Taxis Granted Permission to Provide Meterless Services in Outer Provinces

snoop1130

b728097f95baf57b6581896d4aa9ed58_small.jpg

As a service flexibility measure, taxis registered in Bangkok are now permitted to provide services outside of seven provinces without using meters.

Chirute Visalachitra, director-general of the Department of Land Transport (DLT), said the measure, which was published in the Royal Gazette, relaxes regulations for taxi services provided to customers outside Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Chachoengsao, Samut Sakon and Nakhon Pathom.

According to the DLT, taxi drivers and passengers traveling to or between destinations outside of these seven provinces are able to negotiate charges instead of using meters.

Chirute said that when traveling between provinces, many drivers and passengers prefer to negotiate fares rather than use meters because it allows them to save more money. He did clarify, however, that the vehicles must still be equipped with electronic meters for passengers who prefer this method of fare calculation.

DLT officials said the relaxation is intended to boost the competitiveness of conventional taxis, following the legalization of private cars for use in providing ride-hailing taxi services in the country.

The new fare type was announced in the Royal Gazette on June 10 and went into effect the following day.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-06-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I tried to negotiate a fare from Bang saray to Pattaya a few years back the driver wanted 1500 baht to go the distance....fleecing

For that price I would have taken you by piggy back. When do you want collecting sir.

For years, taxi mafia was up in arms against a new law to obligate the use of meters. Especially at the airports. Anyone remember?

Seems mafia won.

How in any sense is tjis more productive?

And how on earth could it save customers money?

Corrupt politician in a backwards country.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

There is just two ways to deal with things here, either they use it or not use it. History have clearly shown there is no possibility to give people options in this country.

There is. They called it UBER then Grab and it has been life changing. Given the choice I found I prefer the car free lifestyle. 

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Sorry to have to do this, but they were quite clear about the fact that the drivers are looking to save customers money:

"many drivers and passengers prefer to negotiate fares rather than use meters because it allows them to save more money"

(/s)

Yea right pull the other one mate ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

There is. They called it UBER then Grab and it has been life changing. Given the choice I found I prefer the car free lifestyle. 

Oh, thank you for understanding my post so well before posting. The options I was referring to was not your option choosing taxi, Uber or Grab! It was regarding the taxi drivers options to chose when to use the meter. Hope I made things much clearer now. 

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Oh, thank you for understanding my post so well before posting. The options I was referring to was not your option choosing taxi, Uber or Grab! It was regarding the taxi drivers options to chose when to use the meter. Hope I made things much clearer now. 

There is no option to use nor choose the meter they have never been turned on once in the history of Chiang Mai. And thanks to you sir to be condescending, dismissive and argumentative in the same uninformative and tedious retort.

Welcome to the ignore list 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

10 or 15 years ago they started Taxi Meter in Chiang Mai. It was reported they had to have a meter but they did not have to use it! Nor once hath the flag fallen on the flower of the north. 

Same in Pattaya. Taxi Meter...never once a meter used. B300 to go the shortest distance was their answer every time. Now I RELISH when those Taxi Meter drivers pick me up as BOLT and get B60, including tip, for what they used to fleece the unwary tourists. LOVE IT! ????

• Like 2