Nearly 6 in 10 Americans say Trump should be charged for Jan. 6 riot--poll

onthedarkside

19 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Unfortunately we are entrenched in a time when politics has been reduced to spectacle and the current Congressional proceedings mimic reality TV. Check out Youtube for videos of the Watergate hearings and look at the difference between now and then. That was a hearing. Witnesses appeared live, took an oath and answered questions in real time, none of this garbage with videotaped snippets. 

In fact, the hearings are being reported live. PBS, for one, is streaming them live on youtube. So is the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, C-Span etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In fact, the hearings are being reported live. PBS, for one, is streaming them live on youtube. So is the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, C-Span etc.

Except Fox, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tuesday’s focus will review how Trump was repeatedly told his pressure campaign could potentially cause violence against the local officials and their families but pursued it anyway, according to a select committee aide. And it will underscore that fallout from Trump’s lies continues to this day, with elections officers facing ongoing public harassment and political challengers trying to take over their jobs.

While the committee cannot charge Trump with any crimes, the Justice Department is watching the panel’s work closely

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-presidential-70b3fad9f2b3d990c2e097c3d1143f1a

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In fact, ,the Democrats offered Republicans the chance to set up an independent commission. The leader of the House Committee investigating this, along with the Republican leader on the committee came to an agreement about establishing one. McCarthy turned it down.

Of course the Trumpists are counting on most Americans not knowing that or at least forgetting. Not a bad tactic given American attention spans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Tuesday’s focus will review how Trump was repeatedly told his pressure campaign could potentially cause violence against the local officials and their families but pursued it anyway, according to a select committee aide. And it will underscore that fallout from Trump’s lies continues to this day, with elections officers facing ongoing public harassment and political challengers trying to take over their jobs.

While the committee cannot charge Trump with any crimes, the Justice Department is watching the panel’s work closely

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-capitol-siege-biden-donald-trump-presidential-70b3fad9f2b3d990c2e097c3d1143f1a

Which is more than most of America seems to be doing. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Do you have the same problem with the polls showing Biden in trouble? Numbers of those interviewed are similar.

As a non-American, I dont have a problem with either of them, I just thought the sample number was low--but as you say it seems to be the norm. 

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

As a non-American, I dont have a problem with either of them -placeholder, I just thought the sample number was low--but as you say it seems to be the norm. 

There's some very sophisticated statistical rationales behind these polls. Of course, what sticks in peoples' minds is when they get it wrong. Actually, and I'm sorry to say this, the Suffolk Poll which had bad news for Biden, is one of the best.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I dont have a dog in the race--but observing it-I just feel they (Dem's) may be shooting themselves in the foot by getting him (Trump) disqualified ---there is a lot of floating voters who wouldn't vote for him, but put someone else in like DeSantis + Trumps blessing  if he cant run,- and unless something drastic happens in the next 2 years.

That looks like a winning team.

"DeSantis + Trump's blessing"......55555555,  that's a good one.  You clearly don't understand khun Trump.

["Trump f---ing hates DeSantis," a Trump confidant told Vanity Fair. "He just resents his popularity."]

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-reportedly-<deleted>-hates-184458023.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Well the polls (whoever they were) on the Trump election, also had it madly wrong didn't they--and the same in UK when we voted not to stay EU. so maybe the target areas are more important.

I dont have a dog in the race--but observing it-I just feel they (Dem's) may be shooting themselves in the foot by getting him (Trump) disqualified ---there is a lot of floating voters who wouldn't vote for him, but put someone else in like DeSantis + Trumps blessing  if he cant run,- and unless something drastic happens in the next 2 years.

That looks like a winning team.

Actually, for Brexit, the polls show it to be virtually a tie. It was the chattering class that got it wrong. In 2020 the polls prophesied a Biden win. And unless you believe that the election was stolen from Trump, they get that right.

And don't you think it's a little early to be handicapping the 2024 elections?

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

"DeSantis + Trump's blessing"......55555555,  that's a good one.  You clearly don't understand khun Trump.

["Trump f---ing hates DeSantis," a Trump confidant told Vanity Fair. "He just resents his popularity."]

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-reportedly-<deleted>-hates-184458023.html

I forgot about that. Quite right.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The overarching thing for me is the absolute stupidity that is rampant in the US, especially as far as the Republicans are concerned, and this really did alarm me, however luckily it was withdrawn by several media sites: –

Greitens, a former Missouri governor who resigned in disgrace in 2018, in his video clip, enters an empty living room through the smoke, brandishing a shotgun, and says, "Join the MAGA crew. Get a RINO hunting permit. There's no bagging limit, no tagging limit and it doesn't expire until we save our country." (declaring that he was hunting RINOs, or Republicans in Name Only).

The news "media" didn't retract their reporting on that. It was a legit news story.

But social "media" Facebook did spike the guy's ad. But Twitter, perhaps under Elon Musk's coming reign, not so much....

Facebook removes GOP Senate candidate Eric Greitens’ ad about ‘hunting’ ‘Republicans in Name Only’

"Facebook has removed an ad from Republican Senate candidate Eric Greitens that shows the GOP candidate armed with a shotgun to “hunt” political foes he dubbed “Republicans in Name Only” – also known as “RINOs”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/facebook-eric-greitens-ad-removed-b2105315.html

But Twitter apparently, not so much:

"Twitter said Greitens’s post violated its rules on abusive behaviour but was leaving it up because it was in the “public’s interest” for the tweet to be viewable. Twitter’s move prevented the post from being shared any further.

