I'm not tipping anymore I don't give a

3 hours ago, stereolab said:

You are not wrong, generally speaking they provide little to local communities. Have a look and see how the top Monk in a temple actually lives, they are treated like Gods.  Each temple has one key goal, and that is to acquire more land to build larger, fancier buildings than their rival temple. 

Been to Vatican City lately? 

5 hours ago, stereolab said:

You are not wrong, generally speaking they provide little to local communities. 

-They provide little to YOU. The community accrues merit via gifts to the temple.

When I wanted to visit a remote meditation center outside of Mae Hong Son, the driver was happy to give me a reasonable price.

By delivering me and my donation, he too would be accruing merit. He also brought along a box of soap powder. My karma-driven appearance before him was a merit-multiplier, and had the opportunity been let to pass, a merit deficient.

I researched Buddhism in Laos for a while and they have the most beautiful, folk art-funky temples in Asia. A lot of them are being redone in a more modern Thai-style via Thai donations. Middle class Thai's accrue merit by giving their poorer brethren a "nicer" temple.

Lao people also like a nicer temple. My well-intentioned Westerner idea's about historic preservation and the beauty of the folk art style are not relevant at all to Thai and Lao Buddhists.

Nor, respectfully, is your assessment of what the temples do and don't provide.

There's one in every town, these poor people are voting with their wallets on their worth, and have done so for centuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

-They provide little to YOU. The community accrues merit via gifts to the temple.

When I wanted to visit a remote meditation center outside of Mae Hong Son, the driver was happy to give me a reasonable price.

By delivering me and my donation, he too would be accruing merit. He also brought along a box of soap powder. My karma-driven appearance before him was a merit-multiplier, and had the opportunity been let to pass, a merit deficient.

I researched Buddhism in Laos for a while and they have the most beautiful, folk art-funky temples in Asia. A lot of them are being redone in a more modern Thai-style via Thai donations. Middle class Thai's accrue merit by giving their poorer brethren a "nicer" temple.

Lao people also like a nicer temple. My well-intentioned Westerner idea's about historic preservation and the beauty of the folk art style are not relevant at all to Thai and Lao Buddhists.

Nor, respectfully, is your assessment of what the temples do and don't provide.

There's one in every town, these poor people are voting with their wallets on their worth, and have done so for centuries.

I am not sure how many our very large village has, it is around 14 in the immediate area, overkill. I have 2 BIL as Monks, both senior.  This is my experience, I have no time for any religious beliefs.

I live in the extreme Bible Belt of America. My town of 70 people has 3 churches. The diff with Thailand is that their temples will be fairly full and my 3 churches will have 6 people in them -all with very white hair.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, SymS said:

but when I traveled in Cambodia tip was often expected or they would even get angry.

It's more a case of "free extra money from foreigners is expected because they are perceived as rich and the locals resent it", since tipping isn't a normal thing in SEA.

We should at least call it what it is, whether we like to do it or not.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 6:35 AM, Iamfalang said:

Thai people are poorer than falang,

This just isn't true.

And I ain't just talking about the Thais driving BMWs or my condo landlord.

The typical villager with a million baht rice field (which is typical) probably has a higher net worth than the average farang English teacher here.

1 minute ago, 2009 said:

The typical villager with a million baht rice field (which is typical) probably has a higher net worth than the average farang English teacher here.

Also, the average taxi driver can make 30k a month EASY which isn't far off what many farang a teaching for around the country.

A waitress or regular massage therapist can make 20k EASY.

These are uneducated people making decent money from their trade or business. Why would you think of them as being poor?

Even two Thai teachers married (or government officers, police, soldiers etc. etc.) earning 15k (minimum) a month have a household income of 30k.

But people would probably think the farang teacher is better off earning that on his own (while his bludger wife brings nothing to the table). Yet the household income is the same.

Not all farang here are retired millionaires.

Many here are working and not earning a fortune and are basically single parents with several dependants including a wife. 

The way I look at his, is that there are many situations where tips look greatly appreciated, and very few where there are no visible sign of appreciation.

And the appreciation seen in voice tones and body language gives me a warm feeling, that outweigh by a lot the fewer cases of ingratitude.

So I walk with a smile.....

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, BangkokReady said:

It's more a case of "free extra money from foreigners is expected because they are perceived as rich and the locals resent it", since tipping isn't a normal thing in SEA.

We should at least call it what it is, whether we like to do it or not.

Exactly.

My problem with tipping is this scenario:

I go to a farang pub and spend 1000 on pubgrub and pints and I choose to tip 20%, so she gets 200 baht, regardless of service -- may be good, maybe not good.

She then goes to a Thai steakhouse (where there is waitstaff service) and spends that 200 on, let's say, a pork steak and an iced drink (which is not an uncommon thing for Thais of various classes to do from time to time).

Would she leave even 20 baht (10%)? You would think she could. But not likely. Maybe if there's 2 baht change or something she might leave it (but only because her ego won't let her pick it up, not because she wants to tip the staff).

Now, let's suppose this waitress in the Thai steakhouse is your own daughter!

I say, when in Rome (or Thailand), do as the locals do. Save your tips for your kids. Don't go throwing your money around. Maybe on rare circumstances when service has been particularly good, okay.

That said, I'd always tip in my home country (because they tip others).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yes but as my old farmer landowner boss used to say 

The shop won't accept a lump of sod as payment for my groceries 

Its more about disposable income in the rural areas than net worth 

True.

They are asset rich, liquid poor. Other people like myself are liquid rich, asset poor.

BUT it ain't a reason to think, "This person is poor; I'd better be charitable."

Edited by 2009

On 6/23/2022 at 5:21 AM, georgegeorgia said:

The last few days being new in town for my holiday I have stupidity tipped,worked out last few days around 5k.

For what? No thanks,some just look at the tip and walk off ,couldn't even acknowledge it,so Fk it no more !

You did the right thing as a holiday goer IMO. I do not think tipping is ever really "stupid" if you enjoyed the time, the meal, the ride, etc... I only tip ladies after their performance if it was good or memorable.  Restaurants I tip because of the food, not the waitress.  Bars always seem to appreciate a tip, but I rarely tip bars as I have already bought lady drinks, so that is where I even things out for them.  

Some expats never tip, some do and plenty on vacation do, so it all evens out 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:34 AM, RichardColeman said:

tipped 5k in a few days ? What do they say about a fool and his money ?

That's nuts.

Even if I tipped 250 when I go out once a week, that's still 1000 a month. 12 grand a year.

That's still a lot. That's my health insurance or my car insurance, for example. That's a family holiday to the beach, even.

I mean, the service had better be good. Lol

Fortunately, the service I experience in the depths of lower Sukhumvit is never really worth tipping for.

Better stick the cash in your kid's piggy bank when you get home.