How To Get Bees/Wasps Out Of Post Box

JetsetBkk

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Send them a harshly written eviction letter... 

I was actually thinking of writing a warning in Thai, something like: "Beware! Bees inside!" and sticking it on the post box.

But then I thought maybe I'd be sued by a stung postman for not getting rid of them sooner  ???? .

So are they bees or wasps?

This better photo should clear that up:

2134046892_IMG_20220612_123152cropX.thumb.jpg.7048a7680aaa8afb98d82cf22ad453bd.jpg

14 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I was actually thinking of writing a warning in Thai, something like: "Beware! Bees inside!" and sticking it on the post box.

But then I thought maybe I'd be sued by a stung postman for not getting rid of them sooner  ???? .

So are they bees or wasps?

This better photo should clear that up:

You must write the letter to the bees... 

I used to write a note to the snakes, not permitting them to enter and paste it on the ledge going into the house... they never came in when the note was there... 

• Haha 1

I think it looks like Vespidae Polistinae, the common paper wasp.

They don't usually attack unless provoked and are actually quite useful in the garden as both a pollinator, and as a predator of caterpillars and other insects.

Having said that, as they would be provoked every time you try to put your hand into your letterbox, I would wait until after dark when they are least active, don some heavy full cover clothing including boots and gloves and a mesh screen ( a fishing net does a good job) for your head, then spray the nest liberally with Chaindrite.

Repeat aver several nights to catch strays who may have returned to the nest after the initial treatment.

Once you feel safe enough, remove the old nest (it's quite soft and made from bark and leaves) and re-spray the letterbox with some surface insecticide. Repeat every 3 months to discourage returnees.

Polistinae

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

I think it looks like Vespidae Polistinae, the common paper wasp.

They don't usually attack unless provoked and are actually quite useful in the garden as both a pollinator, and as a predator of caterpillars and other insects.

Having said that, as they would be provoked every time you try to put your hand into your letterbox, I would wait until after dark when they are least active, don some heavy full cover clothing including boots and gloves and a mesh screen ( a fishing net does a good job) for your head, then spray the nest liberally with Chaindrite.

Repeat aver several nights to catch strays who may have returned to the nest after the initial treatment.

Once you feel safe enough, remove the old nest (it's quite soft and made from bark and leaves) and re-spray the letterbox with some surface insecticide. Repeat every 3 months to discourage returnees.

Polistinae

Don't think so. Firstly, it doesn't have a single yellow band around it's black abdomen. Paper wasp looking at your link has a brown abdomen.

Secondly, the thorax and abdomen are not connected by an extremely thin tube.

At least we agree that it is a wasp.

Here is a better picture than the previous one I posted.

wasp2.jpg.dc0bf4a939126c33fafa458a6526e6ee.jpg

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't think so. Firstly, it doesn't have a single yellow band around it's black abdomen. Paper wasp looking at your link has a brown abdomen.

Secondly, the thorax and abdomen are not connected by an extremely thin tube.

At least we agree that it is a wasp.

Here is a better picture than the previous one I posted.

wasp2.jpg.dc0bf4a939126c33fafa458a6526e6ee.jpg

"My" wasps have quite a narrow single yellow/green band around their abdomen, near the end of the abdomen.

1317782304_IMG_20220612_123152cropthinband.jpg.c5c90d7bbc13f4c8f8fbefb6cdf812ae.jpg

Not sure if the colour is important - could be caused by the blue post box reflecting its light onto the wasp.

I just put a small jug 1/2 full of distilled white vinegar in the box. I covered half the top of the jug with strips of sellotape so if my electric bill comes tomorrow, it hopefully won't get wet.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Job done. Decided to suffocate the little ******s:

Suffocation.jpg.4f8decf91077fbb271f50a01c9316648.jpg

So I did:

511006942_BoxinPlastic.jpg.6f0cad80c0140fe3b1d5da6ab8ffd012.jpg

And that plastic bag is now inside a big dustbin liner in the shed out back. I'll leave it for a week or two.

I'll check the new post box daily and give it a spray with Chaindrite.

19 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Job done. Decided to suffocate the little ******s:

Suffocation.jpg.4f8decf91077fbb271f50a01c9316648.jpg

So I did:

511006942_BoxinPlastic.jpg.6f0cad80c0140fe3b1d5da6ab8ffd012.jpg

And that plastic bag is now inside a big dustbin liner in the shed out back. I'll leave it for a week or two.

I'll check the new post box daily and give it a spray with Chaindrite.

Good job!   Hadn't heard of that solution before (course, mine always nest on the underside of eaves and the patio (guess I could bag up the whole house....wife might get suspicious though).

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, tjintx said:

Good job!   Hadn't heard of that solution before (course, mine always nest on the underside of eaves and the patio (guess I could bag up the whole house....wife might get suspicious though).

Why not?

A wasp problem at the Reichstag.

plastic.jpg

• Haha 1

Definitely wasps. A quick spray of Chaindrite white ant killer would kill all in a small nest very quickly.  I use it on the tiny red fire ants that nest in the ground on my Isaan property. 

The wasps would die quickly and not have a chance to attack.  Hornets (also a wasp species) are much more dangerous.

If allowed to dry this stuff keeps killing for weeks.   (Toxic stuff - stay upwind and best not used inside.)

Chaindrite 1 Thái Lan 600ml xịt côn trùng gián, mối và kiến - Bách hoá ...

Don't kill bees, they have a vital role in plant pollination and are endangered in some places. If wiped out we will eventually follow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...