I'm not tipping anymore I don't give a

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

But do expats living in tourist areas actually tip everyday for every service ?

I live in Samui and I do not tip for every service every day.

I tip hairdresser, restaurants, flower seller at the temple and the guy who delivers my booze.

Always small tips but a bonus at Christmas and Songkhran.

• Like 1

When I first came to Thailand I was pleasantly surprised to find people who actually put fuel in the car for me and collected the payment at my window. I didn't have to get out to operate the pump nor walk inside to pay! 

I was happy to tip 100baht each time.

Then one of these people stole from me by failing to put any fuel in when I was in a hurry, I was lucky to make it home with a near empty tank. I never tipped them again and calculated that about every tenth fill-up cost me nothing thanks to that one thief who cruelled it for all.

I still don't bother to pick up change coins at a restaurant.

Sounds like your having a terrible holiday.

Tipping for good service is standard practice.  

Leave the tip,  and feel good for helping these workers support themselves and thier families. 

Don't expect accolades for doing it. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Never been to the US? 

To be fair, yes in the US tips are expected for waitresses in restaurants, bars etc, but the service is generally pretty good in my experience

Have you ever been to the UK?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The last few days being new in town for my holiday I have stupidity tipped,worked out last few days around 5k.

As far as I know Thais don't tip.

You just don't do that in here.

They might round up the bill amount but that's it.

Restaurants usually charge you 10% for the service.

You can throw in an additional 50 to 100THB for good measure.

This is how I do it:

- Taxis >> round up

- Bars and local restaurants >> 20THB + annoying coins

- Western-style restaurants >> 100THB

- Massage girls >> 100THB

I don't really care about how they treat me.

Thais can be pretty weird sometimes.

I don't judge.

Also I don't like to give any tip directly.

I leave it on the table or something you know.

Anyway. I hope you'll have a better run of things in the future OP ????

1 hour ago, stoner said:
4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A massage woman half way through the massage ,how much you tip me she says ?

dude that was your in....

I am sure he must have known that... it wasn't a tip though the word might have been used by the masseuse, it was a re-negotiation of a service contract... how else do you get to 5,000 baht? an experienced masseuse will have radar letting them know who might be named Charlie... the masseuse wants to make sure there is a proper agreement in place... 

2 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Thais can be pretty weird sometimes.

Thankfully farang aren't ever weird...

oh, can I give you examples!!

Especially farang who are particularly cheap and don't know the local language and customs and expect everything to be the same as back home and don't have the power to understand that there are cultural differences. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I had a job done recently by an Electrical guy, he drove 20km to me, spent 3 hrs sorting out a problem, 45minutes of that in the roof space with 36 deg heat so lord knows what it was like up in that space. When it was all finished, the electrical issiue fixed , he asked for 400 baht ! I gave him double !

I wouldnt have even come out that distance for 400 let alone what he did altogether. So yeah, that boy got a good tip ! Amazing service and VALUE in my book.

Imagine what the cost wouldve been in the West.

Generally out and about, no I dont tip unless its not bothering with "shrapnel" with change, and I dont regard that as a tip, more a convenience for me as I hate coins.

Yeah I pay what they're worth. I've tipped taxi drivers double, and just one or two times I've flipped a tuk tuk driver a half fare and done a runner.

One sod in Nong Khai, I said to the misses "you distract him and I'll cut his ignition wire", but she wouldn't be in it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sipi said:

Yeah I pay what they're worth. I've tipped taxi drivers double, and just one or two times I've flipped a tuk tuk driver a half fare and done a runner.

One sod in Nong Khai, I said to the misses "you distract him and I'll cut his ignition wire", but she wouldn't be in it.

Oh what a rascal you are .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Especially farang who are particularly cheap and don't know the local language and customs and expect everything to be the same as back home and don't have the power to understand that there are cultural differences. 

Says a 2 week millionaire.

Calling people 'cheap' is an indefensible position, the price advertised is the only price anyone needs to pay. If you want to pay more than the advertised price, I'll call that 'stupid'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Thailand has not a tipping culture as in the United States for example . The waiters  depend on tips to make a livable wage in the US . 

I have stopped having a beer at a local foreigners bar on this issue of tipping . 

I like to buy a beer as I order them and then the guy serving would throw a plate under my nose with the change . If I never left any change I was often accused of being a cheap charlie .

I asked the guy to forget the tray when i order a beer , That fell on deaf ears .

Now I forget to go there and have a beer in a Thai bar that is far cheaper and no tray thrust at me . 

Yes I do tip the bar person often at the Thai bar . Mostly received reluctantly , so i say now its for the ice .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tip according to circumstances. I am acutely aware there are some Thais who only have one-third or one-quarter of the income they used to have pre-COVID.

I won't tip if the service is perfunctory. As I have developed a network of services I know are reliable, I always tip them.

I trust the OP feels better now.

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Says a 2 week millionaire.

Calling people 'cheap' is an indefensible position, the price advertised is the only price anyone needs to pay. If you want to pay more than the advertised price, I'll call that 'stupid'.

Sure, there are no cheap farang who come here... my mistake? But, I don't think that ladies in massage shops advertise prices for special services. And I would bet that any w/experience have a pretty good idea who might be cheap. 

A masseuse once told me of a young man who wanted special services, then after, dashed out of the shop w/o even paying for the massage... but you are saying calling him cheap is indefensible - I am saying he was cheap... 

2 week millionaire? Really? Is that what you are calling me?