Data suggests 15,000 millionaires trying to leave Russia - U.K. Ministry

onthedarkside

Screenshot_2.jpg.a31403f0c8640768d3501bb00f2f73f9.jpg

The assessment from the British Defense Ministry comes as Western countries seek some sign their tentatively unified pressure campaign on Russia has had some effect

Roughly 15,000 of Russia’s millionaires are attempting to flee the country in protest of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine and amid fears of the effects of devastating international sanctions, British intelligence assesses.

The U.K. Ministry of Defense’s military intelligence unit concluded in an analysis released Friday morning that skepticism about the war is “particularly strong amongst Russia’s business elite and oligarch community.”

The assessment comes as Western countries are eager for some sign that their tentative unanimity has had some effect on Russia as it settles into a grinding and bloody conflict as the war approaches the end of its fourth month.

(more)

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2022-06-17/u-k-intelligence-15-000-russian-millionaires-take-flight-over-sanctions-concerns

1031065587_USNews.jpg.54a2360ddb6af2857514d7f7f8c90228.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I think it's far more significant that they are losing a significant portion of their technically sophisticated citizenry.

Russia Is Facing a Tech Worker Exodus
"With founders and developers scrambling for the exit, the Russian tech scene is taking a major hit.

According to RAEK, a Russian technology trade group, between 50,000 and 70,000 tech workers have already fled Russia, and 70,000 to 100,000 more could leave in April. With flights to the West canceled, they have wended their way to countries where Russian citizens can still travel visa-free."

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/russian-techies-exodus-ukraine

Thanks for the Fixed link. What an eye opener . A real brain drain . I just hope that those who have fled Russia can settle in their new homes and not to be seen as bad people . One would think that by now the Russian population would be aware that they are being fed propaganda by Putin and that an uprising may take place 

11 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Roughly 15,000 of Russia’s millionaires are attempting to flee the country in protest of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine and amid fears of the effects of devastating international sanctions, British intelligence assesses.

Phipat must be creaming himself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, siftasam said:
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan * 3,662,407 6.5  
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany * 2,952,710 5.3  
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom * 2,490,952 4.4

Percentage share of global millionaires in USD.

So, who WON the war?

Did you think about adjusting these figures for population? For instance there are almost twice as many Japanese as Brits yet Japan doesn't even have 50% more millionaires. And while the UK has about 81% as many residents as Germany, it has 84% as many millionaires. 

15 hours ago, siftasam said:
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan * 3,662,407 6.5  
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany * 2,952,710 5.3  
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png United Kingdom * 2,490,952 4.4

Percentage share of global millionaires in USD.

So, who WON the war?

It’s a meaningless statistic.

There are too many other factors at play, including ‘wealth gradient/disparity’ within individual societies.

Large numbers of millionaires in a society is not in itself an indication of the strength of that economy or resilience of the society.

With respect, not totally meaningless, although I respect Disraeli's comment that "There are lies, damned lies and there are statistics" (even though he was a terrible old Tory cynic! - yet also, engagingly, a sincere social reformer). It's an arguable attribution and probably not word perfect, but it has merit and it's fun.

These statistics are from Wikipedia which normally merits my trust.

I am not suggesting they are of tremendous import, I am merely referring to the 'millionaires item' in the news. I personally couldn't give a toss about where millionaires run away to. Rats leaving a sinking ship?

The important things to me, as a Brit, are:

why there are still seemingly immense problems in the UK when Wikipedia tells me that UK is the sixth richest economy in the world. 

why Germany and Japan appear to have prospered so successfully (economically, financially and,  probably, socially), when the UK has 'failed to deliver' in certain key areas.

Great to read the comments.

• 2 weeks later...