Greitens responded by saying “Big Tech” — a term Trump frequently used in reference to large technological companies — were “meddling” in elections and “putting their thumb on the scale”.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/20/trump-allys-campaign-video-blocked-on-social-media-sites

"Greitens was elected governor of Missouri in 2016, but he resigned less than two years later amid allegations of sexually assaulting and blackmailing a woman with whom he had an extramarital affair.

He acknowledged the affair but denied any wrongdoing. Greitens was also accused of misusing a charity donor list to raise campaign funds. Criminal charges against him were ultimately dropped.

Now, Greitens is one of 21 Republicans running to replace retiring Sen. Roy Blunt."

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/20/1106228594/a-missouri-senate-candidate-holds-a-shotgun-and-calls-for-rino-hunting-in-a-new-

Forum topic on the guy's social media post is here:

7 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

The news "media" didn't retract their reporting on that. It was a legit news story.

But social "media" Facebook did spike the guy's ad. But Twitter, perhaps under Elon Musk's coming reign, not so much....

Facebook removes GOP Senate candidate Eric Greitens’ ad about ‘hunting’ ‘Republicans in Name Only’

"Facebook has removed an ad from Republican Senate candidate Eric Greitens that shows the GOP candidate armed with a shotgun to “hunt” political foes he dubbed “Republicans in Name Only” – also known as “RINOs”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/facebook-eric-greitens-ad-removed-b2105315.html

But Twitter apparently, not so much:

"Twitter said Greitens’s post violated its rules on abusive behaviour but was leaving it up because it was in the “public’s interest” for the tweet to be viewable. Twitter’s move prevented the post from being shared any further.

Greitens responded by saying “Big Tech” — a term Trump frequently used in reference to large technological companies — were “meddling” in elections and “putting their thumb on the scale”.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/6/20/trump-allys-campaign-video-blocked-on-social-media-sites

I'm now in two minds about the merits of removing the hate speech. I was dead against it at one time but I read and posted an article which supported allowing it. The upside is that more people would read and understand just how off the rails the GOP and the Trumpians have become and wake up to themselves. The downside is that someone might actually act on that hate speech in much the same way as some idiot attacked a pizza shop wanting to know where the basement was. Also, I'm convinced that Gabby Giffords was shot as a result of hate speech, in particular the targets published by Sarah Palin.

The irony is that if such an event were to happen again, law enforcement would have no choice but to purge their ranks of the domestic terrorist sympathisers and act against these elements. Far more people would be in jail now if the insurrectionists had actually managed to lay a hand on Pence. Certainly, many of them would have been shot. The Trump sympathisers unfortunately have the luxury of a narrative of denial because the violence was limited and did not involve Pence.

43 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Another poster who supports "the dumb one" trying to pin things on Biden over which he has no control whatsoever, and some of which was as a direct result of trumps spending in the government.

Don't know how you read into my post I support the 'dumb one', assuming DT.  Even after I stated many times, I don't like any politician.

Fuel prices & inflation skyrocketed during his short time there .... there's that.  Can't blame that on DT, although they do try.

He cancelled the pipeline, cancelled or banned new drilling leases in AK & Gulf, cancelled immigration restrictions, and if I'm reading things right, a cause of many of the complaints, from dems & reps.  I'd say a good part of oil prices & inflation are his fault.  He's a career politician, so yes, it IS HIS FAULT.

For the record, I don't vote, and haven't for over 40 yrs, if not longer.  Only voted once in a presidential election, and that was '76 or 80', I think.  Aside from that, I only voted locally, district elections, for my favorite local judges ???? and very self serving.  When standing in front of, it's always good to have a friend passing judgement.

I like Biden being president.  Got my largest ever COLA (THANK YOU) and expect an even larger one next year because of his failed policies.  I hope he runs & wins again.  

I hope the price of fuel in the USA hits $10 a gal, and inflation is in the 10-20% range.

• Haha 1

Poll: Biden disapproval hits new high as more Americans say they would vote for Trump
"The survey of 1,541 U.S. adults, which was conducted from June 10-13, found that if another presidential election were held today, more registered voters say they would cast ballots for Donald Trump (44%) than for Biden (42%) — even though the House Jan. 6 committee has spent the last week linking Trump to what it called a “seditious conspiracy” to overturn the 2020 election and laying the groundwork for possible criminal prosecution."

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-biden-disapproval-hits-new-high-as-more-americans-say-they-would-vote-for-trump-090021657.html

Whats it going to take to dethrone the MAGA movement.

2 minutes ago, bocaBob said:

Poll: Biden disapproval hits new high as more Americans say they would vote for Trump
"The survey of 1,541 U.S. adults, which was conducted from June 10-13, found that if another presidential election were held today, more registered voters say they would cast ballots for Donald Trump (44%) than for Biden (42%) — even though the House Jan. 6 committee has spent the last week linking Trump to what it called a “seditious conspiracy” to overturn the 2020 election and laying the groundwork for possible criminal prosecution."

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-biden-disapproval-hits-new-high-as-more-americans-say-they-would-vote-for-trump-090021657.html

Whats it going to take to dethrone the MAGA movement.

a conviction.

• Haha 1