How To Get Bees/Wasps Out Of Post Box

JetsetBkk

Here's a picture of the inside of my post box:

691316749_Box600365.jpg.6c44449eea0ac623ae61279bfc3db728.jpg

The brown blob at the back is a bees nest (or wasps nest). I've circled three of the bugs:

460991866_Bees3.jpg.8ed7ace28ae0fac3159eae1be40f613f.jpg

My landlord has already been stung once after putting his hand inside. I don't want anyone else to get stung!

So the question is: How to get rid of them?

Bees are most dormant around dusk, the ideal time to spray them.    Leave the wet nest alone for 24 hours so that any that got away or were out (shopping?   hitting entertainment venues?) return and die as well, otherwise, the stragglers will simply build a new nest nearby.

...of, and don't be surprised if they try to build in the box again, maybe in a year.   They always go back to collective bee "perfect" locations.   If they do, spray it when they are just starting to build and whack it then.

• Like 2

The full story is, my landlord opened up the box to show me a lot of water laying in the bottom.

He put his hand inside and got stung.

Then lots of bees/wasps came out and started buzzing around us.

He wanted to show me the water laying in the bottom because he had earlier removed a bill that was soaking wet, and gave it to me. He wasn't stung that time.

But because 6 to 10 of these bugs started buzzing around us, I'm a little apprehensive of setting them off again by spraying them.

I was hoping there was some dry powder or chemical that I could put in there, run away and go back when the deed was done.

Go to post office and ask to have their mail re directed .

If this fails, and mass murder is abhorrent , then as others have suggested , carefully move the box and get a new one which should be sprayed with insecticides to prevent any new infestations.

A small sign might also help:

" squatters will prosecuted to the full extent of the law "

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Certainly  not on bees!

Good point, and even though the picture isn't clear, I'm thinking that these are wasps which are not beneficial like bees.   I say that as good bees are hairy and have translucent wings while wasps have thicker antennae (which are the three things I can discern here).

Now, here is the really tricky bit.   When you open the box, the queen is likely to call out to you as "hansom man."   DO NOT buy them bee drinks.   The queen will tell you that it will be high quality honey but, in reality it will be low grade, bulk corn syrup and then sting you a long time.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Good point, and even though the picture isn't clear, I'm thinking that these are wasps which are not beneficial like bees.   I say that as good bees are hairy and have translucent wings while wasps have thicker antennae (which are the three things I can discern here).

Wasps are beneficial  but don't make honey. This is why we smoke bees and wasps and hornets out. They are all vital in their  own way but not necessarily directly  beneficial to humans.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just burn some gras beneath, and remove them with a palette gently and put them up in a tree or away from your house. Noisy neighbors?

Some say place a cup of vinegar solution  mix with water or spray vinegar around the nest not on the nest, will make them leave, but never tried.

Edited by Hummin

Something like this Terro Garbage Guard that contains Dichlorvos (DDVP).  That's assuming the box is outside.  Mothballs might chase them off, or ammonia.

8ecf8eae6c2757f62de300b0a280b015.jpeg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bees should NEVER be poisoned with toxins.

indeed. bees are very important to the fragile ecosystem that us self-aware apes seem intent on destroying. they need to be humanely relocated, end of.