I'm not tipping anymore I don't give a

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I had this happen ONCE...i told her to stop..got up--got dressed and paid for the time and left.

as it was obvious what the next hour was going to be like......

as far as the tip for her?   heres one dont ask a customer halfway thru a massage about a TIP!

The ladies are just trying to find out if the guy wants a special 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

massage woman half way through the massage ,how much you tip me she says ?

Your tip will determine the results. 

Happy ending is more than the 300 baht oil massage price advertised. 

The more you tip, the happier you will be. 

BTW, you reckon you got some strange looks after you handing over a tip, wait and see the looks you get when you don't tip. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, Regyai said:

This topic reminds me of the scene from Reservoir  Dogs... 

Funny tipping story happened to me yesterday... I always tip the Bolt driver 20 THB + whatever satang to round it up so I gets 90 THB ready for a 67 THB fare. GF sees me get 2x20s & a 50 ready, takes it from me & when we got home, gives him 100 THB.

I pointed out that I was already tipping him approx. 33% of the fare & she'd now increased it to 50%, her reply was that gas was expensive now & if I will buy drink for a lady then I can tip the driver an extra 10 THB... Can't really argue with that ???? 

11 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Very true. Thai culture involves small bits of giving every day, to the monks, to stray dogs, to each other. As affluent community members, a bit of tipping and temple donating goes a long way.

For me personally, I would rather tip and help out where I can, within Thai society. I am not a supporter of the temples, and do not really see the great service they are providing for the people. Perhaps you can clue me in, if I am wrong about this. 

• Thanks 1

The temple is also the spiritual repository of accrued merit for the community. Whether you buy into their version of Buddhism or not, most Thai people appreciate it if you give something to a temple and add to that pile 'o merit.

If I lived in a devout catholic place, I would likewise toss some change into their stained glass fund.

10 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

If I lived in a devout catholic place, I would likewise toss some change into their stained glass fund.

Hence the saying "Is that Fanny Green  on the front pew, no its just the light thro' the stained glass window" ????

21 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

The temple is also the spiritual repository of accrued merit for the community. Whether you buy into their version of Buddhism or not, most Thai people appreciate it if you give something to a temple and add to that pile 'o merit.

Unbelievable the pressure that's on girls to send money home for merit, should be a crime really

My religious baseline: Is this faith-based action any nuttier than the wholly accepted Mormon Church? 

I come from the Bible Belt. Senior citizens who can't really afford it routinely send heating oil money to some awful minister. But if that's their belief system, I can't really fault it.

I gave $20 to a wat near the airport in Luang Prubang. And then 2 days later, I heard about it from my the hotel desk clerk. Western giving is def noticed. 

I meant to support S-Mike's contention that little gifts in this little gift culture are generally appreciated and not necessarily seen as proof of sucker-dom.

That story may be of a certain vintage. I was there 4 years ago. Tips are happily accepted everywhere now. Starbucks has a tip jar.

What gets a tipping thread more agitated than the very concept of a tipping jar? All over Australia, veins are popping out of foreheads like garden hoses at the mere mention. 

In Manhattan, a couple of months ago, I saw a tip jar at a dry cleaner's.  It didn't have any money in it.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, Walker88 said:

In a bar? Tip my server always. If it's an agogo, buy the server a drink sometimes, too. If a woman on stage dances well---I don't mean sexy, but rather is fluid and coordinated (think Michael Jackson or JT Taylor of Kool & the Gang), and also working to make customers enjoy the night---I will discreetly slip her a folded 1000 baht note as I leave the club.

For 1000 baht, I could have a long night of pleasure and sex with the best girl from Soi 6. Swallowing included. What you do is not a tip, it is a kind of perversion. I only hope they don't report you to police after you leave.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Confused 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, Walker88 said:

In a bar? Tip my server always. If it's an agogo, buy the server a drink sometimes, too. If a woman on stage dances well---I don't mean sexy, but rather is fluid and coordinated (think Michael Jackson or JT Taylor of Kool & the Gang), and also working to make customers enjoy the night---I will discreetly slip her a folded 1000 baht note as I leave the club.

