Reliable Agent to Help with Non-O VISA in Bangkok (Ratchadamri area)

Hi everyone,

I am sure this this a much over worked topic, but I am flying into Thailand on a Thai Pass, and would like to get a Non-O VISA to stay the following year.  I am a USA citizen age 65yo, and have plenty of money for the 800K baht requirement.  I was trying to acquire the Non-O-A VISA here in the US, in Los Angeles, but ran into a problem that, even though I am very healthy, I have an irregular heartbeat, or Atrial Fib.  I was in contact with a rep from Pacific Cross, and as soon as I sent him these unexpected results, he never responded back, meaning it's a no go from this side of the pond.  I passed all other parts of my exams, and background checks, etc.  The problem will be getting the health insurance requirement, even though I thought I was in excellent shape and weight for a man my age.  So, if anyone knows of an agent that can help me get the med insurance, I'm sure the rest will be easy, since I have done most everything else from this end that was required.  You can reach me by PM, or post your reply here and I will take a look when I can.  I should arrive in BKK on the 24th, and will be in a hotel the first 10 days, and then an Airbnb in the same area until July 21st.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by blackcab
Email address removed

You don't need health insurance for Non-O conversion from visa exempt entry inside Thailand and subsequent retirement extension. You can't get O-A inside Thailand if that is what you intend to get. O-A visa was great as long as they did not have health insurance requirement. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

Are you saying that unlike getting a Non-O-A in your home country where you have to have medical insurance with sufficient coverage, that I do not equivalent medical insurance coverage to acquire a Non-O in Thailand?  I have never heard that before, so I would be interested in where you got your information, since I am under impression I need coverage.  Thanks for the comments.

Jim

That's great news.  Are you saying I do not ever need insurance, even though I do plan to get it, or is that a different type of VISA?  I was under the impression the Thai government wants expats to have health insurance coverage up to $100K USD, along with the $800K baht in the bank.  Or, is that requirement only for the Non-O one year VISA?  Thanks again for the info, and I will just contact Siam Legal, who didn't get back to me here in the US.

here is the checklist of items required for the change/conversion of visa exempt or tourist visa to the NON O while in thailand - this one is from bangkok, CW immigration office

as noted above, one hurdle is opening the bank account.  and at the bottom of the list they note copy of lease with three months of rental receipts.  i assume that isn't a strict requirement as many that do this have just arrived in thailand.  maybe someone on the forum has experience on that.  i did this twice but had a lease/receipts already.

Change Visa Instructions.pdf

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, JiminLA said:

That's great news.  Are you saying I do not ever need insurance, even though I do plan to get it, or is that a different type of VISA?  I was under the impression the Thai government wants expats to have health insurance coverage up to $100K USD, along with the $800K baht in the bank.  Or, is that requirement only for the Non-O one year VISA?  Thanks again for the info, and I will just contact Siam Legal, who didn't get back to me here in the US.

One year of insurance is only required for a Non-OA visa visa application and a extension of the one year entry that it allows.

If applying  for a non-o visa for retirement at some embassies and official consulates only 90 days of insurance is needed to apply for it. Then when you apply for a one year extension of stay it is not required.

If you apply for a non-o visa and a one year extension no insurance is required.

Thanks everyone again for the information that seems completely different from the Non-O-A I was struggling to obtain here in the US.  Now, I will not have a permanent address immediately, and will be in a hotel for the first 10 days or so, and then will be in an AirBnB for the remainder.  If it will help me get the VISA, I can get an apartment sooner.  I was just wondering, what do you do, if you have an accident, and do not have insurance?  Thanks once again,

Jim

1 hour ago, JiminLA said:

I was just wondering, what do you do, if you have an accident, and do not have insurance?

You will need to self-fund.

You said that Pacific Cross stopped responding? Is that PC here in Thailand? That's a bit unprofessional just to stop talking or did they definitely advise you that the atrial fibrillation issue was a game stopper for them? I would pursue closing that door if it's been left open by poor communications.

