side, and now don't wear my mask when I'm in the park, but still do, when I'm walking in the streets, (rarely in this heat).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:08 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

This link suggests it can be a concern. First on google. 
https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/content/wearing-mask-while-exercising

In Australia we had stopped the mask thing in most places and I found it tiring to wear in the hot weather here when I had to carry my bags. I don’t think difficulty breathing or getting oxygen is a beneficial form of stress. Especially with full on exercise. At best it’s not a nice feeling. 

This is what happened in Australia when you don't wear a mask during this covid pandemic.

https://covidlive.com.au/

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 3:01 PM, samtam said:

I was at the hospital in BKK this morning having a medical check up, and I suggested to my cardiologist and subsequently to my doctor,  that it was time we removed masks. Both responded that it was a good idea to keep wearing them...I said "forever?". There seems a very well established mindset that mask wearing is a good thing, but I am not clear why. If God had intended it, he would have created a skin flap that covered our noses and mouths. Of course I still oblige the "rule", "law", "guideline", (not sure which it is, BTS claims it's the "law"), but I think the lack of critical thinking persists, and will do so for some time to come. I walk on the wild side, and now don't wear my mask when I'm in the park, but still do, when I'm walking in the streets, (rarely in this heat).

Mask on whilst travelling on public transport, off whilst in the park, on walking in the street  and to cap it all OFF in the bars and restaurants. I defy anyone to explain the logic behind this to me. Worse still is the apparent acceptance to conform without question.

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

Mask on whilst travelling on public transport, off whilst in the park, on walking in the street  and to cap it all OFF in the bars and restaurants. I defy anyone to explain the logic behind this to me. Worse still is the apparent acceptance to conform without question.

Logic does not play a very large part in the psyche, and Thai society has been locked in a type of Stockholm syndrome, where the mask is the prison.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, sqwakvfr said:

It seems to annoy you.

38 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, but does that matter?

Don't we learn on TV that all Thais are the same stupid and follow communal pressure, that's why they all wear a mask?

But in the 7/11 they wouldn't know you are Thai,  they would think "just another dirty farang as Anutin said"

So you surreptiously make us non-Thais lose face...

• Confused 1