I'd expect her to come home with me for that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I have seen the greatest ballet and modern dancer on earth. I never felt like directly giving any of the $33.

This is because they don't have those Happy Beer Hours at the places they use for the ballet shows.

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

In upcountry Thailand I feel tipping is not expected at smaller restaurants. I think tipping at smaller restaurants is a tourist thing.

I often tip smaller amounts at tourist places. Mostly I think ti is appreciated even if only 10 baht. Never tipped for laundry.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The ladies are just trying to find out if the guy wants a special 

im the type that asks before i even step inside the shop.....so no "misunderstandings"

but very aware when i was a newbie of the thai massage "drive by" in that area to get u in the mood......luckliy for me i ask for the "hansum" discount.....(5 bt)

On 6/23/2022 at 12:00 AM, Jingthing said:

I'm not sure Americans "love" tipping, but back there if you don't tip massively you invite being verbally assaulted. It's more like we're conditioned to tip. It is REQUIRED. 

That's true JT. Years ago before I went on a holiday to America. I read that I should be prepared to spend 20% of my spending money on tips. I decided there and then, no tips at all, though I wasn't stupid enough to go to a restaurant a second time.

I've got a gripe.

These American chains, Hard Rock etc. they put a tip on the bill, bloody rude. 

I was working in Malaysia a few years back, I was a regular at the Hard Rock in KL. 

Friday evenings, the joint was so busy, very little service, waiting ages for a drink but I still had to pay a forced tip. 

Sadly, I see this rude behavior (forced tipping) is flowing on to many businesses now. 

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

they figure if youre foolish enough to buy SB coffee why not waste more money....

Some forms of begging, like in front of the BTS station, are bad. Some forms, like tip jars at Starbucks are fine.

Like when my nephew's want to sell me a $1 candy bar for a fiver to help them with their footie shirts; why am I involved? And it's not like their parents aren't rich. But this bit of faux-work is thought to be character-building and I am expected to faux-support them. I'd rather give money to a blind Issan singer on Soi 11.

Great Seinfeld ep where George keeps trying to get noticed and appreciated when putting money in a tip jar and the staff keeps turning their back on him. I have felt that pain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's true JT. Years ago before I went on a holiday to America. I read that I should be prepared to spend 20% of my spending money on tips. I decided there and then, no tips at all, though I wasn't stupid enough to go to a restaurant a second time.

Lol, a mate of mine almost ended up in a fight with a waiter in New York as he refused to pay a tip. 

The waiter was just obnoxious & my mate had lived there for a few years so knew the score but it was still something that you don't normally see in a restaurant

I've since learnt that "Servers" in the US are taxed on the assumption that they will receive a certain percentage of every bill as a tip so by not tipping them you're costing them money (in this case the <deleted> deserved it). 

Tipping in the USA essentially is built-in for service industries as they're usually receiving minimum wage, which clearly is insufficient to completely support one's needs so tips help fill the gap..

The IRS even assumes a component of their income will be from undisclosed tips and are taxed on it.

I agree with the poster who said tipping here is more about sharing than gratuity. 

It has usually not been my experience that a received tip has not been appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lol, a mate of mine almost ended up in a fight with a waiter in New York as he refused to pay a tip. 

The waiter was just obnoxious & my mate had lived there for a few years so knew the score but it was still something that you don't normally see in a restaurant

I've since learnt that "Servers" in the US are taxed on the assumption that they will receive a certain percentage of every bill as a tip so by not tipping them you're costing them money (in this case the <deleted> deserved it). 

That is America's fault, the employers should not be so greedy and pay their workers a decent wage. There is no way I was going to pay 20% of my holiday money on tips in any country.

• Like 2