If I wrote, authorising my Thai bank to release funds from my account to a nominee. Wife for example, would they do so? i.e. Funds locked away for visa purposes. The obvious answer I suppose is to ask them.  I just wonder if others here may have had experience.

Edited by Gandtee
punctuation

7 minutes ago, proton said:

Some Banks let wife on the account as co signee, she can take money out on her own. Not a joint account. I did this at Krungsri

Interesting. Accounts that are used as proof of funding for extensions at immigration can't be joint accounts. What was the procedure to allow your wife to become a co-signee but not appear on account ownership? This could be beneficial to those with living wills and the like.

Thanks

NL

• Like 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

Interesting. Accounts that are used as proof of funding for extensions at immigration can't be joint accounts. What was the procedure to allow your wife to become a co-signee but not appear on account ownership? This could be beneficial to those with living wills and the like.

Thanks

NL

I did it after reading about it on here, she can put money in and take it out but not a joint account and immigration do not know as the book remains the same. Not sure if other banks do it, quite easy, for once.

• Like 1

I enquired last week at Bangkok bank to put wifey on my account not as a joint account holder but just named so she can access monies in the event of my death.

There reply "no problem Sir, just bring in your passport, passbook and your marriage certificate"

Now i wonder what they would say if we were not married, anybody have experience ?

• Like 2

Most Thai banks allow a person such as a spouse to be added as a "Signatory or also called Power of Attorney (POA) " to a single owned acct.  The Thai bank will probably use the POA terminology vs Signatory when you are talking to them about it.   The bank has their own POA form (usually a simple one page form) and there is a 30 baht govt stamp fee to process the POA (all done at the bank rep's desk).   The Signatory is authorized to withdraw/transfer funds but is "not" added as an account owner....will "not" appear on the passbook/acct as an account owner.

The Signatory must be present along with the acct owner to complete the POA paperwork.

For those banks like Bangkok Bank that have you sign the last page of the bank passbook where that signature can only be seen under a black light, the Signatory will also sign that page also which means issue of a new passbook.  

Now if you have the special/restricted Bangkok Bank acct used to receive reoccurring U.S. govt payments via ACH like a pension payment a Signatory/POA can not be setup for that acct, but you can setup a Signatory/POA for a regular acct.  

The Thai wife and I are Signatories on each others singled-owned accts at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank with the exception of a special/restricted Bangkok Bank acct I setup over a decade ago when I wanted to receive a U.S. govt pension payment....I later stopped receiving that payment to that special acct but keep the acct open just in case it might come in handy again some day.  When I tried to add the wife as Signatory/POA to that special acct I was told "can not" since it's a special/restricted acct....but I was able to add the wife to my regular (unrestricted) Bangkok Bank accts....no problem....and ditto for my Krungsri acct.

• Like 1

"If I wrote, authorising my Thai bank to release funds from my account to a nominee. Wife for example, would they do so? i.e. Funds locked away for visa purposes. The obvious answer I suppose is to ask them.  I just wonder if others here may have had experience."

No chance! Send her your ATM card.

• Haha 1

In the bank book ,were you sign the signature , your significant other also signs ,

so she is authorised to withdraw funds, as you need UV light to see signatures,

Immigration does not know . just make sure you trust her 100 % ...............

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1