Did you approach PC directly or have you sought the help of an insurance broker? A broker can advise on alternatives and help whittle away the ones that aren't likely to address your personal circumstances, economically or otherwise.

2 hours ago, JiminLA said:

Thanks everyone again for the information that seems completely different from the Non-O-A I was struggling to obtain here in the US.  Now, I will not have a permanent address immediately, and will be in a hotel for the first 10 days or so, and then will be in an AirBnB for the remainder.  If it will help me get the VISA, I can get an apartment sooner.  I was just wondering, what do you do, if you have an accident, and do not have insurance?  Thanks once again,

Jim

On accommodation, requirements vary depending on the immigration office you use. In Bangkok, they will accept the explanation that you are newly arrived, and still looking for a permanent address. In other provinces, you may find a helpful hotel manager who will agree a six month rental agreement with a handy cancellation clause.

I won't say much here other than I am retired expat and have never had visa issue. I have an agent who is highly professional and gets the job done usually in 24 hours.. DM me for his contact details. He is fluent in English and the law. 

3 hours ago, buick said:

as noted above, one hurdle is opening the bank account.  and at the bottom of the list they note copy of lease with three months of rental receipts

Outline how a bank account is opened in Bangkok with a tourist visa or visa exempt.

You seem to indicate that you have done that. 

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Outline how a bank account is opened in Bangkok with a tourist visa or visa exempt.

You seem to indicate that you have done that. 

i opened my account back in 2018 during the initial crackdown phase.  i had a tourist visa, a copy of a lease along with a cover letter from the apartment manager, and the US embassy letter stating my passport was real.  i opened two accounts, one at bangkok bank main branch silom road and another at KTB on sukhumvit soi 22 (branch now closed).  i was declined at the bangkok bank sukhumvit/asoke branch and went to their main office to try there and got one.  it is more difficult now, if i needed to open one today, i'd use an agent or a law firm and pay the fee.   not interested in calling or visiting numerous branches to come across one that might open one.  i do think bangkok bank main branch is the best bet, maybe you have to buy their insurance.  but not a sure thing w/o an agent or law firm to assist.   UOB is another possibiity, although i never tried there, but they seem to have different requirements than the thai banks.

4 minutes ago, buick said:

i do think bangkok bank main branch is the best bet, maybe you have to buy their insurance.  but not a sure thing w/o an agent or law firm to assist

You used an embassy letter.

Bangkok Bank requires that or residence certificate.

Even more strictly now than in 2018.

Not all embassies provide that service. Oz being one.

A residence certificate in Bangkok requires you to have do a 90 day report. Not possible on TV or visa exempt.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You used an embassy letter.

Bangkok Bank requires that or residence certificate.

Even more strictly now than in 2018.

Not all embassies provide that service. Oz being one.

A residence certificate in Bangkok requires you to have do a 90 day report. Not possible on TV or visa exempt.

i'm not sure what you are getting at here.  in my original post, i suggested that getting a bank account was a 'hurdle' - which was to suggest not easy.  then you asked about how i opened my account and i responded.  now this new post from you doesn't make any sense to me.  what exactly is going on here ?  i know i used an embassy letter.  i know it is more strict that 2018.  i know not all embassies issue the letter.  i know about CW and the 90 day report issue for res cert.  that is the 'hurdle' piece.  and in numerous recent bank account threads i've recommended agents or law firms as the easiest way to obtain a bank account.  and of course, several members here still suggest 'it is easy' to open one but i'm not one of those.  so whatever your after here, i think you've missed the mark.

• Confused 1

Thanks again for all the information.  It seems that while I could not get med insurance while still in the US, I am trading that problem with one of trying to get a Thai Bank account in Thailand.  I appreciate all the help and like I assumed from the start, it is best to hire an agent to help with the process.

Jim