Will covid extension finish early now that Thailand is opening up?

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

I would assume they won't change the date as I was just there and they told me to go back in a week or two.

But I am getting the feeling there won't be another one.

They told me go back close to extension end date because the covid visa starts from day you visit immigration.

They want people to go back after 15 days, so it makes sense.

13 minutes ago, onebaht said:

They told me go back close to extension end date because the covid visa starts from day you visit immigration.

They want people to go back after 15 days, so it makes sense.

Is this new? They usually gave me 60 days from the last day of my visa expiring. 

Logically I would have assumed otherwise, that they would want to spread out the extensions over a longer period to not cause huge line ups at immigration offices.

Edited by dj230

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Is this new? They usually gave me 60 days from the last day of my visa expiring. 

You mean date your extension is expiring.

It appears for the very first covid extension some immigration offices were dating start of extension from the day you applied. 

Subsequent covid extensions from the date your current extension (permit) expired. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Logically I would have assumed otherwise, that they would want to spread out the extensions over a longer period to not cause huge line ups at immigration offices.

I just asked because I seen on this forum people were complaining it had changed to date of application.

Girl did say it's date you apply.

No idea when/if it changed, or if it's just different at certain immigrations. I asked at CM.

Will be first covid ext for me.

Edited by onebaht
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, onebaht said:

I just asked because I seen on this forum people were complaining it had changed to date of application.

Girl did say it's date you apply.

No idea when/if it changed, or if it's just different at certain immigrations. I asked at CM.

Hm, I should have asked while I was there today, I hope they do as usual and extend my visa out 60 days from the last day the visa is expiring

I just got the under consideration stamp and main stamp together today at Surin    First Covid ext and got 60 days starting tomorrow. previous expiry was 23/6  I asked about any changes as I'd also heard a rumour (why do peolpe start things like that) and the officer replied that she had not heard anything  but I'd say she was effectively neither confirming nor denying it

Common sense to me would be that people on the covid extension n would start thinking about the new visa they are going to need.   The government can shut off the tap at an y time it is up to them and if they see any financial gain to be had.

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

Would someone be kind enough to explain how to obtain a COVID visa extension if one entered Thailand visa exempt, to include how much time is required prior to the visa exemption expiration date?  Thank you.

Prior to visa exempt 30 day permission of stay expiring you need to apply for "standard 30 day extension".

Normally that would be done couple of weeks prior to expiry.

A covid extension can be applied for prior to the 30 day extension ending.

Again couple of weeks prior is common

• Thanks 1

How can you justify a further extension if your home country has reopened to residents? 

I have no beef with "Covid Expats" they helped the economy, did the right thing, and made the system work for them!

I'm just amazed this is still a valid extension. Even New Zealand has been open for months now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Would someone be kind enough to explain how to obtain a COVID visa extension if one entered Thailand visa exempt, to include how much time is required prior to the visa exemption expiration date?  Thank you.

If this extension is still a valid option, any visa or entry permit, can be extended using this method.

In November my annual retirement extension expired. I realised I could live on in Thailand without it, just by periodically returning to any of the three countries I have right of residence, and return by air as a tourist, without the expensive pain in the ain that the annual extension has always been, there's zero benefits to it anyway, unless Thailand is your only option in old age.

But aaaanyway,

I switched to a Covid extension to buy time to leave after new years, when I was booked into Quarantine in my home country. 

The decision period itself is also valuable. Even if they decline, you've bought yourself extra time while they review your application. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

How can you justify a further extension if your home country has reopened to residents?

That's your personal interpretation of reason for gov providing covid extensions.

Which of course is irrelevant as it is in the gazette. Full stop. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, chalawaan said:

If this extension is still a valid option, any visa or entry permit, can be extended using this method.

Not a non-immigrant B visa. My colleague was forced to leave the country in March after no Covid extensions were possible. That, apparently, was country-wide.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, onebaht said:

I'm due to go back around the 20th. It just feels like it's cutting it close if Thailand is already open by them, but be great if 25th won't change. Hopefully it even gets extended.

There is absolutely no reason why they should extend it anymore

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, audaciousnomad said:

In that case, what they told you is correct. For the first one, it is indeed effective on date of application.

I applied for first covid extension 2 weeks before entry stamp expired, got 60 days from entry stamp, not date of application

I was just informed by my visa agent that the covid extension rules had " changed recently" and now getting a 30 day exemption on arrival, will require you to first apply for a 30 day extension before you can apply for a 60 day covid extension.  

Anyone know anything about this?  

1 minute ago, cantdrive55 said:

I was just informed by my visa agent that the covid extension rules had " changed recently" and now getting a 30 day exemption on arrival, will require you to first apply for a 30 day extension before you can apply for a 60 day covid extension.  

That has always been the case.

Nothing new. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cantdrive55 said:

It's always been that way, have to get 30 day exemption first before covid 60 day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cantdrive55 said:

It has always been this way, from my experience.

I arrived in December 2021 on a tourist visa. 2 months later, when I went to get that extended, I was told I needed to get the 30 day extension first before applying for a 60 day Covid extension.

Keep in mind, the rule has generally been 60 days from the date of application for your first Covid extension, and then 60 days from the end of the previous Covid extension for any subsequent Covid extensions.

Note: The above depends on the office you're applying in and the IO who's stamping you in. I've only ever done my visa extensions in Chaengwattana (Bangkok).

On 6/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, MarcelV said:

Covid extensions will be around as long as the emergency decree is still around. MARK MY <deleted> WORDS!

I am afraid that the Emergency Decree will be around a long time, irrespective of Covid. Let's say, as long as there are protesters.

• Sad 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, chalawaan said:

I have no beef with "Covid Expats" they helped the economy, did the right thing, and made the system work for them!

I'm just amazed this is still a valid extension. Even New Zealand has been open for months now.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, DrJack54 said:

That's your personal interpretation of reason for gov providing covid extensions.

Which of course is irrelevant as it is in the gazette. Full stop. 

He (cha) asked a valid question. You (J54) are right in saying that the gov't decides for their own reasons, and it has decided. But the point remains that for a normal average person it is a mystery why Thailand is still providing covid-extensions, when basically the whole world has reopened. Perhaps connected to the emergency decree?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1